Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Full-time Airstream questions

Jo Ann and I have been full-timing in our 40' Foretravel MH since 2014. Those days are perhaps coming to an end in the next couple of months. We have a party that is very interested in buying our Foretravel, which would mean that we will be in the market for an Airstream. I've accepted a temporary part-time position, which includes a house, so it will be easy to empty the Foretravel, clean it, and let it go away. We can then trade the towed for a pickup and find an Airstream.

We originally focused in early 2000's 34' Airstreams, but lately have expanded to late 90's to early 2000's 30-34' Airstreams. Our preference is for one without slides, but a slide is not necessarily a disqualification. It isn't, however, worth any more than the same Airstream without a slide.

We have a winter home base, but NO house, so we will be living in the Airstream 100% of the time. The home base is basically a storage building that will allow us to offload things that we won't be needing until the next time we are there.

Questions:

Should we consider the 28' Airstreams? I suspect that, for full-time use, they might be a bit cramped.

Most of the Airstreams I've seen for sale have only a single a/c, which means 30A service. Have any of you retrofitted a second a/c and upgraded to 50A service?

I'm looking at a 2013-2017 F250/F350 or similar as a tow vehicle. The F350 or similar will be single rear wheel. All trucks should be diesel, preferably with 4WD. A cap will be added if the truck doesn't already have one.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or advice you may have. You can, of course, respond directly to this post, send me a PM, or email me. My edress is my forum name at gmail.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We are in a 2018 30 classic with ‘17 ram 2500 diesel long bed. We full time and wouldn’t change it for the world. We could image ourselves in a smaller unit and still be comfortable full timing. Probably no less than 27’ assuming floor plan looks great.

Ours does have 50a service and two ACs. I would highly recommend two ACs as during hot days the interior can get very warm and one AC just wouldn’t keep up.

You’ll also see in the later year airstreams that the ACs become ducted to quiet the process down slightly. I believe there is a transition to wider bodies as well at some point but don’t have the specific year.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

North Augusta , South Carolina
I full time in a 2016 27FB alone most of the time and it is the perfect size. When my partner is with me in the trailer it can get a little cramped after about a week. I think if we were both going to full time we’d find a layout that offered two separate spaces to hang out (like a dinette and a couch) in a 28 or 30ft.

I tow with a Silverado 1500 with trailering package. It’s also my commuter vehicle, so I wanted to go as small as I could safely go and still reliably pull the trailer. When it’s time to buy a new truck I will get something bigger so I don’t think twice about towing in all terrains (like mountains).

The things that I wouldn’t want to do without are my walk around bed (in 27ft and larger) and my ducted AC (in 2015 and newer).
saraed is online now   Reply With Quote