Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
KLK
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Wimberley , Texas
Exclamation FEMA Discrimination against full-time RVers

I live permanently in my restored 1966 30’ Sovereign Airstream on private property in New Braunfels, TX.
We had a FEMA declared emergency due to a winder storm in February of 2021.
My Airstream was totaled. I went to the FEMA site and followed all of the instructions and made a claim. It was early on, so not all of the damage was visible at that time. Later, when I could finally get a Professional Mobile RV Repairman’s estimate, it confirmed everything I had told FEMA. They closed my claim. I utilized the help of Senator John Cornyn’s office devoted to helping his constituents deal with federal agencies. I was still denied twice.
My last call to FEMA was last week, the first week in May of 2023, and was told over and over again that I have exhausted my appeals.
I asked how FEMA could just completely ignore my expert damage estimate and received nothing but the canned answer, “Ma’am, you have exhausted all of your FEMA appeals, repeat, repeat.” I thanked her and ended the call.

Has anyone else experienced problems with FEMA?
Old 05-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Talking to a lawyer would probably be your best course of action. They should know if anything can be done. Many offer free consultations.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I may be wrong however I am going to make a suggestion that FEMA's mission is to step in on a named weather events where damage has been done to a permanent dwelling unit.

You live (or lived) in a travel trailer on your land. (By your choice.) The travel trailer is not Real Estate nor is it a permanent structure on the land. It is considered personal property just like all vehicles. And vehicle that FEMA does render help with has to be currently registered and licensed and conform to any state laws. Like having liability insurance.

Because your trailer is not considered Real Estate it would be my guess that FEMA draws the line at providing assistance in repairing/replacing your trailer. So FEMA may offer assistance on one vehicle, just not multiple.

You may have had some choices prior to the event. Insurance would have been one and moving the trailer would have been another. I feel for you if you had no money for either. Or if the trailer was not in a condition to be moved.

As to replacing or repairing the Airstream, that may not happen without insurance coverage. However there are charitable organizations that would likely provide assistance. Or you may be able to get some other trailer. Especially if availability and/or a lower cost is necessary.

FEMAs mission is not to make people whole as to prior to the event. That is the mission of insurance for the most part. FEMA is there to handle people that have no place to live. Not to fix or replace recreational vehicles.

Action
Old 05-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The FEMA rules state that they provide support to repair a primary residence where insurance is insufficient or not available.

Disaster assistance in Canada is very similar. Primary residence only (if you rent a house out, you are not eligible), and the intent is to allow you to carry on living, but not to make you whole and cover all losses the way insurance would. For example, basic clothing and furniture needs are covered, but only up to modest limits.

There obviously is something in the details that disqualifies RVs used as primary residences. What were the reasons given when your appeals were unsuccessful?
Old 05-06-2023, 06:00 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
FEMA...How are they liable for an Airstream?

Private property, should have had coverage required if they had folks living on the property.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
We were flooded in Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and dealt with FEMA. FEMA, including its National Flood Insurance Program, covers losses only to a permanent structure used as a primary residence. Nothing outside the footprint of the house, including landscaping, decks, and other ancillary structures, is covered. While my vehicles were not damaged, if they had been, FEMA would not have paid anything for them.

In addition, most of the homes on our block did not have flood insurance; we did have flood insurance. FEMA handed out fat checks to the people who didn’t have flood insurance, and gave nothing (aside from temporary relocation expense reimbursement) to those of us with flood insurance.

Unfair, if you ask me.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
Old 05-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My guess is the reason for the denial is simply that an Airstream is not certified for full-time living as a residence like a mobile home would be.

There must be some reason for the denial, and I'd be starting by filing an open records request to find out what that reason was.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
Old 05-07-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
My guess is the reason for the denial is simply that an Airstream is not certified for full-time living as a residence like a mobile home would be.

There must be some reason for the denial, and I'd be starting by filing an open records request to find out what that reason was.
The rules need updating as a lot of people are using campers/vans/trucks/motorhomes as permanent residences now that housing is becoming excessively expensive for many people.

Any full time reasonable living residence should be added to the FEMA and insurance rules for disaster coverage.

Why should something like these:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAdAAAAABDzAQ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...r4kDegUIARCAAg

be covered, when it is obviously not as good/safe/healthy living arrangements as something like these:

https://vandogtraveller.com/diy-camper-van-conversion/

https://www.maxim.com/rides/biggest-...r-ever-2017-1/

Choosing to live in a modern trailer because it is a better situation than a crappy run down mobile or cabin sounds like a perfect case of a sane decision to me.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Why should tax payers be on the hook for something that has no permanent foundation and would not meet hurricanes and probably a bunch of other codes.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Because many can not afford a typical structure. Modular housing can be the equivalent two 12’ x 65’ trailers sharing a common roof connection and be sitting on piers of blocks. That is recognized housing and can be financed.

Thus a travel trailer that is the only living device one owns and lives in full time should meet the requirements of being a residence

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Why should tax payers be on the hook for something that has no permanent foundation and would not meet hurricanes and probably a bunch of other codes.
I agree completely, Did the OP not have insurance?

I never understood why the government helps out in a disaster such a flooding that affects many homes but do nothing if its only 1 home. Or when the same place is destroyed more than once and they keep rebuilding in the same spot.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Because many can not afford a typical structure. Modular housing can be the equivalent two 12’ x 65’ trailers sharing a common roof connection and be sitting on piers of blocks. That is recognized housing and can be financed.

Thus a travel trailer that is the only living device one owns and lives in full time should meet the requirements of being a residence
Modular homes have anchoring requirements and more. Just like traditional homes they have codes and required inspections. They cant just be placed in a field and moved into. Travel trailers have none of this.

There are other avenues for government assistance for those who can’t afford homes.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
I am curious how a winter storm totaled the Airstream. Wind damage?
Old 05-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Doesn’t Airstream say in their manuals and literature that their travel trailers are not built nor certified to be full time residences? FEMA probably read that.

But then on the other hand, FEMA ordered hundreds of white box trailers reeking of formaldehyde to be built for emergency housing after Katrina. Got smart after a while and got rid of them. Anyone buy one?

Go figure.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Old 05-07-2023, 04:19 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Many things can be financed.

However for a home loan (or some people call it a mortgage) it is only granted for permanent dwellings. A manufactured home permanently affixed to a foundation is considered a permanent dwelling.

Any vehicle with wheels currently or as described above as sitting on piers of blocks would not meet the standard to qualify for a home loan backed by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, VA or USDA. They still can be financed. Just like a truck or trailer can be financed. It is a consumer loan not a home loan.

Action
Old 05-07-2023, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So sorry for what you went thru.

So many people are residing in varying types of living accomodations these days. Clearly as the definitions and styles of dwellings and residences changes there will need to be or likely be some changes in the definitions of what qualifies for FEMA relief.

And of course always get insurance if you can afford it.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
My first thought too.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 05-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Doesn’t Airstream say in their manuals and literature that their travel trailers are not built nor certified to be full time residences? FEMA probably read that.

But then on the other hand, FEMA ordered hundreds of white box trailers reeking of formaldehyde to be built for emergency housing after Katrina. Got smart after a while and got rid of them. Anyone buy one?

Go figure.
Yes. I know someone who bought a used FEMA Special for what seemed like a good price, from an RV dealer who did not tell him about the low quality build. The main problem was they were made to move and park once with very lightweight frames. The first time he took it camping the frame bent on a dirt road. This caused a body sag, seam separations, and leaks that made the trailer a box full of problems. He parked it in the driveway for a few years until he paid off the loan. It sits there there still, along with the suburban that pulled it. Before I knew it was crap I asked about buying it, that is how I got the story of what was wrong with it.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Modular homes have anchoring requirements and more. Just like traditional homes they have codes and required inspections. They cant just be placed in a field and moved into. Travel trailers have none of this.

There are other avenues for government assistance for those who can’t afford homes.
Over 1/2 the houses in the US do not meet current codes for extreme condition survival. Why should even insurance companies or anybody cover what is an obvious problem in a recurrent problem area. Some areas of the US flood or get extreme storms every year (the number of those is rapidly increasing as the climate changes). Living there after seeing the regular storm damage, in a building not constructed to survive the problem without damage, is not quite intelligent or prudent.

https://floodlist.com/america/usa

https://theconversation.com/new-floo...s-stark-175958
Old 05-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
According to the FEMA website there may be some relief for damage to an "essential vehicle". Not only is your trailer an essential vehicle, it is also your home. It seems to me that it's only fair that you get some relief. The problem you have is that you will probably have to file a lawsuit to have your situation heard. Sometimes the mere process of filing will get you some attention and with luck you may get someone to call you and offer a settlement without even going to court. FEMA doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars defending small lawsuits like yours. Even sending lawyers to court to get your case thrown out will cost them a bundle.

I am guessing that you'll have a hard time finding a lawyer to represent you in this, but you can easily file a suit yourself. Courts are generally very friendly to pro se litigants and they will cut you a lot of slack.
Closed Thread