Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Experience with Canadian Customs

This question is for fulltimers. At Sumas, WA we pulled up to the open window and talked to the first CC Officer at the gate. After going through her checklist of things that are and are not allowed (We had no guns, ammunition, potatoes, apples, carrots, fireworks, etc.) the Officer shifted her focus to our SD residency. Several times during the conversation she mentioned our fulltiming and was particularly interested in how we travel and where we receive mail. After she finished with her questioning she gave us our passports and her check list, told us to park in one of their bays nearby and report to the CC Officers inside the adjacent building.

Inside we had to go through a second set of screening questions. We disclosed everything that they asked about. After reviewing the check list, the second CC Officer began the conversation by stating "Looks like we have a lot to work with here." The only thing remarkable was the fact that we were not carrying any prohibited goods and that we were fulltimers. After casually talking to us together she separated us and asked me more questions about guns and other contraband. Again, I said that we have nothing in the trailer or tow vehicle that they would have a problem with.

The CC Officer then wanted to talk to my wife separately. She asked my wife a similar set of questions and again made a point of our being fulltimers. Once she finished, the Officer told me that they were going to search our trailer and tow vehicle and wanted the keys to both.

While three officers were tossing our rig, two Officers took us to separate rooms and searched us as though we had been arrested. They went out of their way to make sure we understood that the Officers are trained to subdue us if we did not follow their orders.

Ultimately they found nothing but an unopened package of fresh corn during their search of us and our rig. At 7pm we were told that we were free to travel in Canada but that the Customs Officers or police could search our vehicle at any time, anywhere.

We have traveled in Europe (including Russia), the Middle East, SE Asia, Mexico and Canada several times but have never been treated as suspects who are involved in some kind of smuggling venture. These folks went out of their way to try and intimidate us and made sure that we understood they could order us out of the country at any time.

What was your experience with Canadian Customs Officers?

Have you heard of anyone else who has had their rig searched for no reason?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Sorry about this unfortunate event! I was afraid to respond to you for a moment for fear that your being spies or terrorists would somehow connect us on our next trip up ;^)...but seriously....they were either following some cryptic border profile, or perhaps some long distant recorded event in your lives popped up in the "network", or they saw full-timers as dangerous vagrants, performing a nasty training exercise, or lasty were just being mean bullies having a bad day!

Our only out of norm experience so far has been to be asked to pull over, submit passports, and answer a few stern routine questions while our profiles were searched...all told about 15 minutes in and out.

You had no trouble coming back? I suspect that customs share data?
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you can read in my blog about our two hour harassment, at the Canadian border, during our cross country trip last year. We made a "U" turn at the border.

"Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It can sometimes seem for no reason at all that customs, US or Canadian do what they do and take it to whatever level they do; but there's always a reason......

We have a fairly lax imigration enforcement policy in this country, so once inside you are considered and treated with the same rights as Canadian residents under the Canadian constitution, thus the border is the only place we can stop terrorists, criminals or people that wish to take advantage of our healthcare system and other reason, such as jumping the immigration cue.

I can only surmise that you both are not young bucks anymore so if something should happen to you health wise, there is nowhere in the US we could legally return you for treatment, which would increase Canada's exposure to possible or probable expensive healthcare costs, with no possibility of compensation.

I'm also not sure of South Dakota's guns laws but it has been Canada customs experience that any American travelling extensively, especially full timers, will be packing heat. Most Americans have guns, it's a fact, and if your trailer is your home, where are the guns?

Any country, that includes the US, are very hesistant of allowing people into their countries that have NO ties, financial or residency into their countries. If I were to try and cross the US border and declare that my trailer is my home, I have no doubt at all that I would be turned away; no doubt at all. Any country that you visit, wants you to eventually go home; if you're travelling with your home, that makes things different.

A distant relative had the same thing happen to her when she married an American. The US declined her to travel back to see her husband as they were concerned she would over stay her welcome. It took a long time of legal hurdles before she was allowed to return to his side.

I'm glad they eventually let you in as I believe our country is a stronger one for it but it wouldn't have surprised me if they hadn't. Getting back across the US border maybe a whole different ballgame, as the US border guys want to know where you live. You may find yourself in limbo there for a while.

I hope you enjoy our country and have a safe trip.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, you can read in my blog about our two hour harassment, at the Canadian border, during our cross country trip last year. We made a "U" turn at the border.

"Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips"
Where's your blog?

@Isuzusweet...only 1/3 of Americans own guns.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
We had a similar experience, although not quite so extreme as yours, returning to the US from a Canadian Rockies caravan a few years ago. Husband and wife questioned separately, trailer searched, etc., etc. Our conclusion was that our days of traveling to Canada were done.

Fortunately I had many trips to Canada in the "good old days" when it was not uncommon for the border guards to just wave you through, so I have seen many of the famous sights in Canada.

Nowadays with both the US and Canada apparently becoming police states on account of fifty years or so of the War on Drugs, 9/11, Islamic terrorists, etc., etc. it's simpler just to stay in the US. There's plenty of places to travel here.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
It can sometimes seem for no reason at all that customs, US or Canadian do what they do and take it to whatever level they do; but there's always a reason......
Although the reason may be that they just randomly decide to give some visitors the full treatment, or they are training a new agent how to hassle people, or maybe they are just in a bad mood that day. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Levelland , Texas
We were in Montana and did a day trip to Waterton National Park. The day before we went I was visiting with another camper from Texas in the RV park. I told him we were going the next day.He said ,get ready when they see your Texas licence plates they will give you hell. The guy at the gate was the biggest horses butt I have evere seen.If we had not have driven 1500 miles I would have turned around. I will never go back to Canada.
Troy Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My wife and I have made several trips to Canada. The last trip was 4 weeks ago. We had a UHaul trailer and the truck full of our sons personal belongings. We had all of the proper paper work. Crossed into Canada at Aldergrove. The customs folks had us pull over, asked a few additional questions. Did NOT look at a thing or even open the UHaul.
I am an American, my wife is Canadian. Never had any issues crossing in either direction. We do have a permanent residence here in the states.
We did have to throw a dozen eggs away when crossing into Canada last year at Aldergrove. U.S. Customs did look in the Argosy TT back in 2013, but I think that was just out of curiosity.
Sorry about the bad experience.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
While at Glacier National Park in 2011 we took a day trip to Waterton and entered via Chief Mountain border crossing. Nothing unusual to report, just typical serious minded officials entering Canada and back to the US. We had Texas plates at the time.

Kelvin
Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Easy trip into Canada last year. On the way back US Customs wanted to go in the trailer, looked around at everything(the real reason he wanted in), opened the refrigerator, and confiscated the lemons that we told him were purchased in the USA.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We've never had a problem entering Canada, only with US customs on exit. We have been treated with respect by Canadian customs.

That said, if we were treated like the OP, like Robert Sunruss... we would do an immediate U turn.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Although I've learned that Canadians now appear to be friendly, from past experiences I would never go there.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Tyson View Post
We were in Montana and did a day trip to Waterton National Park. The day before we went I was visiting with another camper from Texas in the RV park. I told him we were going the next day.He said ,get ready when they see your Texas licence plates they will give you hell. The guy at the gate was the biggest horses butt I have evere seen.If we had not have driven 1500 miles I would have turned around. I will never go back to Canada.
We have traveled to Canada many times pulling the Airstream and have TX Plates. I have a CHL which shows up on a passport swipe and we have been questioned each time about guns and do I have one with me, and don't all Texans carry a gun, you regularly carry don't you and so forth. All part of normal questions that we have been exposed to each time we have crossed a border. In all of those instances the agents have been good. I personally think that a lot depends on how you respond to the questions they ask. If personable and answer when asked, I've found no issues. Just my experience though. Not saying that there aren't some jerks out there, but in our experience we have not had any issues.

Canada is a lovely place to visit and I wouldn't take one instance keep me away from future visits. I am sure we will have one of those experiences at some point that will frustrate us, but I am sure not to the point of refusing to ever go there again. We have seen some of the most beautiful places in NA up there and have built some fantastic friendships as well. Respect the laws they have in place and all generally will be good. For those wanting to carry handguns with them while traveling, plan ahead and arrange a safe deposit box in a boarder town that you can leave the gun and pick up on return. Hasn't worked for us though on some of our trips as go across in one area and back to US in another.

Safe travels.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Is this gonna be another guns into Canada debate? Been hashed and rehashed.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Is this gonna be another guns into Canada debate? Been hashed and rehashed.
Don't see any evidence of this in previous posts. Has anyone even remotely brought guns up outside of their relevance to the topic, which is border crossing?

Personally, I'm glad our customs officials are doing their job. It's an inconvenience, not a character assassination. Get over it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Most Americans have guns, it's a fact,
No, it's about a third, not most.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
A number of years ago, I had the same problem, but it was because I was coming to Canada to teach a 5 day class and I had not applied for a work permit. They turned me around at the border (Windsor, driving) and sent me back. Next time, same scenario, they simply sold me a work permit on the spot (Edmonton, flying). At the time it was believed to be retaliation for our new policy requiring a passport from Canadians to cross the border.
wcapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
No Problems Crossing

My wife and I have a summer home in Canada, and our permanent home is in Texas. We cross the border each year at Houlton, Maine with our AS in tow. We've never had a problem. I truthfully answer all their questions, and they only take a quick look in the back of our truck enclosure and trailer. I NEVER violate the customs law of either country, even if it means throwing away produce, etc. If you don't want to toss any excess booze, simply declare it and pay the duty. For whatever reason I always get nervous at the crossing, even though I'm 100% legal, as far as I know.
GLovedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Canadian customs

As a Canadian who enjoys our visits to the US, I apologize for what seems like extreme treatment at the border. Reasons could be varied, but I expect it is the full-timing that put them off. Crossing into US is similar-they want to know we have a home somewhere and are not full time. Once when we gave our address they wanted to know if we owned our home. For some reason that seemed important that day. Usually we have had no issues.

Guns would be the only other thing. Americans usually have them, but most know not to try to take them across the border.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote