Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #121
Full-time travel family

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Wichita Falls , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Looking at the Colonial link it shows the L couch in the options list. Looks nice.
AND! I just saw a new listing for a 30 with L-lounge and bunks. It makes me happy to know this is an option.

Hopefully I haven't been breaking any rules about mentioning specific dealer names. Or links. I bet I have Oops
wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Well, at Out of Doors Mart they have a new Serenity with the L Lounge

2015 Airstream 30 Intl Serenity | Out of Doors Mart

And, if one is serious about getting a good deal, my guess is they will make every effort to meet or beat one of the larger dealers….

However, I am posting this to point out the nice features in a 30 footer… the storage is greater on this than on the new Classic. Although, if Airstream is listening, they might offer the Classic with the full length storage on the sides of the bed like on the 30 RB Serenity. Having had a 27 FB International with the panoramic windows at the head of the bed, i can state my preference is for the smaller window, and the extra storage on the sides. Also, everything always fell off the night stands when I was in tow, while the nice little nooks on each side of the bed in the new 30RB will hold things in check when traveling.

Now, if I can convince them to raise the TV up to a height one can see while lying on one's back….yes!
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #123
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Wolfhound, (LOVE your dog, BTW) with regard to a work space... a few months back there was a trailer on airstreamclassifieds.com that had a bedroom arrangement I just loved. The rear queen bed was pushed all the way to the right side of the trailer (as you're looking at the bedroom), and there was a small lounge/sofa from the bed to the left side of the trailer. Then all the way on the left wall was open where you could put whatever kind of desk you prefer. I thought it was really a great way to get "office" space into the trailer. Not sure what all you'd sacrifice by putting the desk in there, I guess it would depend on what trailer model you modified. I"m sorry, I don't remember what size it was, maybe a 27'? I think it was from California. Maybe if that person sees this thread, he'll chime in and send pictures. Lots of luck!
AirstrmNewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #124
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
BTW, this was a VERY professional looking mod, too.
AirstrmNewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #125
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Maybe it's just me, but I like having the dinette at an end of the trailer rather than in the middle across from the sink. Just seems to leave more walking around room and makes the trailer look more spacious.

Compare the 30' against the 25' rear bed Internationals.

SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #126
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I like having the dinette at an end of the trailer rather than in the middle across from the sink. Just seems to leave more walking around room and makes the trailer look more spacious.

What's interesting to me is to compare the 28 and 27FB.

A lot of folks think the 28 offers more space, but you actually loose a lot more storage space with by throwing the dinette in there. No pantry, less counter space. And only one additional overhead bin, over the dinette. I suppose if you are a weekend camper, and are going to spend more time outside, it's fine.

We spent a lot of time looking between these two. So for us, if we went bigger we'd skip the 28 and go to the 30 over.

But 27 is the one for us.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #127
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
What's interesting to me is to compare the 28 and 27FB.

A lot of folks think the 28 offers more space, but you actually loose a lot more storage space with by throwing the dinette in there. No pantry, less counter space. And only one additional overhead bin, over the dinette. I suppose if you are a weekend camper, and are going to spend more time outside, it's fine.

We spent a lot of time looking between these two. So for us, if we went bigger we'd skip the 28 and go to the 30 over.

But 27 is the one for us.
I touched on this before but there are advantages/disadvantages to both. For us, we wanted some physical separation (greater than ~12" ) between the dinette and the sofa because our son sleeps there. We wanted a space to hang-out while he sleeps if the weather wasn't ideal. The 28 offers that when compared to the 25/27. We also felt (our opinion ) that having a separate dinette made the interior more "upscale"....again, just our feeling.

Regarding the FB/RB thing. I would rather be shielded (if only a little bit) from possible road sounds and passing lights. Also, if it's just a great view out the back, I'll be outside

As you pointed out, we are also only weekend campers. If I was full-timing the 30 is a great setup. It's similar to the 28 in many respects....just bigger in the areas that are required when you are spending many more consecutive nights on the road.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

The 25 does not have a dinette, either, and there is less counter/food prep space.
Love my 30.
Wish I had a 34.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Anything with bench seating will become very uncomfortable if doing extended time in the Airstream. All those in the last few posts have bench seats, even though it's labeled "lounge" or "sofa". Some FC/international models have real sofas, but the 30/31/34 Classics are the ones designed for full-time use.

We tried it, and converted the dinette to decent seating. Lots of others have been doing this for years.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #130
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The 25 does not have a dinette, either, and there is less counter/food prep space.
Love my 30.
Wish I had a 34.
The 25 does have a dinette. But I agree it has less counter space. You have to give up something in those five feet!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are many posts about how uncomfortable the "L" lounges are.
The couch in a Classic is very comfortable- for sitting or sleeping-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
The 25 does have a dinette. But I agree it has less counter space. You have to give up something in those five feet!

I see-
It is at the front of the trailer. What it doesn't have is a big comfy couch!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #133
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
I see-
I think what you guys mean is the 25 & 27 have the dinette with the long couch on one side.

The 28 and up has dinette plus L couch. The older 2006 25's with the bed shoved in the corner also had a dinette and L couch.

It gets confusing with all these models.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #134
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
I see-

I may get blasted for this, and it's not really related to size which is the topic of this thread, but I can not get over the look of those "big comfy" couches.

Maybe it's a generational thing (I am probably young for an Airstream owner)? I don't know. But this is the couch from a 2014 Classic.

If I didn't pull it from a 2014 model myself I could have been convinced that it was from a 1970's model! Looks like it came from my grandmother's house.

I MUCH prefer the clean modern lines of the Flying Cloud and International models, even if the couch (lounge as it's called) is not as comfortable.

And don't even get me started on the recliners...
Old 08-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #135
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
LOL. My wife and I can relate. I don't want to offend anyone, but those classic's. Yuck. Like using Windows 95. But everyone's tastes are different.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #136
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
LOL. My wife and I can relate. I don't want to offend anyone, but those classic's. Yuck. Like using Windows 95. But everyone's tastes are different.
Yea, I saw your post related to SOB's. Same thing here. No way no how.

And you have my ideal trailer. 27' Signature. My wife liked the lighter colors of the Flying Cloud and we came across a 25' we couldn't pass up. Otherwise we would have compromised with a 27' Flying Cloud.

Very happy with the 25' though. That twin has a lot of storage. Which does get back to this thread!

Size matters somewhat. I have 4 outside storage lockers in a 25' model. That's more than you get with the larger trailers. Plus there is storage under both twin beds that is easily accessible. Again you don't get that with larger trailers and a queen bed.

When looking at trailers and sizing it's important to really look at everything. There are such slight differences they are easy to overlook. But they can make a huge difference.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Does size REALLY matter when full-timing?

^ it's the twin, not the 25 that does that. Those are the reasons why we went with the twin as well.

We liked some of the aspects of the internationals as well, we just really disliked the sliding overhead storage compared to the FC. That was the major reason we went FC.

The '15 classic looks incredible! If I was full timing I would have went that direction in a heartbeat....and (I'm not sure if it matter but) I belong to a much younger generation
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
I think what you guys mean is the 25 & 27 have the dinette with the long couch on one side.

The 28 and up has dinette plus L couch. The older 2006 25's with the bed shoved in the corner also had a dinette and L couch.

It gets confusing with all these models.

What I'm saying is the couch in the Classic is way more comfortable than the L-shaped lounges in the other models.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
. Many of the new ones, too sterile looking, don't want to camp in a computer! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
I may get blasted for this, and it's not really related to size which is the topic of this thread, but I can not get over the look of those "big comfy" couches.

Maybe it's a generational thing (I am probably young for an Airstream owner)? I don't know. But this is the couch from a 2014 Classic.

If I didn't pull it from a 2014 model myself I could have been convinced that it was from a 1970's model! Looks like it came from my grandmother's house.

I MUCH prefer the clean modern lines of the Flying Cloud and International models, even if the couch (lounge as it's called) is not as comfortable.

And don't even get me started on the recliners...

That's my couch!
That's my trailer!
I love it!
I would like a brown one better!
Yes, the Classic is your grandparents trailer! That's what I like about it!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955