Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Does FOUR Years Make Me An "Old" Fulltimer?

Seems like yesterday - but it really has been four years since we started this adventure. We've been through sub-zero winters, blazing +100 degree summers - everything that the Missouri Ozarks has to offer - and here we are. Even more convinced that we should have made this move ten years ago......maybe fifteen.......maybe even twenty.

We moved into our 34' Halloween of 2010. Along the way I replaced all the flooring, added a couple small window A/Cs (we're in a semi-permanent location) - added a new toilet, and are getting ready to change mattresses (others were new, but full-timing has taken it's tole on them).

I love having a 30 minute 'spiff-up' routine instead of a 'cleaning day' - and I don't miss living in a 'stick and brick' house - ever. Laundry goes in a basket - gets delivered to the laundry - and comes back hung and folded. Do I miss my washing machine no one has ever asked me )) I have an outdoor 'kitchen' for use in great weather - and to my indoor galley I've added a small splatter shield, a convection/microwave, and a Whirlpool Fridge.

Do husband and I get on each other's nerves? No more than in the house )) There are 3 tvs in here - Front, Back, and in the kitchen - all hooked up to Apple TV and Roku. Earphones are a wonderful thing. He can be deep into a comedy, I'll be in the bedroom playing with my computer or iPad or watching something on Netflix, and even the dogs have Dog TV - everyone is happy (cat watches Dog TV too).

Weather has not proved to be an obstacle. Small window ACs took care of heat (cheap too) - Front fireplace and back fireplace supplements our gas heat (although we did get a BIG propane tank delivered and save our twin 40s as a back up).

Dogs are extremely happy - crates are a wonderful thing. We did add a Doberman to the mix - adopted him from a shelter. His place in the universe is on the foot of my bed and we've agreed that when I'm not in my recliner, he should be. It works.

Things hard to live without? An ice-maker - I guess I just use tons of ice. A really good cast iron skillet..........wifi.........iPad and Macbook..........Good coffeemaker.........

Husband just had knee replacement - total. It's much easier to recover in here than in a house. He's getting ready for the other knee - I will need a bed and breakfast for a couple days following that nursing period - but, things are sooooo convenient.

If you're thinking about full-timing, go for a long trip first - and if you feel good doing it, go for it - and don't look back. From a financial standpoint we're saving a LOT. When I get a new pair of boots or a new purse, I take the old ones to a drop off place.......I hold onto less 'things' - and that makes me feel good. The dogs are happy - husband is happy - I'm delirious )) Fun way to live ))

Jan Karnis
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Great to hear Jan,
My wife and I just "celebrated" our first full year in our 2001 '34 Limited and couldn't be happier.. Good to know we may have many more to look forward to.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Y'all ...wow... Glad you guys posted! We are SERIOUsly considering following your example. Seriously!

I have handicap visually but manage my daily stuff. Wife helps a lot!

We have family where we could park for "extended" visits... Not sure how long that is... But only pay utilities. The site had a mobile home on it years ago.... But getting down the road to the site is not easy. It is mushy gravel....and crowned with lots of ruts. The local government "grades" to fill in and flatten the road maybe monthly. If we hit there right after we could possibly get down the road without removing the under slung gear on the gravel.

Now, cars can traverse fairly easily..but sometimes they drag. With 3 axles and nearly 4.5 tons.... It will be interesting.

Sorry for the ramble... Still got me thinking..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote