Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Michelle. You tell Brad he needs to rechoose. LOL I know where your boondocking picture was taken. I have been following along. How's the Verizon service up in the sky? I am not getting an IPhone too rich for us for now and the services required.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #62
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
so tell me where was it?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #63
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm with Carol on the wait. The price ($599 or there abouts) can be off set with a 2 year contract to some degree, but will certainly come down...maybe as early as Christmas '07. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday in '08 or next Father's Day-just 3 weeks apart.

Anyway, I really wanted a Razr when they first came out and finally got one for Becki. I like the phone, but I like the one I currently have, too. However, I really am not interested in so many of the bells and whistles that come with the IPhone. I have only taken four photos with my current phone and didn't like having to pay to down load them via the internet, I don't care to surf the net with my phone-that's why I have a computer and I don't want to surf while I'm driving for sure. I have never wanted my e-mail to follow me that close either. I just want a phone to make phone calls on. The planner/calendar function of the treo would be nice, but not mandatory so I'm back to the basic phone.

So again, I'll wait for the bugs to get worked out and the improvements to be added (you know they will) and the price to come down. Then maybe when the hype and hysteria is over I will get an IPhone when the price comes down to a level that I can justify paying for "just a phone". BTW, I just got my first IPod a few months ago.

I'm way behind the curve! And I'm OK with that.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #64
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh, I guess I should have said. I have had Cingular since it was BellSouth
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Can your phone do this, or this, or this...

For those who think that the iPhone might be a bit too pricey, consider its capabilities and count up the devices and services you might have to acquire to have anything remotely close to this amazing device.

See three demo ads at http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/. There's another on the way that shows the internet web browsing feature, in particular.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #66
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
For me, it's not a matter of what it can do and what it cost to do them with other devices. It's a matter of what do I want it to do for me and what is it worth for it to do them for me. I have a PDA that I live by. I keep it in my Franklin binder where I keep hand written notes. I don't need a phone to do those things for me. Even though I admit I would be interested in merging the phone/PDA functions.

Surfing the net and receiving e-mail on my phone. Not interested. IPod features...I have them in my IPod and I have all of my favorite songs downloaded in my IPod and I keep it in my brief case so I have it when I need it...which isn't that often...I'm not a audiophile. I download podcast when I want to listen to them, but I don't even do that regularly.

If I wait 6 months I can get the phone cheaper, maybe with more features I won't use, so why bother now? I'm not saying it isn't a great phone with great features if you want them and are willing to pay for them now, but just like the Razr phone when it came out (IIRC it was $899 when it was introduced and now you can get them for free when you sign a 2 yr. contract) the prices will come down over the next six months and that is when I will probably get one.

Also, if I wait, I might be able to get one in a color other than white. I think white will show dirt too easily.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #67
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
T-mobile

Have only had two services...
Verizon and T-mobile
Both were OK...

Coming back from Vegas outside of Death Vally we had a good signal on the T-mobile...I was shocked.
Looked all around for some sign of a tower...nothing
I have had bars when others have lost everything.
1000 minutes, all of USA, but cannot remember $$

I'm satisfied, but my honeybees are pissed.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Gunnerguy, (sorry, old Navy Guy)

Had Verizon for seven years. Both my wife and I and that the only phone service we have. Been east to west and had coverage almost everywhere. That was a few years ago so it's probably better now. Most of our F/T buds have Verizon so we talk "Free" when ever. A nice feature.
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sprint/Nextel has some really detailed coverage maps on their website now. You can look at just Sprint coverage, just Nextel coverage, or combined coverage. (Some new phones have both systems in them) Sprint Broadband (Aircards) has a roaming agreement with Alltel, so their internet coverage is quite good now.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #70
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Lightbulb Affordability !!

For those who may not think they can afford the phone or service ...

Just buy Apple stock before the Christmas rush ... cash out after it goes up another 50 points ...

Once you own the IPhone ... you won't want to be without.
And the Company that makes it, will have paid for it - for you !!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
70 posts and only Paul NC mentioned Alltel. Alltel is far and away the best deal going, bar none. My plan was 350 minutes, two phones and no roaming charges for $66 a month including the taxes. Made a call from the deck of a cruise ship in Alaska and get full coverage on the Navajo/Hopi reservation.

My wife called me this AM from Italy and e-mails daily using an Alltel Blackberry. Price went up to $110 a month for 600 minutes, two numbers, no roaming charges and unlimited text and email.

Would of bought an Iphone, but ATT/Cingular does not have service in the Four Corners area. Verizon customer service here sucks!

BTW, I've had cell service in the four corners for 21 years.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #72
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Beware the international roaming charges!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Rented an Alltel SIM card that charges a flat per minute ($1.85 I think) and no roaming charges as the card is $99.00 per week and $15.00 per day after that. Not a cheap date, but it makes my wife happy. Unlimited text/email included.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Verizon is probably the best service overall. Not cheap but definitely worth the price when you really need it
DC
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
You know those ATT/Cingular commercials where the people are talking and one person says something outragous and the other person is talking back but the 1st person doesn't hear anything? ATT says, "No dropped calls... Ever." And it's true. You will rarely have a dropped call, but the commercials are in true form, you will have a lot of dead air and you'll have to hang up anyway. I live in a metropolitan city with over a million people and we still have this problem in the city... I can only imagine how bad it would be between cities. Plus, we've noticed their customer service is pretty bad. It's too bad we're locked into this terribly and painfully long contract.
Having had Sprint before ATT, I would say that's definitely a no go. And Alltel is Allful.
All my friends have Verizon and they all have wonderful things to say about both the coverage and the customer service. So my vote goes with Verizon, but I've not personally used them myself so my vote is hearsay.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #76
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think you are probably going to have different experiences with different carriers in different cities. Now that I have everyone confused.

In Atlanta I have had ATnT continuously since they were Bell South Mobility and going back to 1989. Friends have complained about all the other's coverage and my coverage has been a little spotty at times depending on the distance to the nearest tower. And there has always been, and continues to this day, a dead zone one I-85 at the Atlanta Airport. Unless you are on a call, you can't get out. You don't loose your call at this location, you just can't make a new call until you get outside the perimeter or north of Riverdale Road. But overall, in Atlanta, I have heard the fewest complaints with ATnT/Cingular/BellSouth/BellSouth Mobility. I have used Nextel at work and have friends that have used Verizon in Atlanta and both have serious issues. In other areas of Georgia, Nextel is excellent. In south Georgia, Verizon is good...until you get off the interstate. So it just depends on your proximity to the towers. And they don't share towers so you may be close to a tower, but it doesn't do you any good if it isn't your carrier's tower.

Also, a big factor is your cell phone brand. I can't remember my first mounted in-car phone, but the reception was very good but the phone itself had problems (wouldn't switch from hands-free to the receiver once the call was answered and I pulled off the road). All of my wireless/portables have been Motorolas and have performed well. My wife's first mounted phone was an Audiovaux and performed very well. Her first portable was a Nokia and was so bad she won't consider another Nokia no matter how much they are supposed to have improved.

A lot of factors will go into the reception you get. My personal opinion is that the two best carriers are ATnT and Verizon depending on locale. Your actual experience may vary.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Friend of mine and a fellow Airstream owner was a beta tester for the i-phone and he absolutely loves it. That is until he gets to Durango and AT&T service is unavailable.

I winter in San Diego and using an Alltel phone was a real chore on the weekends thanks to the "bazillion free week minutes" promotions. In the past three years, the service has improved and the only dropped calls are in the Rancho Santa Fe area. The On=Star phone also drops calls there.

Let's face it, customer service is not a strong point for cell phone companies. I'm more interested in performance and Alltel has provided that service all over the country, including Alaska
Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #78
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
One quick note here that I've been thinking about. Next phone I get, I'm going to try and make sure it's capable as a wireless gateway for my computer. That way, you don't have to pay for local WiFi or other services.

On another note, if you want to save some big dollars you might want to consider a "pay as you go" program. I know people who are paying less than $10 per month, with free long distance.
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #79
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
One quick note here that I've been thinking about. Next phone I get, I'm going to try and make sure it's capable as a wireless gateway for my computer. That way, you don't have to pay for local Wi Fi or other services.
Most providers don't include data transmissions in their voice service. If you hook your computer up to a cell phone, you may not get any faster service than a conventional modem or may run $$$ and charged by the kilobyte of transmission. For broad ban speed (Wi Fi speed) you will need Data service which is extra ($50-70/month) and requires an air card.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Eden , North Carolina
Cell Phone Service

We are on the road full-time and use Alltel. We have tried Cingular and Verizon also but Alltel seems to work the best most places.
We have traveled from TX to NY staying many places in between and have had good service overall.
Good Luck
ctalley316 is offline   Reply With Quote