Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
Buying an AS that has been used as full time residence

I'm looking at a small AS ....20'FC....that a Mom and her two little children lived in full time. I'm not sure how long.

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for when I go to inspect it?
What breaks first? And what are the costly things that wear out from full-timing?

Thanks for your help.
STGMNOBPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Refrigerator, furnace, water heater, water pump. Look for leaks. Also make sure the floor isn’t rotted. Most appliances in a house last 10 to 15 years…and these days more like 10.

Did the previous owners stay put in one place? Are you going to travel? If your are going to travel you will most likely need new tires, and I would inspect the brakes and suspension, the emergency break switch may need to be replaced.

CO and LP gas detectors may need replacing. Most LP detectors last about 5 years.

All kinds of things can go wrong. And others may have a longer list.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
Thanks, Daquenzer.
Yes, I plan to travel. I think they stayed in one place mostly.
I would not have thought to look at LP/CO detectors.
Nathan
Old 01-30-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by STGMNOBPF View Post
I'm looking at a small AS ....20'FC....that a Mom and her two little children lived in full time. I'm not sure how long.

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for when I go to inspect it?

What breaks first? And what are the costly things that wear out from full-timing?

Thanks for your help.

RV components are generally lightweight and probably won’t last long under heavy full time use. You might find the trailer rather tired-looking, especially on the inside, unless the owner really cared for it.

The biggest risk might be the effects of constant humidity.

Inspect carefully, open everything up, make sure everything works. And evaluate the overall condition against the price.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I forgot the AC unit.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Just wondering what year trailer? Any pictures to share so folks with more knowledge than me can help guide you?
My cynical mind has me wondering why a single mother with kids is "suddenly" selling their home?
Please offer up pictures and give more historical information on this trailer and you will get a plethora of guidance and insight as you move forward.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If a trailer sits long enough in one spot the rubber in the torsion axle(s) takes a set and does not respond fully to bumps. This results in a rough ride. You can test the axles by jacking the trailer and measuring the axle drop. The Dexter specification is a little over 2-1/4 inches from fully loaded to unloaded. I replaced mine at 1-1/2 to 1-3/4.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you can walk in the trailer…jump up and down…see if the axle flexes (trailer bounces)…. you’ll know if the torsion system works or not. Sitting in one-place worries …is an active imagination.
How long do you think 20 year old Airstreams with these axles have sat “in one place” compared to time spent running down a road? MOST of them spend almost ALL of their time “sitting in one place”.

The problem with full-time-living in any RV or travel-trailer is the amount of respiration, cooking, bathing, etc. Humidity which is created. This is even More a consideration in an RV as tightly-wrapped in non-porous aluminum sheeting.
Think of mold in walls, under mattresses (if you are seriously considering buying this thing GET RID of the bedding right-away…don’t even imagine using it ..not even for one night.)

Floors in bathrooms, beneath wardrobes, under cabinets/sinks will be subject to rot from old water leaks. Rubber hoses (LPG plumbing and brake-lines) may be needful of attention. Check 120-volt outlets and the power-converter and fuses for signs of over-current/heat damage. (full timers may have used high-wattage appliances such as heaters on circuits…so also check that fuses haven’t been replaced with over-sized fuses in an attempt to “up-grade” capacity improperly.)

The Owners Manual specifically warns against full-time living in these things for good reasons.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
.... what year trailer?
....why a single mother with kids is "suddenly" selling their home?
It's a 2014.
From her Youtube vids, she's not a single mother. They live in the trailer while her husband works off-shore, and it appears that it was a short term living arrangement.
There are a lot of potential reasons for a young family changing living arrangements, especially if they're in the gig economy....moving, medical, deployment, finally finding a stable job.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:05 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
Re: the torsion axle comments... Thank you! I'd read similar things previously.
Re: the humidity... Yeah! I dealt with that a lot tent camping in winter. With a tent, I could turn it inside out and hang it to dry when I got home. I guess that's not an option with a trailer!
Old 01-31-2023, 06:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
....and it appears that the trailer has gone from a private sale to a dealership.....with a higher price.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
If one is not comfortable doing their own inspection, I’d hire an inspector. We bought our current rig from a couple who had fulltimed for 3 years. I was comfortable enough (it’s our 3rd AS) doing my own inspection.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
....and it appears that the trailer has gone from a private sale to a dealership.....with a higher price.
Likely they need the money and put it on consignment with the dealer. I would be "suspect" with the information you have provided; 2014, full time living with 3 or more in that small AS. I would personally, look for an AS that has been used as an "recreational" TT. We have purchased 2 different model 25's early on that were a few years old. We lucked out with first one; it had sat in a field for 2 years and was only used part time prior by original owners. Second one, however, was a "converted twin" with several "DIY" solar/electric conversions...once we got on the road with it, we started finding things...range hood in kitchen...bad smell; black tank would not fully drain: bad smell inside when half full; mattress' had mold underneath; GFI kept popping. Turns out the owners took it to/from Alaska couple times and spent 3 months at a time living in it....we did not know. Sold that one and learned a lesson for sure! Next 25' we purchased new; our 28' we purchased new also...but, hey...you might get lucky! Many AS owners take great care of their rigs...just take your time and verify best you can, condition
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
If one is not comfortable doing their own inspection, I’d hire an inspector. We bought our current rig from a couple who had fulltimed for 3 years. I was comfortable enough (it’s our 3rd AS) doing my own inspection.
I'm not comfortable doing my own comprehensive inspection and will employ a certified inspector. $500 on a $50K investment seems like money well spent to me, especially if it keeps me from having to deal with a bunch of surprise issues when I want to be having fun.
I conversed with the salesperson today, confirmed that it's on consignment. I was told there are some appliance issues which will be fixed before it leaves the lot.
So, now I'll cogitate.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Roanoke , Virginia
Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated.
$500 for inspection?? Where do you live...may be worth a trip up there! Actually, depending on the year/condition, you can do all this yourself and save the $500, IMHO....plenty of advise here to help you.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Argosy 28
Southern Ohio , Ohio
Quote:
It's a 2014.

From her Youtube vids, she's not a single mother. They live in the trailer while her husband works off-shore, and it appears that it was a short term living arrangement.

There are a lot of potential reasons for a young family changing living arrangements, especially if they're in the gig economy....moving, medical, deployment, finally finding a stable job.

I need another YouTube channel to watch, if you want to share the channel :-)
StephSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
If they "lived in it full time" at an RV park or on someone's property as opposed to full time travel on the road, it is likely they hooked up the sewer, opened the valves, and just let it drain as they used it instead of proper tank management. This would mean the black water tank probably has a "poopalagtite" in it. I would visit the trailer with a flashlight, open the toilet, and with the water pump turned off and no city water hookup step on the flush pedal. If you're knocked back by an overwhelming odor when you lift the lid and open the valve then there is a huge accumulation in the tank. You can also shine the flashlight down there and see what you see. If there is a huge accumulation it is fairly easy to deal with, just time consuming and a bunch of filling and flushing and filling and flushing and filling and flushing to get the tank clean. I'd have them knock some bucks off the price for the trouble and having to deal with their mess.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Cincinnati , OH
We bought a 30' International that a couple had lived in full time for a year in Florida. They bought it new, and only took it on one road trip. After 2 years of driving it 500 miles each way to our land where we keep it for the summer, the only issue we have had is the black tank needed a deep cleaning the dealership did with the inspection. There is a little more wear and tear on the interior than one that has been used for recreation, but otherwise it was well-maintained and has served us well. The DVD player had been removed previously, because it had already broken. We didn't really need it anyway.
diabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:44 PM   #20

1964 19' Globetrotter
Florence , Mississippi
If you don't feel comfortable inspecting it fully yourself, you can always hire a RV inspector to do a complete and thorough inspection. You can find an inspector at nrvia.org/locate. Hope this is helpful!
MS_Mel is offline   Reply With Quote