Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
maumelle , Arkansas
Blackstone vs. electric griddle pan

We will be going full time in the next couple months and have seen many good reviews on the Blackstone gas grill Tonight the topic came up whether we could use an electric griddle on a table plugged into the Airstream. Does anyone have any experience with using either or both? We are trying to buy our gear now so we will be prepared when the time comes. Thank you!
Dreamnsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
I haven't tried an electric griddle but we love our blackstone! I would probably keep a propane based griddle personally bc we dry camp a lot and don't want to use battery! Ymmv!
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Depends on your type of camping. If you’re boondocking a lot, I would hate to carry something with you that you can’t ever use unless you are on generator. Just my opinion.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the Blackstone is mentioned in a variety of threads here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...=airforums.com

. . . some of which are in the "Stella's Kitchen" forum:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

This "Best Portable Grill" thread is long, but has good general feedback IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ill-20888.html

Personally . . . as suggested already . . . not sure if an electric device, of any kind, makes much sense, unless you have great solar panels and lithium batteries, since you are already carrying plenty of propane as an energy source IMO.

Happy trails.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Another vote for Blackstone. I have used both. The electric griddle does not compare as far as cooking quality. I don't think it gets hot enough personally. Even if you are on shore power, if you are 30AMP only, you would have to worry about tripping breakers with an electric griddle.
The 17" Blackstone packs nicely in a carrying case and is relatively easy to clean. I suppose you can convert it to use from the LP port on the Airstream but we just use the little green bottles. Makes it portable to use anywhere.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
'Ashling' Globetrotter 27

2019 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Oakville , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Brian Barry
Black stone BTU’s make it a joy to use. We have ours for more than a year and love it!
Brian Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #7

2007 20' Safari SE
Houston , Texas
Electric griddle tripping circuit

I am a fan of electric griddles when we have electricity. Just easy to use and clean. That said, I did experience tripping circuits during one stay and using a specific more power hungry griddle. So choose wisely.

Will most likely get a blackstone down the road.
skortright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #8
Heb
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Happy Valley , Oregon
We just bought a Blackstone this week! We are just weekenders, the versatility seemed better than a grill. And price was better. Got a 17 with hood and $10 for the adapter to plug into trailer.

Side question: Where does everyone stow their blackstone 17 during travel? Will it fit under the bed? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
I refill the little green bottles from a 20# tank that I keep in the TV bed using a refill kit and bottles from Flame King. Very easy.
We carry the 20# tank to run our portable fire ring and don't want the ring to be tethered to the Airstream's tap.
Taco Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
We carry a propane griddle and an electric single burner hot plate. On the rare occasions we have shore power I have used the hot plate outside plugged into the Airstream. I also use it inside sitting on the stovetop on the burner covers. It gives me more counter space and allows me to boil a kettle or cook on a single burner. Takes very little space when not in use and it is more versatile than the griddle.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Do they still make "hot plates"? Or are you using the term as sort of a generic version for an induction burner? Just joking... yesterday I took a ride thru Withlocoochee (sp.) State Park to see what camping amenities were like, and stopped briefly and talked to two teenagers who were camping in gramp's vintage Argosy and unable to figure out how his hand can opener worked. They were delightful but woof, so short on observing and learning... I got a good chuckle teaching them, plus demonstrating what gramp's Swiss Army knife could do. Hope they ask HIM how to use the corkscrew.

An induction burner has really wonderful temperature control and is surely more versatile than a series of specialty electrical appliances like coffee makers, crock pots, and so on, but some kind of outside propane grill is really good too, plus smells so good cooking beef.... drool.

Camping memories are the best, regardless of the culinary hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterlife View Post
We carry a propane griddle and an electric single burner hot plate. On the rare occasions we have shore power I have used the hot plate outside plugged into the Airstream. I also use it inside sitting on the stovetop on the burner covers. It gives me more counter space and allows me to boil a kettle or cook on a single burner. Takes very little space when not in use and it is more versatile than the griddle.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnsilver View Post
We will be going full time in the next couple months and have seen many good reviews on the Blackstone gas grill Tonight the topic came up whether we could use an electric griddle on a table plugged into the Airstream. Does anyone have any experience with using either or both? We are trying to buy our gear now so we will be prepared when the time comes. Thank you!
If we are on full hookups, my wife loves her electric skillet for indoor cooking on days when it's too windy for the Blackstone. I love my Blackstone griddle. The only drawback with the Blackstone is my wife expects me to cook.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have a propane grill that has a cast iron griddle plate -the best of everything. The grill for meat and BBQ, the grill for bacon and eggs and pancakes. Add refillable propane tanks and you are good to go with whatever you are doing.

We don't use electric cooking appliances at home very often, so we don't miss an electric skillet.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
Got a 17 with hood and $10 for the adapter to plug into trailer.
Can you send a link for the adapter?

Another vote for the Blackstone. It is a bit heavy. Steaks, bacon, veggies, etc. All great. A grandson’s favorite eggs are when we scramble them in the bacon fat. Well, of course!
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:59 AM   #15
Heb
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Happy Valley , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Can you send a link for the adapter?

Another vote for the Blackstone. It is a bit heavy. Steaks, bacon, veggies, etc. All great. A grandson’s favorite eggs are when we scramble them in the bacon fat. Well, of course!

QLOUNI Low Pressure 1/4inch RV Quick Connect Adapter Conversion Fitting with Elbow (90 Degree) for Blackstone Tabletop Grill, Compatible with Blackstone 17 Inch and 22 Inch Portable Gas Griddle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LCYHNNN...KJ3YWESM1B317J

It’s in the mail, will update when I get it. There are several on Amazon. Some built into hoses.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I went through the same decision-making process as you and ended up going with the Blackstone griddle. I really like its simplicity and the ease of clean-up. It's great for those evenings when it's too damn hot outside to cook inside.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I agree with the Blackstone. But as someone pointed out, it needs a wind block. Blackstone sells some that I thought were overpriced, so I made two using a blank black license plate and some magnets. Stick them where needed, store on the cooking surface.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
maumelle , Arkansas
Thank you all for your input!! I appreciate hearing from your experience. We will probably get a Blackstone and if it's too windy, eat in a restaurant.
Dreamnsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
We purchased the smokeless grill. With two griddles . Cost around $100. It is amazing with vegetables , steaks, burgers, chicken . Also doesn’t smell up the trailer- home if weather precludes from using it outside. We also use it at home to do vegetables while cooking on the Traeger or gas grill. A fellow camper showed us the smokeless grill and it is amazing. Easy to clean also. Easy clean up while traveling in the Airstream very important. My 2nd favorite cooking Equipment is my Instapot. Cooked the most fabulous cornbeef in 55 minutes, let it rest cooked cabbage, carrots, potatoes in three minutes best ever for this St. Patrick’s Day meal.
Love the name of your Airstream. how exciting full timing. Safe travels. See you down the road neighbor.
The Silver Buffalo # 22624
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Does anyone know how much the 17" Blackstone with telescoping legs weighs? Their web site does not say.
edit: checked Amazon and while they don't sell the assembled unit they do sell the griddle and stand separately, each unit approx 21 lbs. We are thinking of getting just the griddle and adding the stand later if we need it, and if we can afford the extra weight and space for storage.