Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
banking while full-timing

My husband and I are getting ready for a full-time lifestyle -- but we're curious about which banks people use while traveling across the country. We need a bank that gives us free (or inexpensive ATM usage) throughout a broad network so that we can make deposits and occasionally withdraw some cash (I found one bank that has no ATM fees on their end and re-imburse you for 2 of the other bank's transaction fees a month). I would prefer someplace that actually had walk-in branches around the country, but that might be hard to find. We need both business and personal accounts with online billpay -- and if we could get free banking, that would always be a bonus. Any suggestions from the full-timers out there? Thanks!
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
If you or your husband, father, or mother were ever in the military, try USAA. Free checking, excellent online billpay, and they reimburse up to $15 per month in ATM fees at any ATM. No business accounts, however. They'll also handle your trailer & tow vehicle insurance and more. One log-in for everything, and excellent service always.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
While I'm not a full-timer, I want to be able to have convenient bank access wherever I go. I've been using US Bank for many years. They have about 2500 locations all over the country. I love being able to make deposits, cash checks, etc. wherever I roam.

Gene
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Hi---I use Bank of America. They have a broad system thru many states. I travel mostly in the Western U.S. and it works great for me.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We have been Wells Fargo customers for over 20 years. If I'm not mistaken, Wells Fargo was the first national bank to offer internet banking over a decade ago. We've been very pleased with their service both on-line and in the branches/ATMs. We've never paid a fee for their services except a wire transfer or two.

I believe that Wells Fargo completely covers the West where we spend the majority of our time traveling. There are branches in 23 states, if that is what you need. But, as is generally true for any national bank's ATM, their cards work anywhere in the US or elsewhere in the civilized world.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking Electronic $$ bucks

I use a credit card for 90% of my purchases and pay it from my bank via the internet. Pay it by the month - free. And you have a record of expendentures
Deposits (rare) are by mail.
For cash, I use my bank card at grocery stores who let you get $50 - $100 over the purchase free.
Direct deposit for pension etc.
Utilities for home base are on auto pay

I really like on line banking. I grew up in Nebraska and have banked at the same locally owned bank most of my life. It's is a 55+ account with most things free and excellant internet service. Sure works for me. Just make sure your not leaving a trail out there in la la land.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions -- we actually have USAA for our insurance (father-in-law was Navy), so I'll check into that -- as well as the others. Most of what we do is electronic, but I do occasionally need to go into the bank -- especially for my business account -- I'm sure one of these will be a good fit. Thanks!
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
online banking. I use a local back to my home area. I mail in deposits and use the cash back at the grocery store or Wal-mart. Autopatic bill pay from the back. Requires a little supervision but pretty much takes care of itself.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
USAA is only available for individuals who are or where in the military. Or, have a very close relative who was in the service.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
USAA question...

Does USAA have actual banks to go to? Couldn't locate any info on that.
Thanks..
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Only USAA facility I know that might be considered a bank is in San Antonio. We use them; deposit checks via fax or prepaid mailing envelope. Regular deposits are made electronically. Most of our bills are automatically paid through our USAA banking account. If we need cash we use the ATM card at any ATM machine and the fees are reimbursed. Their online facilities are easy to use and I check activity regularly, downloading statements, etc. Membership requirements are much looser today than they were in the past.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I have been traveling outside the country for the last two years. 5 continents 30 cities. I do all my banking at Wells Fargo and have been pretty happy. They have an online Bill Pay that is great for making payments (both recurring and fulltime). For my regular bills I use a credit card connected to an Airline frequent flier program so I earn the miles, keep track of expenses and can pay that bill online.

You should checkout eTrade Bank. I have my savings account there which earns 5% interest and you can easily move money back to your checking acount at any bank when needed. eTrade also offers checking accounts with a hefty reimbursement fro ATM fees.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote