Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Baja Mexico!

I'm having trouble searching from the sticks, so I'll just ask... thinking of Baja Mexico for the winter. What about beach camping, water, safety, cell, texts, cheap ways to go, insurance, bringing a firearm..... and all the rest? How cheap are the resorts as a better way with waste and water?
Thanks
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There have been some gov't travel warnings recently for some regions of Baja. Check that out

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
So I see. Thanks. That settles it as I have enough problems without being dead
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Hmmm. Firearm? I'm thinking no.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Hmmm. Firearm? I'm thinking no.
Firearm in Mexico = vacation in Mexican prison
Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Trump's attitudes towards Mexicans and Mexico I'm sure does not help the typical pinche Gringo pendejo turistas.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Careful, you're becoming a mod magnet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Careful, you're becoming a mod magnet.
Disclaimer: Politics aside, Trump's perceived attitude to Mexico and Mexicans has caused a lot of resentments south of the border. Only makes sense this does not help the uptick in crimes against tourists reported by the state department.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad118 View Post
I'm having trouble searching from the sticks, so I'll just ask... thinking of Baja Mexico for the winter. What about beach camping, water, safety, cell, texts, cheap ways to go, insurance, bringing a firearm..... and all the rest? How cheap are the resorts as a better way with waste and water?
Thanks
Tourism is big business in Baja. They go to great lengths to make visitors feel safe. I traveled with a caravan last winter to Los Barriles and back and had a great time. We're going back again this winter. I was surprised at the number of Airstreams I encountered traveling the Baja. Canadian visitors greatly outnumbered Americans at most of the places we stayed. I'll give you the Cliff Notes version of answers to some of your questions, but I'd suggest you get in touch with several of the Mexico caravan travel clubs. They have a wealth of online information.
1. Beach Camping - Some great places on the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez side. Mostly, dry camping. Just find a spot on the beach, park, and someone will come by to collect around $2.00/night. On some beaches local vendors will come by with fresh seafood, local baked goods, potable water, trinkets, etc..
2. Water - I use a 3 stage filter that includes UV light to fill my fresh water tank. Bottled water is easily obtainable.
3. Safety - There are places you don't want to go. There is also safety in numbers. That's why I choose to travel with a caravan and a caravan leader that has spent the last 20 years guiding Baja bound travelers. Although, we encountered many traveling alone.
4. Cell - We have a Verizon plan that includes Mexico and Canada. Cell service was available in most places.
5. Insurance - We have Progressive on the Airstream and it covers Mexico. USAA on the truck does not. We purchased a 6 month policy from a Mexican Insurance company to cover truck liability/collision and trailer liability. You don't want to skimp on insurance traveling in Mexico. Any accident will be your fault no matter what.
6. Firearms - NO
7. The Highway - It's narrow with no shoulder in a number of places, but I saw at least two triple axle Airstreamers that travel the highway every winter. Also, there are axle buster potholes you have to watch out for.
8. Fuel - ULSF Diesel is available all the way to Jesus Maria. From there it's LSD. Last year Diesel was around $3.50/gal. If you have a pre-emissions diesel your in good shape. If you have a late model diesel it's best to carry extra ULSD for your travels south of Jesus Maria. Some trucks will tolerate a little LSD, but the GM Duramax will not.

The locals were very friendly everywhere we went. I had a flat tire on the Airstream and there were three families that stopped to ask if I needed help. Yes, they hate Trump, but they like American tourist dollars. The atmosphere is relaxed and the prices for pretty much everything are cheap.

Hope this helps.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Trump's attitudes towards Mexicans and Mexico I'm sure does not help the typical pinche Gringo pendejo turistas.
I'm sure profanity is against forum rules.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
San Francisco Bay Area , California
I go to Baja as a solo female American traveler, and have never had an issue. I haven't taken our Airstream yet, but plan to ASAP. I stick to typical safety measures like I would anywhere in the world, and do some research in advance (local sources are almost always better than sensationalized sources). Depending on where you plan to go, pay the approximately $2 fee/booth for the toll roads (I think it's $8ish to get to Ensenada, definitely affordable and worth the road quality and width). You might consider staying in a park or campground closer to Rosarito or Ensenada for a first trip to get comfortable before traveling further south. terryg has good advice, above. 😊
Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I'm sure profanity is against forum rules.
You are right. I opened my mouth without thinking and stuck my foot in it this time. Profanity was not intended. "Pendejo" used as an adjective means "stupid". but does have other meanings as a noun. The post was inappropriate, period. I apologize. My intent was to point out the danger of stereotypes, wherever they are used, but fell smack dab into one.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Not only should you not take a firearm but search your vehicles and Airstream for anything gun related. A single spent cartridge can get you in some trouble at check points. This has some decent detail.

https://www.mexperience.com/mexicos-strict-gun-laws/
Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Disclaimer: Politics aside, Trump's perceived attitude to Mexico and Mexicans has caused a lot of resentments south of the border. Only makes sense this does not help the uptick in crimes against tourists reported by the state department.
That's not an uptick.