Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Question Any common/known problems/deficiencies on a 2004 International 28'?

My wife and I are setting out to purchase our first Airstream from a private seller. Our first journey in this Silver Voyage will take us some 1200 miles away from our conventional home to pick up the trailer we believe to be the best option for us in our upcoming fulltiming adventure, a 2004 International 28!

I have been lurking here long enough to see that there are loads of super friendly helpful folks who are more than willing to help us not stumble thru our experience so I decided to step out of the shadows and ask for help!

Some 02's are prone to floor rot, some years and models have defect type roof leaks...

Now I know it's a thing/stuff and ALL things wear out, break, need maintenence etc. etc., but here's the Q:

What (known?) problems should I be on the look out for in our prospective TT? (if any, cause those beautiful silver Airstreams really are a cut above!)
FullTimin2HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Not a problem, but be aware that particular model didn't have separate black/grey tanks. It has a 70 gallon combination tank. And the fresh tank is 33 gallons. Could be an issue for some people. It never was for us when we owned that model.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Oh, and welcome to the forums!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks cosmotini! I came across this potential glitch and realized it was nothing to be concerned about... April and I talked thru it and promised never to overflow into the shower floor, YUCK! (read on here somwhere that somebody did that!) Thanks for the warm welcome! Happy to be here!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Going all that distance sounds like you've already made a commitment on the AS...

If final price will be subject to your inspection...all the regular visuals would apply...

*Are all the exterior alum panels in good shape - no dents...
*Do all the appliances work - hook up water and electricity to check em' out...
*Are batteries good, or more that 2/3 years old - in which case they'll probably need replacement...
*Has it been sitting in one place for a long period of time? - if so, the brakes, wheel seals and bearings will need to be check out and adjusted - probably a good thing, in any event before hitting the road on a log trip...
*How's the roof look, up on top - are there any large 'globs' of sealant up there that would indicate leaks at some time in the past...
*Hook up the 7-way electrical tow cable - do all the exterior lights work? You can also check electric brakes by holding a compass against a wheel to see if the needle moves when the TV's brake pedal is pressed to apply brakes (check the stop lights then also)...
*Is the propane take mounting is good shape and tight, up front...
*Is the tow coupler in good shape?
*Check behind cabinets and around toilet to see any signs of plumbing leaks that may have caused any floor damage over time ...
*Axle 'droop' shouldn't be an issue in a unit that new, but you can take a look at the axle levers to see if you still have a bit of 'downward' angle to them - a good thing!
*If you have a volt meter with you, you can check the battery voltage at the battery terminals before plugging into shore power - then after plugging in, check the voltage again to see it rise, indicating the converter/charger is operating - actual voltage will depend on state of charge in the batteries, but you should see a volt or two 'rise' after plugging in...

Just some things I'd check...

Have fun with your new 'baby'...

Ray in Northern Calif...
Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Ray! That checklist is the perfect start.

Seems to me a good thorough inspections should involve checking over everything, turning on switches and making sure all the little things work, but honestly I hadn't even thought to check out the appliances!

It is a good thing there are people looking out for me.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimin2HI View Post
Thanks Ray! That checklist is the perfect start.

Seems to me a good thorough inspections should involve checking over everything, turning on switches and making sure all the little things work, but honestly I hadn't even thought to check out the appliances!

It is a good thing there are people looking out for me.
You might check the inspectors list and see if there is someone close to inspect it before you drive 1200 miles. I went over 1200 miles one way to buy ours but I had the help of a very good inspector before I paid for it. It can give you peace of mind etc. Also if they have had an Airstream or Aistreams they know what to look for. I owe my inspector big time!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Awesome suggestions! Thank you so much, didn't know there was an inspector's list... Had to hunt around for a minute there but that is a really great resource.

I kinda feel like we have our hands tied on this decision. Our closing date on the house is 2-20-10 and we have to have things lined up by then. Really, we live in South Florida, going up north in January seems ludicrous by most standard thinking. I believe there really aren't too many of these units on the market right now. I'm sure AS makes less internationals than other finishes and once people have these silver palaces, it seems they keep them forever! I wish there was a unit closer to "home" that was the right price and finish. Can't say I'm in love with the "Hazard Orange" colored cushions as of yet, but a quick recovering could change the interior dramatically for just a few bucks.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Big appliance items to check. Does the AC work, heat pump if so equipped or heat strip?

Have them turn on the fridge the day before you see the trailer. Is it cold? Check that it works on electric, then switch it over to gas. Sniff for ammonia smells (could have a leak). Bring a thermometer and check both compartments (fridge and freezer).

Run the furnace.

Have them fire up the water heater on a cold tank of water. Is it a gas/electric unit or gas only? If it is gas/electric start it on electric only. The water will start to heat up. Once you verify that, fire up the gas side and watch the burner. It should have a nice blue strong flame.

Check out the stove. Run the oven and light the burners.

If possible see if you can hook up to city water. Check for leaks while the system is under pressure. Check the water outlets to make sure they work and that they shut off tightly. Don't forget to check outside if there is an outside outlet, check that the water heater drain plug doesn't leak and look underneath the trailer for any dripping water. Check inside the cabinets under the water fixtures.

If possible have them add some water to the fresh water holding tank, disconnect the city water and verify that the water pump works. Once the system gets to pressure, the pump will stay off. While inspecting the trailer verify that the pump stays off unless an outlet is opened. Note that if the pump does a quick burp or short run every so often, without you opening an outlet, you could have a problem with a water line leak.

Check out the toilet and make sure the bowl flushes. Watch to see if the bowl holds water. It should not slowly leak out.

Also when checking out the sinks and water outlets, check the drain pipes. Possibly close off the sink drains and put some water into the sinks. Then open up the drains to allow the accumulated water to drain. Check the drain pipe under the sinks for leaks.

All the items mentioned are easily missed and could cause you some expensive repairs if discovered after the purchase.

The biggest problem you have quite honestly is that you are buying in the dead of winter and going to a cold climate to check this trailer out. The owner has probably winterized any may not be willing to dewinterize to allow you to check the water systems. Same issue goes for checking the AC unit since again if it is cold enoungh, the unit may not operate. If this was my trailer and you and I had agreed upon a sale contingent upon this type of inspection, I wouldn't hesitate to allow these checks.

You might need to get the trailer to some type of RV dealership where some of these inspections could be done for you in a indoor service area. I would be very hesitant of buying privately without doing these inspections.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Great list Jack. I would add check oven thermostat. Dont ask me how I know. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
*What are you going to do about a hitch? Will you be able to tow the rig home?

*Since you'll be driving 1200 miles, you will need to camp on the way home. If you've never trailered before, it can be very confusing - especially when you're worn out after driving all day. Be sure to stop early enough so you are not already at the end of your rope. Better yet, see if your PO (previous owner to-be) will let you camp in his yard for a day or so. I extended that courtesy to the family that bought my Safari and I think it made a real comfort-level difference to them.

*Test everything; open all the doors - storage compartments and cabinets. Look inside and smell. rodents or dampness can be detected that way. Test the smoke alarm (nothing much can go wrong with the propane leak detector).

*See if the PO will let you keep his license plate for the trip back home. Not really much risk of being caught with an incorrect plate.

*Be sure the rig wheels are chocked whenever you are not hitched up. You'd be amazed how something that heavy can roll away on "flat" ground.

By the way - welcome to the forum and Happy Trails.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
The color is easy to change. Here is who I used.

http://www.tbrich.com/azbambi/decors.html

Here is the before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2616583267.png
Views:	164
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	118294   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3610328022.png
Views:	168
Size:	969.4 KB
ID:	118295  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the lists y'all! These are things I would not have remembered.

Good question Pat, we've got a 99 f-350 7.3L crew DRW as our TV, need to get my 7 pin outlet hooked up on the truck still... I just ordered a Maxbrake controller today so I can get that installed before the run up the coast. Stopping is important, especially for this thin blooded Florida boy who has never driven in snow! Thanks for the welcome. I'll make sure to pick up some chocks on the way up at a truck stop somewhere...

blmitch - that color change is sweet! April and I reeally liked the Victorinox edition in the new trailers at the local dealer! We've talked about kinda making ours similar!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Jack, I just noticed you are in Fenton. I was born in Cape. Glad to see another SeMissourian on here.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Our mighty tow vehicle next to my wilderness camping platform (pre-roof) in very rural Florida!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I'd get the tires, wheels and brakes checked before heading out. I picked up my trailer and made it home fine. When I checked the wheels and tires I found that one tire was damaged. I was just lucky it didn't blow on the way home.
The PO of my trailer wasn't much of a camper and he didn't know how to care for the trailer. (quess that's why he was selling) If your lucky the PO will check all this out before you pick up the trailer. Take the time to let him show you around.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We have purchased 2 RVs with a 5-12 hour drive and plans to camp on the way home. I packed the basics in nesting laundry baskets and big blue Ikea bags. Do not use suit cases, they do not easily stow and will get in the way.
I packed bedding, bath items, and enough kitchen stuff for coffee and to fix simple meals. It worked great both times.
I recommend a french press for coffee. You don't need electricity.

Our CCD was hazard orange too. Not a big deal for a girl who grew up in the 60's with orange mid-century furniture. I found it quite nostalgic.
It is easy to downplay the orange because the first thing you will want to do is store those odd pillows that are only designed to look good in a photo shoot. Then you can go to Ikea and get pillows that compliment the orange. Cheap fix.

Does the 2004 28' CCD have any known defects?
As the owner of three RV's I know there is a never ending list of little and occasional big things to fix. It's a fact of RV life.
The combo tank is not a big deal. Black tanks tend to be over-sized compared to the gray anyway.
If the previous owner has not already added an under-body tube for the slinky you will want to make that a priority mod.
If the tires are the originals you will want to replace them before you come home. I don't care if the tread looks new, replace the tires or risk a body damaging blowout.

Some products that I love in my RV:
Cushy Cupboards Home Page
Don't waste your time and money with that rubberized mesh. It migrates terribly during travel. You will need a blow dryer to relax the sheets and packing tape to connect the pieces for the long cupboards but this liner works like no other.
FoldTuk Kitchenware--Bakeware, Roaster, Space saving, Microwave safe, Foldable, Collapsible, Green
If you have a gas oven these do double duty as bake-ware and food storage. Great for left overs.
Trailer-Aid
Indispensable for tire maintenance.
Tervis Tumbler's Official Site | Insulated Plastic Cups & Mugs | Guaranteed for Life
You are from FL so you probably have these. They work for hot and cold, they do not sweat, you can personalized them, use them in the TV with lids and best of all they are plastic. I avoid breakables in my RV and pool house. Even my French press is all plastic.
Brita Classic Water Filter Pitcher | Brita
This Brita fits perfectly in the refrigerator shelf cutout.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
AND TAKE IT EASY ON YOUR FIRST DAY ON THE ROAD. Towing an AS isn't like jumping in the car (truck) and driving 500 miles a day. I've been a professional driver for years but when we started towing, three years ago, we cut down our miles per day pretty dramatically. If we go 300 miles, that's a full day. We have gone more than that but it's no fun to end the day that exhausted. Enjoy the trip - see what there is to see 'cause you may not get by that way in the near future. I am envious of those experiences you've got ahead of you. There's nothing like the first two years of 'streamin because practically everythin is new. Enjoy it, savor it and remember that when things go a little wrong, that creates memories. Good luck with your travels and welcome to the Forums. No better place to learn than right here.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote