Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
who wants to live in a trailer park??

That question has been asked, so you might search on it here. My short answer is that, having done it for weeks and months, it sure beats an apartment complex. My neighbors change, but there are no strangers . . folks are glad to be out & about (permanent, extended stay, overnight) and own rather than rent their "homes".

Granted that in mid-summer in Texas or February in Chicago there are better choices than an RV in nearly every respect. A New Englander is going to have a time of it in Austin: the pollution, the traffic and all sap even the natives from July 4 to well past Labor Day (actually, May through October one NEEDS constant A/C).

But you might be surprised. There are as many kinds of RV park as there are RV's out there . . ever checked out the ones that cater to million-dollar coaches? Does "living in a trailer park" include such as these for the six months the owners might stay in the Valley of Texas?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #22
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Kiwi, welcome to the forum, I lived in a trailer for 3 years down here in Texas, it was a 25 footer, I wouldnt go smaller than that. It was myself my girlfriend and my German Shepherd the last year I was staying there, and it got really small in a hurry. Granted the floor plan wasnt very good on the trailer I had, it was not an AS but still it is a mighty small space.

What you are talking about doing though is perfectly viable and a good choice. As well the Austin area is really nice, and if you have your trailer setup so as that it is road worthy and you can leave at a moments notice, you will find that there is a lot to do that you can take your trailer with you for.

For instance down in my neck of the woods over towards Corpus up in Rockport there are many RV parks there that are right on the gulf, you can literally get up in the morning, walk a couple hundred feet and go watch dolphins playing around in the water.

There are also many oportunites out on padre island, and there are many lakes around the area as well where you can stay for the weekend and have a blast.

Also I know that some of the water parks in the area have RV sites as well.

You can easily do 4 seasons here in a trailer, there are thousands doing it, just make sure you have a good AC other wise you will fry. It is well worth the cost for a brand new unit if you move down here just for the piece of mind and the things you wont have to mess with.

When it comes to buying your trailer, I would strongly recomend that you get togeather the 10 grand, and buy as much and as new of a trailer as you can get for the money in as good of condition as possible. Reason being you dont want to be living in an air stream while you are restoring it.

Also I would strongly recomend upgrading to a tankless water heater, there is nothing like running out of hot water in the middle of a shower to make you feel all warm and fuzzy!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
So Cal , California
Atomic Kiwi, I like the way you think! The hub and I are a young couple in our twenties and we lived in a 19ft. travel trailer for about 8 months. It was the happiest time in our marriage so we purched our AS with the intent on simplifying our lives and living in it. We plan on living most of the year in a park here in So Cal a few miles from the beach.

Go as big as you can! Counter space and closet space really make a difference when you are living in it. We bought a brand new 27ft. Safari Classic front sleeper and so far it has been perfect. It's just big enough to fit what we need but still small enoungh (under 30ft) that it's easy to tow and we don't get charged extra at parks we vacation at.

Best of luck finding your perfect AS!
~Mrs. B
Mr&MrsB is offline   Reply With Quote