Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
We have the Nature's Head composting toilet in our Airstream and LOVE it. Doug calls it the "ace in the hole" and then we make other jokes off that. Haha.

Is it gross to empty urine from a jug or solids from the compartment? Sure, but having a tank full of sewage sloshing under you is gross too. The toilet has no odor. Its awesome. It was easy to install for the most part. We have a little info about it on our blog,
http://www.epicdetour/com/the-airstream-conversion/

We also considered replacing the black tank with a fresh water tank and still may do that someday. For now we have been overwhelmed with being new full-timers and all the mods to our tow vehicle and airstream.

I say go for it!!
__________________

epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 116
More Love for the Nature's Head

We've been on the road for almost 4 months with our Nature's Head and can say that we'd never go back to a traditional RV toilet/black tank. It's easy to use, there's no smell, and no sewage. Another big bonus for those of us who mostly dry camp/boondock is conservation of fresh water, as there is no flushing with a composting toilet.

Like Kilroy, we installed ours on top of the black tank, where the old toilet was, so that we could easily revert if we didn't like it. Now that we're sold, we plan to configure the black tank for extra gray water storage, as gray water is our limiting factor when dry camping.

The pee jug does need to be emptied every few days. We recommend ordering a second jug for those times when you don't have easy access to a dump station or toilet and want to limit your dumping trips. (The jugs come with screw-on caps. )
__________________

VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,748
I bought these bowls from Ikea that fit our sinks, and we use gray water for flushing.

I've been thinking about the composting toilet, but I'm not hip on the plastic, and at $960.00 that's a heck of cost for the advantage of not dumping. Also, there is work involved with the toilet. You have to prep the coconut core/pet. Change it out, dumping the pee routinely. Just seems like more work for the only advantage of not dumping.

As I said, we go into conserve mode and use gray for flushing solids, and nothing for liquids.

And the question I've never seen answered is, what about when you have the liquid poo? Sometimes stuff just explodes and it's on the sides and then what? Since there is no liquid. Spray bottle?

What about TP? That go in there too?
__________________
Family of 5 exploring the USA with a Ram Power Wagon & Airstream in tow.
OUR BLOG | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
 
calais66's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 263
Additional freshwater tank/composting toilet

We went with the Airhead (www.airheadtoilet.com) because:

1. No black tank (so never cleaning clogs or detailing with plumbing issues or winterizing)
2. Less weight (you're dehydrating your waste as opposed to towing around your sloshing wet waste)
3. Less smell than an black tank
4. Never having to deal with liquid human waste (outside of pee) or the potential of spatter when dumping
5. It has the capacity to be used up to 60 times before needing to be dumped, or a MONTH for two people full timing (again, it dehydrates the waste). If you're just using it on weekends, that goes up to 80 uses.
6. Full size seat available.
7. Airhead is the ORIGINAL and is made of stronger plastic than a Nature's Head.

Also, even if you don't use the black tank space for a freshwater tank, you'll be saving water by not having a flushing toilet, adding to your current fresh tank's capacity.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Gearheart's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 922
Images: 1
Another water saving idea is to eat off of fire starters instead of the fine china. Paper plates bowls and cups go a long way towards reducing dish water needs when boondocking.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 AM   #26
LABTOPIA
 
labtopia's Avatar
 
1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm not hip on the plastic, and at

there is work involved with the toilet. You have to prep the coconut core/pet. Change it out, dumping the pee routinely.

what about when you have the liquid poo? Sometimes stuff just explodes and it's on the sides and then what? Since there is no liquid. Spray bottle?

What about TP? That go in there too?
the plastic is easy to clean and sturdy.

there isn't really work to do with the toilet much more than your 'business'. the Cococoir is only put some in a plastic bag with water overnight to get it loosened up. There isnt changing out really, everytime you empty the #2 base, you just add that to the base and keep going, you dont rinse out the base between changes because the 'left over' on the surface has the bacteria starter to keep on going. I'm not sure how often you have to empty your sewage tank but i didnt have to empty my first time until after 3.5 mos (when composting things reduce and reduce).

for the TP, it goes in the toilet and adds to the compost mix and breaks down with everything else.

as for the ol diarreah cha-cha-cha or vomit, it's fine as long as that's not a daily thing. I havent had issues and i'm known to eat a lot of weird stuff with the same expected weird results. the toilet is designed well and everything gets into the base, any little bits that dont make it in, i use a squirtbottle with vinegar/water mix and wipe it with tp into the base along with the tp.

the urine jug isnt really a big deal, i find that i empty mine every 3-4 days and dont find it a chore.

all in all, it's convenient, environmentally responsible, and i dont have to go find a dump station (i urban boondock fulltime so there are no places for this anyway) and my friends get fresh compost for their rose gardens...

cheers!
dave
__________________
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,189
Images: 4
maybe not a deal breaker

Labtopia said plastic is easy to clean.

I would agree……for a while

Plastic scratches when you clean it. The scratches are a perfect spot for stuff to grow, and resist cleaning
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
We went with the Airhead (Air Head Dry Composting Toilet | For Boats, RVs & Cabins | Environmental Toilets with Compact Convenience:) because:

1. No black tank (so never cleaning clogs or detailing with plumbing issues or winterizing)
2. Less weight (you're dehydrating your waste as opposed to towing around your sloshing wet waste)
3. Less smell than an black tank
4. Never having to deal with liquid human waste (outside of pee) or the potential of spatter when dumping
5. It has the capacity to be used up to 60 times before needing to be dumped, or a MONTH for two people full timing (again, it dehydrates the waste). If you're just using it on weekends, that goes up to 80 uses.
6. Full size seat available.
7. Airhead is the ORIGINAL and is made of stronger plastic than a Nature's Head.

Also, even if you don't use the black tank space for a freshwater tank, you'll be saving water by not having a flushing toilet, adding to your current fresh tank's capacity.
None of these points justifies a in the trailer pit toilet to the vast majority of Airstreamers. Another hipster idea.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I bought these bowls from Ikea that fit our sinks, and we use gray water for flushing.

I've been thinking about the composting toilet, but I'm not hip on the plastic, and at $960.00 that's a heck of cost for the advantage of not dumping. Also, there is work involved with the toilet. You have to prep the coconut core/pet. Change it out, dumping the pee routinely. Just seems like more work for the only advantage of not dumping.



And the question I've never seen answered is, what about when you have the liquid poo? Sometimes stuff just explodes and it's on the sides and then what? Since there is no liquid. Spray bottle?

What about TP? That go in there too?
I see this discussion is getting into the nitty gritty of the human waste disposal system. Coming to grips with what happens instead of hardly acknowledging when it is flushed with a gallon and half of water. Actually, all of us in RV's have a better understanding of waste!

As for when your not feeling well! I had that concern also. But when I contracted the worst food poisoning of my life (After 4 days had to go to doctor.) at the Golden Corral in Yuma, the Natures Head Handled it. Did need to change it out a little sooner but again, it didn't stink. Some clean up with a paper towel wet with a cleaner was necessary for parts of the toilet that are not part of the composting process, to get very specific. (Ever notice how in movies and TV no one ever has to dedicate?)

We've put toilet paper in the toilet, which is ok according to Natures Head, and we've also kept a bag for the used TP.

We us peet moss for "seeding" our composting toilet.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #30
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
None of these points justifies a in the trailer pit toilet to the vast majority of Airstreamers. Another hipster idea.
Thanks for adding nothing to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
the plastic is easy to clean and sturdy.

there isn't really work to do with the toilet much more than your 'business'. the Cococoir is only put some in a plastic bag with water overnight to get it loosened up. There isnt changing out really, everytime you empty the #2 base, you just add that to the base and keep going, you dont rinse out the base between changes because the 'left over' on the surface has the bacteria starter to keep on going. I'm not sure how often you have to empty your sewage tank but i didnt have to empty my first time until after 3.5 mos (when composting things reduce and reduce).

for the TP, it goes in the toilet and adds to the compost mix and breaks down with everything else.

as for the ol diarreah cha-cha-cha or vomit, it's fine as long as that's not a daily thing. I havent had issues and i'm known to eat a lot of weird stuff with the same expected weird results. the toilet is designed well and everything gets into the base, any little bits that dont make it in, i use a squirtbottle with vinegar/water mix and wipe it with tp into the base along with the tp.

the urine jug isnt really a big deal, i find that i empty mine every 3-4 days and dont find it a chore.

all in all, it's convenient, environmentally responsible, and i dont have to go find a dump station (i urban boondock fulltime so there are no places for this anyway) and my friends get fresh compost for their rose gardens...

cheers!
dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
I see this discussion is getting into the nitty gritty of the human waste disposal system. Coming to grips with what happens instead of hardly acknowledging when it is flushed with a gallon and half of water. Actually, all of us in RV's have a better understanding of waste!

As for when your not feeling well! I had that concern also. But when I contracted the worst food poisoning of my life (After 4 days had to go to doctor.) at the Golden Corral in Yuma, the Natures Head Handled it. Did need to change it out a little sooner but again, it didn't stink. Some clean up with a paper towel wet with a cleaner was necessary for parts of the toilet that are not part of the composting process, to get very specific. (Ever notice how in movies and TV no one ever has to dedicate?)

We've put toilet paper in the toilet, which is ok according to Natures Head, and we've also kept a bag for the used TP.

We us peet moss for "seeding" our composting toilet.
Interesting information, thanks. All of our camping has been dry/boondocking since we went full-time in April. We've had full hook-ups only 3 times. So we feel pretty accomplished in the water conservation dept. We certainly don't flush with a lot since we use gray water to flush.

But it's probably better to dump gray water onto the ground than to turn it into sewage.

We have been curious about the toilet. Just trying to figure out if it would work or not.

I guess my only other thoughts are the #2 bin, we have a 27ft FB and the bathroom is pretty tight. Anyone with one of these in a similar setup? Maybe post a photo?

This will aid in our discussion. I'm fine with dumping, and I'm pretty fair from what anyone would call a hipster, but I'm down with the environmental benefit here. I like being self sustainable. And there has been more than once where we traveled a long way with a full black tank.
__________________
Family of 5 exploring the USA with a Ram Power Wagon & Airstream in tow.
OUR BLOG | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 294
Images: 3
All I can say is having a composting toilet is another incremental way of becoming more independent.
Solar is the next phase for me.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:43 AM   #32
LABTOPIA
 
labtopia's Avatar
 
1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Labtopia said plastic is easy to clean.

I would agree……for a while

Plastic scratches when you clean it. The scratches are a perfect spot for stuff to grow, and resist cleaning
Not sure how you use them, but how would a paper towel and vinegar scratch anything. this has not been my experience with this toilet. This is a non issue...

dave
__________________
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:13 AM   #33
LABTOPIA
 
labtopia's Avatar
 
1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I guess my only other thoughts are the #2 bin, we have a 27ft FB and the bathroom is pretty tight. Anyone with one of these in a similar setup? Maybe post a photo?
im not sure you can get much tighter than my install, ive got a 22 and it fits with the clearance needed and maybe an inch to spare. They have dimensions on their site to go by. You just slide the bowl top off and take out the bottom base-put a kitchen trash bag over it and flip. Takes all of about 10min in & out- for me every 2-3mos.

MY NATURES HEAD INSTALLATION PHOTOS LINK


dave
__________________
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
BoldAdventure- We've got the Nature's Head in our 27fb international. Plenty of room for the toilet and the ventilation piping. I think we have a few pics at The Airstream Conversion | EPIC DETOUR
I will say the plastic rim doesn't feel as "nice" to sit on as a regular toilet seat, and I'm not sure how it would work with the two little bottoms in your AS once they are out of diapers. Easy enough to use a separate potty for them I guess!
We use sphagnum peat moss, no fuss and you don't have to prep it or mix it with water. It's super easy to clean. We've been on the road since 9/12 and have only emptied the solids twice!!
Either way it's all good. Not sure why some people are getting fussy on this topic. ��
epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,189
Images: 4
Dave you made a good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
Not sure how you use them, but how would a paper towel and vinegar scratch anything. this has not been my experience with this toilet. This is a non issue...

dave
I tried to make a good point but really failed. I actually should have just warned folks not to use a stiff scrub brush on the plastic thrones, because of the scratching issue. I have only ever used a porcelain toilet in my trailer, because it came with a broken plastic toilet. I was advised to get porcelain because of the scratching issue.

I use vinegar and toilet paper, or a dedicated soft sponge to clean. But you have to be careful with vinegar as well.

I had brought a badly stained regular house toilet back to life by giving it a vinegar soak. For the sides, I wet paper towels with vinegar, and they stuck to the sides during the soak WORKED LIKE A CHARM. It worked so well that I used the method on my other toilets. I left them soak all day and basically ruined them. If you leave vinegar on for too long it can etch the toilet.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Thanks for adding nothing to this thread.





Interesting information, thanks. All of our camping has been dry/boondocking since we went full-time in April. We've had full hook-ups only 3 times. So we feel pretty accomplished in the water conservation dept. We certainly don't flush with a lot since we use gray water to flush.

But it's probably better to dump gray water onto the ground than to turn it into sewage.

We have been curious about the toilet. Just trying to figure out if it would work or not.

I guess my only other thoughts are the #2 bin, we have a 27ft FB and the bathroom is pretty tight. Anyone with one of these in a similar setup? Maybe post a photo?

This will aid in our discussion. I'm fine with dumping, and I'm pretty fair from what anyone would call a hipster, but I'm down with the environmental benefit here. I like being self sustainable. And there has been more than once where we traveled a long way with a full black tank.
Thanks, I try my best to bring these rediculous ideas down to earth, I'm welcome to my opinion, as you are. Don't get pissed, use your pee bottle.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,753
I like hearing both sides of the topic at hand. Sometimes there is so many monkeys banding their cymbals up in the cranial area that it makes it hard to think.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,189
Images: 4
I think Calais posted valid advantages. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
None of these points justifies a in the trailer pit toilet to the vast majority of Airstreamers. Another hipster idea.
I think Avion was right about the vast majority of Airstreamers. They either don't want to spend the big bucks for a composting toilet, or they don't need one because they only ever go to campgrounds.

As someone who NEVER goes to campgrounds, I am tempted by the composting toilet. I know the frustration of trying to find a place to dump, and driving way out of my way to get to a dump station only to find it closed. Which is why I have been using porta pottys ( no chemicals, just enzymes )from time to time

My problem would be height. I have an above floor black tank. I would have to remove the tank, and refinish the toilet area. Else wise the composting toilet would sit to high.

The hipster comment was less than polite. Sometimes technology and new ideas trump "old school". Sometimes not
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,189
Images: 4
And again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Thanks, I try my best to bring these rediculous ideas down to earth, I'm welcome to my opinion, as you are. Don't get pissed, use your pee bottle.
Of course you are welcome to your opinion. But I think there are better ways to state your point without ridiculing someone else's opinion.

Obviously, some of us are interested in this topic. I guess you are not.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #40
LABTOPIA
 
labtopia's Avatar
 
1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
My problem would be height. I have an above floor black tank. I would have to remove the tank, and refinish the toilet area. Else wise the composting toilet would sit to high.
Not sure how much higher from the floor it is, might be something to consider for the future if you ever want to reclaim some space (and do some remodeling). I had to use 4x4 & plywood base to get it to a comfortable 'adult' height, also to let the crank clear the wheelwell. pics on the link:
MY NATURES HEAD INSTALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
The hipster comment was less than polite. Sometimes technology and new ideas trump "old school".
+1 & +1 for simplicity & sustainability.
__________________

__________________
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing a composting toilet gamana Sinks, Showers & Toilets 18 04-03-2017 08:48 PM
Composting toilet: winter use? Joyfulgirl Sinks, Showers & Toilets 5 08-27-2011 08:45 PM
Your questions about our Composting Toilet FLYNCLD Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 55 03-28-2011 05:04 PM
Anyone installed a composting toilet? casaalumina Sinks, Showers & Toilets 15 10-08-2008 12:53 PM
Composting toilet replacement Phaedrus Sinks, Showers & Toilets 4 10-17-2003 06:19 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.