Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Question Tank monitors, level sensors and/or gauges.

Does anybody know where the access is to the connections for the tank monitors on the tanks? We have a 1995 30’ Le Cutter.

I can see the connections on the fresh water tank behind the access door in the back basement locker. I have no idea where the black and gray water tank monitor connections are located.

I am tired of seeing the black and gray water monitors reading full even when they are empty. I have tried the Calgon-Detergent thing and the ice cubes and bumpy road stuff with no success.

I want to install external sensors like we had on our boat, but I need to find the wires at the tanks.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Bill,
On mine, under the coach you can see the wires attached to the probes, at different heights on the tank. Gray water were easy to get to, black water , only the bottom couple. I replaced mine with the Horst miracle probes, they have a web site, seems to be working better than old ones.
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
I cant see any of the tanks from under my coach. I'll have another look...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Bill,
Our tank gauges never read correctly either but a couple weeks ago, the gate valve for the black tank wouldn't close all the way so I went about trying to clear the trash that had apparently lodged itself in the valve. After many fills and soaks and drainings with no success, I decided to pour a full bottle of Draino in the tank, filled it with water, and let it soak for about 15 minutes (with the drain cap on and the valve open). The Draino did the trick and as a result, the valve works again as it should. An added bonus is that now our gauges read accurately. Guess they got a GOOD cleaning.
I know people will say to not put Draino in your tank but I can't see how it could damage anything if only used every 20 years or so!!
Might be worth a try before you dig into the guts of the trailer.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Bill,

Did the Drano really work that well? I have filled and soaked my black water tank with Bio-Pak and let it set (hopefully dissolve) for 8 hours. Several times. Darn.....it still reads 1/3 tank on the dispaly. Grey water shows empty. I can see the floor of the black water tank with a flashlight. I read Barnacle's post on the Calgon. Never heard of that before. Other than Drano....which I now may try....is there some other RV chemical that will REALLY dissolve anything on the probes?

And to others....Mr. Cantrell's appilcation of Drano.....will he, and I (if done) risk any damage to the components?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS....Barnacle Bill....how is your SMI Stay-In-Play braking system working? I've driven 11,000 miles so far. No problems yet....knock on wood.
SMI Duo braking
jwisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Jeff,
I can't be certain that the Draino is what cleaned the sensors but I can be sure it is what dissolved the trash in the gate. I really can't see where Draino could hurt anything--it is just a strong base but you are on your own, of course. I am just relating what worked in my case. If you have any hesitation that it may damage your system, don't use it.
Caution also should be used--no other chemicals in the tank with it at the same time or you might get a nasty reaction.
My main objective was to clean the gate valve so I poured the Draino in first and then filled the tank so there might have be a super concentrated amount of it around the gate area which is why it worked.
Good luck,
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
The “Calgon thing” came from an article I read called “How to Make a Chemical for the RV Holding Tank” By Rene M. Agredano. If you search for “The Geo Method” or “Rene M. Agredano” you should be able to find the article. I you can’t find it, get back to me and I will check to see if I saved a copy.

PS… Jeff…My SMI system may need some adjustment. We drove from FL to MD last spring and I think the system did not activate at all, even in some fast stops and steep descents.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Bill C. & Bill S.,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I've been in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan w/o Internet for the last week. Kind of nice, actually.

Bill C.,

I don't think I'll try the Drano thing.....yes, I'm worried about possible damage. Hard to believe that some RV supply business doesn't have a chemical specifically for cleaning the sensors. I'll keep using my flashlight until I can resolve this.

Bill S.,

My SMI has not been kicking in as well. Although....I did pull the breakway plug to test it and, sure enough, the toad brakes locked up. It doesn't come on during a hard braking (agreed....an adjustment is needed), but at least I know that if the toad does (God forbid) come loose....it will brake.

Lot of discussion earlier about the Sammy transmission setting. I've kept it in neutral (gear box)....and 2nd gear (transmission). Absolutely no problem in what has been....now....12,200 miles. Love that Samurai! Only 6,000 miles to go on this trip, "if" I can find a caravan headed up to Alaska.

All in all, my LY 30 has purred like a kitten the entire time. Could not be happier.

Many thanks to both of you for your responses.

Jeff
SMI Duo braking
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
I would like to see my tanks read empty when they are empty but I am afraid of the Drano as well. Maybe Bill C can let us know how his system holds up. I am going to find a thread for the SMI brake issue and I'll look for you there Jeff. Hope the trip continues to go well.

Bill T
Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
The name of one product made to clean sensors is "Thetford Level Gauge Cleaner"

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Any experience with the "Thetford Level Gauge Cleaner" gloran?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I have used Thetford Level Gauge Cleaner in my black water tank. My gauge was always reading 1/4 -1/2 full but the tank was empty. I used this in the tank for a few days and it fixed the issue.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
OK, I have seen the product around but haven't tryed it. I will get some and let you know if it works.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Ok. Tried the Thetford Level Gauge Cleaner. One app in the black tank, about 1/2 full, drove for 75 miles, then dumped. No change. Next day, I did another app, with 3/4 tank full, drove 300 miles on a very hilly, twisted road with many small towns requiring many stops and starts, sometimes hard braking, so I know it was slushing all over the tank. I then let it sit overnight, then dumped. And...per another recommendation on another forum....I filled the black tank from the outside hose connection spraying directly into the tank until it was FULL.....dumped, and repeated 3 times. I found a slight" improvement. It now is completely empty and shows 1/3 full. My gray water tank indicates "Empty" as soon as I hit the Test switch. The black water tank indicates 2/3, until I hold the switch down for 10 seconds. Then it "slowly" blinks out and shows the 1/3.

Very frustrating. On a "maybe" relevant note......The first time I put in the powder, it's not liquid, in the toilet bowl (half filled with water), it foamed like crazy. (The tank was flashlight visually empty.) When I flushed that mix, the lights went immediately from full to 2/3. That was strange. The probes seemed to, at the time, to cancel out a full reading to 2/3 with only a splash of a gallon of mix. How is that possible? I wish I had a schematic of the probes. A cleaning mixture shouldn't have affected the higher reading with a gallon of water. I'm obviously missing something here.

I'm "almost" giving up. That Drano is looking a lot more tempting.

Jeff
SMI Duo braking
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Is there any way that you could have a water leak or moisture on the side of the tank? On mine I had the winter drain valve (plastic) split and dump tons of water in to the tank area. This sprayed or misted water on the contacts and would also cause an incorrect reading just as you discribed. first 1/2 tank and then after holding the button for a second it would start to flicker and then just drop to a 1/4 of a tank solid. after fixing the leak it took at least two weeks to dry in the florida weather while covered.

If the above is not the case have you tried one of those wands that you stick down the john and hook a water hose to? I dod this with 50psi water every time I get back to the house after I dump and then after I dump again with the hose still on.

Hope this helps.

Chris
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Spokane , Washington
Chris,

I'm pretty sure there's not a leak. If I have a tiny faucet drip, my pump will cycle on and off. I've been doing some dry camping, so I would know if that pump was operating.

I have the wand that attaches to my bathroom sink. Whenever I'm at a campground with great water pressure, I'll run hot water through it and work the entire tank, up and down, and swiveling to make sure the jets are hitting everywhere.

Of course, it would help to know where I was trying to hit. Google isn't helping me find out what the sensors look like or where they're located. Hanging? On the wall? Solid rods attached to the bottom and ceiling? My head's too big to get down there and look. Not that I would if I could.

Jeff
SMI Duo braking
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Some where on these forums I read that the sensors on the newer trailers had a pressure sensor rather than any kind of mechanical or electrical contact system. It appears that when the trailers are located in high altitude locations the sensors "feel" the pressure built up in the sealed tank from the change in altitude and reads full even when empty.

My monitor was terribly incorrect when new so while having some work done at JC I had them calibrate the monitor. It seems to have accurately functioned since then. That was four years ago. The service technician did say that it is recommended that the monitor be recalibrated on an annual basis. I don't know how long Airstream has used this type of monitor, but you might check the owner's manual, or call/email Airstream and ask. The instructions are in my manual.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray water, monitors, tank, black tank, level sensor