Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
glen gardner , NJ
Lightbulb skydeck roof help 2 problems-help/ideas...

So I have a 2005 skydeck 2 issues...

first problem is that my roof hatch is leaking- Has anyone fixed it and if so ideas? I did some fixes in which I installed a new gasket for garage doors and some silicone however I stopped the leaks however noticed that with some crazy 2" of rain a few times and driving while dealing with rain... I am getting water coming in- its actually pushing past the gasket and allowing water in... trying to figure out a even better method. I am in the process of elimation of getting the hatch leak under control... but assume others might have a idea?

second problem- I noticed that there is a part of my roof that is soft (not good with a rooftop patio but its all in the very front so its not where ppl would really stand) I thought i found a company RV Armor to do it but once they found out its a deck on top.... they will not warranty (lifetime) the work/do the work. I want this done right and properly and warranty if possible- Anyone out there can put me in the right direction? I live in NJ...

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I will attach pictures in a few days....
ger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I replaced the original rubber seals around the rooftop door. They were worn OUT. The new ones are the same style with the metal clips, I cut them to go around the corners. The top of my steps have a lot of water damage so I think there was leaking before I did this, but after a big storm I see no issues now. Oddly I see daylight at the rear-inner corner at the edge of the door from the bottom of the steps, but no water gets in.

I also was seeing cracking of the fiberglass roof, super small micro cracking (see close up photo) and so I got Dicor fiberglass roof coating and the matching cleaner product and cleaned and sealed the roof. Probably similar to the RV Armor guys product. It looks nice and it revealed that I had been leaking around the roof door, I painted the coating all the way up to the vertical portion. Did the same at every joint on the roof. It required two coats, and I had to remove the sink to get around the front AC.

I think the softness of the roof (mine is right next to the roof door in the center) is actually the wood laminate layer having gotten wet. Fortunately the rest of the roof is constructed of steel and styrofoam all glued together. It will probably not get worse like those all wood roofs that need to be torn apart and rebuilt. I did have to take the inside vinyl off the ceiling so I can paint Killz primer on the part of the ceiling that got moldy for water intrusion.

The water also came down the sidewall and soaked into the floor which sadly under the tile is just wood sheeting. Not even plywood. I was able to scoop the wood out with my fingers like putty it had so disintegrated. But I was able to completely remove the bad wood, cut it out and replaced it with new wood. Then sealed the new stuff to the old stuff and re-tile the floor. It's good as new. The steel that the wood is mounted to was painted and hasn't rusted, and the fiberglass exterior didn't care about the moisture either. Probably gonna have to take the refrigerator out as the fiberglass behind it has delaminated so probably got moisture back there too. The wood laminate gets soft when hit by sunlight, but when it cools it's flat as a... a... board.

Not sure there is anything to do, just like the roof, I am not taking it off and replacing the whole top just because there is a little sponginess to a small part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5625.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	393207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3472.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	393208  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9996.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	393210  
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
glen gardner , NJ
thanks for the pictures... do you remember what you did for the roof hatch or what you used to not allow the water to come in. I have been trying tons of things but rain keeps finding a way in. I am testing out and its getting better but not fully sealed. I am trying again this weekend with a different gasket and hopefully this works. Its comming thru the little swing door by the feet at times and also the top seal on heavy rains which is odd because with a hose I don't get anything coming in

gotta stop this water from coming in before i try to fix some of the weathers steps/wood.

any ideas... or gasket # etc... thx
Old 05-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Check out https://www.steelerubber.com

Although I think I just got my replacement off of Ebay. I took some measurements and just guessed right.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
glen gardner , NJ
Thumbs up

do you know which one you ordered? thanks! ebay is the best! hahaha
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I don't as they only go back a few years. But I took measurements of the thickness of the metal rim and the depth of the original seal and then measured around the rim to see how much of it I needed and was shocked how perfectly (although I had to cut it in each corner) it fit in the place of the original seal. No rain penetration, although I get a little air penetration, but fresh air won't kill ya.