Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
RVs Depreciating rapidly XL390

Quote:
Land Yacht 390XL..New roof a/c both of them, new dash a/c, new awning and hardware, new stainless micro-convection oven by GE Profile, new water heater element, new cooling unit in refrig, generator just refurbished and serviced, new transfer switch, new dash a/c, recent oil change in coach and generator, new invertor board (totaling over $14,000) check the nada it is over $80k w/o options. Looking for @ $80k for mine. Don't call if you have no money since I'm not in a bind here and I don't need to sell but want more slides. Don't call me from Alabama if you want to low ball me either cause I don't need you to bother me again! It has just over 60k miles and I'm using it now. It runs great and gets decent gas mileage. Only one slide living area and kitchen. Lots of storage and double slide trays in basement. Washer/dryer combo, day/nite shades, solid hickory interior including flooring in living area and bedroom, ceramic tile in gallery and bath.

For those wanting to sell right now. It is a sad day.

Most are not getting offers.

and if they are, units like the one above.

offers can range in the 50 to 60 thou. or less. range.

I have Lost 50% value in 3 years of ownership on my 345LE
even with spending $20,000 on updates, Improvements.

The Boat market is even softer.

A cash buyers market for sure.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
A similar conversation has been going on for several weeks in one of the Wanderlodge forums with similar comments.. Luckily for me, I'm in the buying market albeit for the older items out there as I don't have tons of cash available for this use now..
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
I have Lost 50% value in 3 years of ownership on my 345LE
even with spending $20,000 on updates, Improvements.
That's about par for the course for RVs, even in a good economy, isn't it? I have heard of a couple of people who financed motor homes and discovered that they had to pony up tens of thousands of dollars to pay off the loans when they sold them.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

As the old sayiing goes, you never make the money when you sell it, you make the money when you buy it right.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Buy Low-Sell High

The key to any purchase, RV, property, etc. is to make sure it is practical, and what "you" want. Chances are, if you want it, then it is wanted by others and a sale, if necessary, may be easier.
Any short term roll-over will generally be not be a positive experience.
If you keep things long enough, and care and maintain it with pride, (some pain), and joy then, over the long term, it should be positive.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . Similar, but even sadder is the real estate market, except the dollar amounts are generally much larger. Not being able to sell my Safari 25 without giving it away won't kill me, but not being able to sell my house (which has lost 50% of it's supposed value) were I to get sick or lose a job, might. Until those clowns in Washington get SOMETHING in this economy moving we're all in some kind of trouble. Regards, Craig
Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
As the old sayiing goes, you never make the money when you sell it, you make the money when you buy it right.

AHHH, to understand the simple issue of
want and needs issue of Life

just the Human Nature of it all.

I am going to make an offer on a Wonder-lodge here in the next 6 weeks or so.

Looks Like the time to buy. and I have a Want
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote