Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Routine Service

I have searched this forum for the information I'm looking for without success, but does anyone here do there own routine engine service work, such as oil, and filters changes?

If so, do you have a source for the filters you could pass on to a motorhome "newbe"?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Filters are available at any auto wholesale outlet, or any heavy truck dealership ----BUT ------ I have done this over the years, and I have refined this in later years.

If you are doing high mileage, and returning to your own shop regularly, it might be (is) worthwhile to develop your own support system.

But, a motorhome generally is not a high mileage unit.

I find my oil change intervals happen when I am in NY or CA or Dawson Creek BC, and I am not going to carry the gear to do that on the road.

Take you Diesel Pusher to any Heavy Truck Shop and relax with a coffee while they do a professional job, quick and clean.

The shop time consumer is greasing your unit. If you want to save the shop hour rate, grease your own unit. You can carry that air or battery powered grease gun, and you know you have got all the grease fittings. It also gives you a chance to inspect the dark side of your motorhome. I grease my CLIPPER every 2500 miles. (approx.)

When I go to the truck shop, I specify an "ENGINE OIL CHANGE" and a "COOLANT DCA READING" only, and find the cost makes economic sense.

If the coolant DCA is low, you then buy and change the 'charged' coolant filter at your convenience.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
To answer your question, Napa, or any other upper tier parts house can cross reference every filter on your coach. I used to use a lot of Donaldson filters servicing our Cummins 330/Allison 6 speed on our 2000 Dutchstar.

To echo Masseyfarm above, I gave up doing my own for just the reasons he states. Check out Speedco or similar "on the go" shops for big rigs too, like a Jiffy Lube for trucks. I ended up finding a local mobile/single bay shop guy that was reasonable as well.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote