Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
New Owner Intro!

So we purchased this 95 36' DP Land Yacht a few months ago and got to work going through it replacing and tightening screws, cleaning, fluid changes, fixing electrical gremlins etc. but finally got her out on the road this past weekend and thought I'd share....

We are in Arizona and down here a big winter sport is the California sand dunes where we take our quads and buggies into the huge sand dunes and basically let loose! The dunes are about a 500 mile trip and the coach worked great. We cruised at 65 on the speedo but seemed to be passing a lot of big rigs so I need to get the GPS out and see what we really are doing.

The coach handled great for how old it is with a little swaying but nothing to white knuckle over. we did have a couple issues and things to work out before the next trip in two weeks!

1. the microwave function doesn't work? the convection does but for some reason the microwave doesn't? makes the sound but doesn't labor the genny or get hot?
2. You can see in the pictures a rock or something got thrown in to the trailer and bounced back and broke the taillight lens.....any idea where I can get a replacement?
3. Also pictured is oil spray on the front of the trailer I've reading up and think I overfilled with oil and it's obviously coming from the draft tube? time to double check that and see it the radiator has been affected.
4. also need to get a turned down exhaust tip!

Other than that all went well and really had a great time, big difference from the 5th wheel, love being able to have hot coffee on demand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	172113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	172114  

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	172115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	172116  

Name:	20121102_085734.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	172118   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121101_103545.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	172119  

Name:	IMG_3466.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	172120  
race bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Looking good being used.

That engine should not be passing oil if its in good shape? Check all filters, etc for weeping. You should be using Rotella 15/40 in this engine.
See my post on fuel leak, as you should upgrade the fuel return line if it is original.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1043624

Does the microwave work when plugged into shore power?

The tail lamp units on this model are Hella and not readily available in North America. You might try Airstream, but I think your best bet is eBay NZ, or Australia. They are a common lamp in that part of the world. See my old thread here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post907492

The LED upgrade was rather expensive when I did the search.

Let me know if you find another source.

The coach should handle well on the highway. Is the coach level with air suspension charged? Have you got proper inflation in all tires? I now run 105# front, and 96# rear on 265/75 rubber.
This coach does handle better in windy conditions with full fuel and some water. (coach is lighter on the front end with low fuel.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Looking good being used.

That engine should not be passing oil if its in good shape? Check all filters, etc for weeping. You should be using Rotella 15/40 in this engine.
See my post on fuel leak, as you should upgrade the fuel return line if it is original.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1043624

Does the microwave work when plugged into shore power?

The tail lamp units on this model are Hella and not readily available in North America. You might try Airstream, but I think your best bet is eBay NZ, or Australia. They are a common lamp in that part of the world. See my old thread here.

The LED upgrade was rather expensive when I did the search.

Let me know if you find another source.

The coach should handle well on the highway. Is the coach level with air suspension charged? Have you got proper inflation in all tires? I now run 105# front, and 96# rear on 265/75 rubber.
This coach does handle better in windy conditions with full fuel and some water. (coach is lighter on the front end with low fuel.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'll have to check the Micro on shore power and let you know, we scoured the booklet/manual to no avail?

There is a lot of talk about the 8.3 on the Cummins forums about the draft tube/slobber tube on these motors. It appears there was a factory fix with a return line or catch can as well as a issue with the dipstick needing to be "calibrated" not actually using the dipstick but going by quantity instead per Cummins . I however used the dipstick so I need to see.

It drove great don't get me wrong no vehicle is going to track perfect and the roads in Cali and west AZ are not great in fact are pretty bad in spots. I had a 3/4 tank of gas and full water load, the tires all are at 95psi 255/80/22.5.

That's a bummer for the tail light lens I was hoping for a domestic replacement I guess it makes the search a little harder and longer is all. I need to source out a skirt as well.

I'll check the fuel lines something I didn't even think about thanks for that.

Jim
Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Small update, microwave does not work on shore power? the convection works great? Need to dive into this a little more.....I am no cook!
Oil was a little over full, dropped it down a bit will have to see next weekend if that was the breather tube issue?
Found some tail light lenses in Australia Ebay! just need to pull the trigger on then.
Heading to Cali next weekend let you all know how it goes!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
If this is the same micro as mine, Sharp, it is a good unit and probably is worth trying to repair.

This may be of value to you if you have to remove it.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1183711

Have a fun trip.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by race bannon View Post
Small update, microwave does not work on shore power? the convection works great? Need to dive into this a little more.....I am no cook!
Oil was a little over full, dropped it down a bit will have to see next weekend if that was the breather tube issue?
Found some tail light lenses in Australia Ebay! just need to pull the trigger on then.
Heading to Cali next weekend let you all know how it goes!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Great weekend with not one issue! Coach worked great my speedo actually decided to show the correct speed A+!
My buddy decided to go a little too "off road" but the tow tuck got him out no problem...AAA RV coverage!
Great weather and lots of fun in the sand, yes that's his 5 year old in the tire tracks!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Got a present in the mail yesterday from Australia!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Looking good. I kinda thought you would use that need for an excuse to fly down there to pick it up and make it a holiday? (business trip for tax purpose)

I see you got the whole assembly. Was it the LED?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by race bannon View Post
Got a present in the mail yesterday from Australia!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Looking good. I kinda thought you would use that need for an excuse to fly down there to pick it up and make it a holiday? (business trip for tax purpose)

I see you got the whole assembly. Was it the LED?

Dave

Australia is definitely on my bucket list!

I had to buy a lot of 5 they came with the housing as well and not LED unfortunately. Seemed like a good deal at about $25.00 each with shipping and since they are hard to find I can hoard them for future breaks

Next is to swap out the Micro and new 6 volt batteries for the coach the old 12 volts aren't keeping a charge for long when dry camping, solar charger is after that might as well soak up some AZ sun and put it to good use!