Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Motorhome Repainting

Guess our '05 396 XL has spent most of it's life out in the sun because all the paint on the top has gone bad, and most of the dark color on the sides has gone bad due to what they call "checking"...supposed to be caused by out-gassing of the fiberglass. Anyway, the prices I've gotten for even just repairing the bad spots seem very high to me.

Then I heard people are taking them to Mexico for repainting at a significant savings.

Anyone have any input on the subject of repainting here or in Mexico?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Great excuse to take a vacation.....do you have to pay in U.S. Dollars or Pesos ???
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Great excuse to take a vacation.....do you have to pay in U.S. Dollars or Pesos ???
What little I've learned from other forums, they only take cash dollars, which is sort of scary in my opinion. This is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Hi Steve, one option you might consider before repainting is to have the gelcoat finish restored. My 97 AS Landyacht was faded from age and last October I met up with a couple in Ft. Lauderdale who operated a boat/rv refinish business out of Yachthaven RV and Marina just off I95 and Marina Mile exit.

Its hard to post photos here but will be to send you my before and after photos which were amazing!! My AS is 35.5 length so they refinished the exterior which also brought back the decals for $400. For another $100 he resealed the roof also.

I could not be happier and its stands out like the shinny new rigs! Taking it to the Airstream Rally in Escanaba next month and already told to expect multiple offers on it

Meantime, Brian and Su are the owners of Five Star Restoration at 602-821-3631. Tell them I referred you. Might be well worth a week long trip down to Fort Lauderdale. It took them 2.5 days to finish mine and that's mostly because it rained half days.

Mike Caldwell
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Also, Blue Beacon Truck Wash is a national SemiTruck wash facility with locations across the country. They do it by hand for about $35-40 which is great when your covered in bugs or road grim. They have a website with locater should you want to give them a try too.

Mike
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks Mike, and I would do that in a heartbeat, but my '05 396XL has full body paint. I'm even considering the cost of just having it stripped down to the white gelcoat, and then installing some vinyl stripes.

I would attach a picture, but it seems I've exceeded my "quota".
Old 06-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
What little I've learned from other forums, they only take cash dollars, which is sort of scary in my opinion. This is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible.
Well, I'm for one glad that someone that lives in Common Sense Texas, has some, for I'd be very worried that crossing the border with any large amount of money is just plan stupid.

I would try and get some sort of wire transfer between both parties and pay as you go; say 25% up front and 20% increments as work is progressing (pictures or video needed to verify) with the final 15% upon delivery.

Goodluck, but keep that common sense part of your brain in red alert mode.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote