Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Motorhome Owners; Where are you

I HAVE VISITED THIS SITE ON NUMEROUS OCCASTIONS and have not found any threads whatsoever. I know there are people that own XL's and XC's because I see them at rallies and at the factory when I'm getting service on mine.
We are fairly new (2) years owning a motorhome and would like to know what I can expect to replace or go wrong the next couple of years.
Thank you
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Bfred,
Most of us own "Classics". In our case a 1986 345. I know that there are many XL & XC units out there, but maby they are still too new to be generating much information.
Much of the information concerning appliances, heat, A/C, plumbing, etc. should be of use on your unit.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
A few weeks ago I started a thread poll on what year motor home do you own. The tread quickly died. Seem most of us on the forum have the old classics and as Rob said need the advice of fellow owners to keep them running. Maybe you should be happy that yours is not in that category yet. You can enjoy the other threads, (non-repair) while we plod through the techy stuff. We will talk to you in twenty or twenty five years for now just enjoy your wonderful motor home.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would bet ( imhop) that many of the owners of that type motorhome do not really think of themselves as "Airstreamers". Not that they should that is, but they disassociate from the aluminitus crowd.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Truly an Airstreamer

Welcome to the Forum.

We have a 1998 Diesel Cutter MH and have been very active members of WBCCI for 11 years. We are "Airstreamers" in the truest sense. LOVE to travel, camp, caravan and just plain fraternize. I also bought a 1967 Caravel to restore because I love the "silver", but won't give up the MH and all the comforts.

Hang in there on the motorhome quest for information. Maybe there just aren't so many problems yet! Ha!

I just drive and don't do the maintenance, so my husband is really the expert on anything mechanical/electrical. He has replaced poor quality batteries, has had to trouble shoot many electrical problems, has upgraded the inverter, installed a central vacuum system, fixed a broken slide out, installed fantastic fans, and is just now replacing marker lights and side view mirrors that are impossible to see out with front mounted versions, there are problems with the location of the fuse box and corrosion, which he hasn't found the perfect solution for yet....There's probably a million other things, but I don't remember them all....We have had tires blow out and windshields smashed in snowstorms while driving the Interstate....

We aren't on the forum much and maybe that's the case with other mh owners. Hang in there, I am sure information will be forthcoming.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to John Brimer
I have a 1999 Cutter Diesel. I have over 106,000 miles on it. I have modified the trailer hitch to tow a trailer that weighs 10,000 lbs. I have installed a satelite system.

Problems encountered:

Electrical at first. Check ALL connections for tightness including the grounds under the coach.

Overheating. Freightliner and CAT problems with blow bye tube not being long enough. Figured it out before the recall.

Too much oil in CAT. Recall on dipstick.

Starting sensor went bad at 90,000 miles.

Both rear leveling jacks had to be rebuilt.

Gen set has 6,500 hours...still going strong. Serviced every 150-200 hours.

Got a leak in the front...haven't found that one yet. The leak caused the driver side upper ceiling to fall.

The steps will not retract sometimes. I think the motor may need to be replaced. Can tap it with a screw driver and it will work.

The automatic power switch malfunctioned. Found replacement on internet.

Don't get water on the front fuse panel...death to the fuse panel due to corrosion.

Other than the above, no problems.

I think the coach is of high value to me. I will keep it for the next ten years at least.

Need help...let me know.
John Brimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Great list

John, great list. I forwarded to my husband. I think he's also done most of the items you listed. Did you come up with a way to keep the fuse box dry? It is in the front behind the pop out hood and seemed like the worst location.

We recently noticed our windows slipping down and a small 1/4" gap at the top. While the windshields were being replaced we asked them to reseat the windows. They ended up taking them apart and reinstalling. Great job, no more spaces! We did the two bedroom windows and the front passenger window.

Windshields; Our best source was Duncan Systems at www.duncansys.com. They are in Elkhart, Inc. I just got a mailing from them after they sent the new glass and noticed that they do all sorts of RV repair.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Another glass source to check if you're in the south would be Coach Glass in Jacksonville, FL. They also have classic rubber....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Thanks everybody for the encouragement and advice. I printed out the list. Ours is a 2004 and so far the problems have been minor. I have taken battery terminal protectant and sprayed on most ground and starter terminals to try and prevent corrision.
Drive safe and we will see you down the road. WBCCI#7653
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
thousand Oaks , California
bfred I have a 2000 39XL apx 140,000 miles not much trouble just replaced jack coil, rving has been great family time
tomk is offline   Reply With Quote