Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
council grove , Kansas
Inverter location-flat front 96

Hello,
I recently bought a 96-flat front clipper or cutter,65 anniversary
edition, that has some electrical problems.
Now, after replacing the batteries, converter, and alternator, I am trying
to find the inverter, but so far, I can't find it.
Does anyone know where it might be?
Thanks,
Merrill
merrillv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Airstream Class A world.

NOTE: I see you have posted before in the LANDYACHT section? You must determine what MODEL you have to hope to receive reliable information from the group here. We are here to help, but there were many different configurations of Airstream models over the years.

A Landyacht has a "sloped" windshield, vs a Cutter or Clipper that has a "flat front" windshield.

Before anyone can really help you, you have to determine what you have there. "clipper or cutter" are two different beasts altogether. and there was no 65th anniversary edition of a CUTTER that I know of.

A Cutter is max 35' long, and on a straight rail chassis, with MAX GVW rated about 26000#, or similar or lesser lengths on Ford or GMC chassis with ? GVW.

Very few "CLIPPERS" were produced, (less than 10?) and are on raised rail chassis, (Oshkosh or Freightliner) with mid mount entry. No CLIPPERS were produced after the annual model year cutoff in early 1996. The rated GCVW of an anniversary model CLIPPER will be above 32500#.

So if your date of manufacture, (on the sticker on the dash on drivers side bottom of windshield on a flat front) is after April 1 1996, it should be a CUTTER.

The CLIPPER was equipped with the HEART INVERTOR, which is located in the electrical compartment, to the rear of the drive axle, on the drivers side. It is mounted from the top of the compartment, and faces you as you open the compartment door. There are two reset buttons on the front, and it is well marked with factory decals.

Let us know how you make out.
We like pictures also.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
Inverter Location and Model of AS

Hello Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and to clear up some of the nuances of the 96 AS Class A's.
I have read some of your posts, and am really impressed with your knowledge and inventiveness.
In looking at the sticker, it shows June 96, opposite the mfg. and Feb 96, after the Freightliner.
It looks like the inverter may have , at one time, been in the electrical compartment, but appears to have been removed.
I am sending some pics.
Thanks again,
Merrill[

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	landyacht 002.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	278901[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landyacht 001.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	278900  
Old 01-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
inverter location

Hello Dave,
The sticker says it's 36' long.
Here is another pic.
Merrill

Name:	landyacht 002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	278902
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes Merrill, that is an Airstream Class A CLIPPER. You might have the last one built, as I thought mine was the last one.

What is your Airstream VIN? The last six digits should be 710xxx.
Mine is 701137.

The Clipper is under 37' long and marked as 36'. That is how they classified them at that time. The Cutter was under 36' and was labeled 35'.

You have a well designed unit for its day. I have looked at many other makes and models and have no desire to change!

We use ours for cross country, and longer tours every year. We have another 60 day + tour planned for the late summer.

Great find!!!!!!!!!

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 01-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes, the Heart Inverter was mounted from those protruding bolts.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrillv View Post
Hello Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and to clear up some of the nuances of the 96 AS Class A's.
I have read some of your posts, and am really impressed with your knowledge and inventiveness.
In looking at the sticker, it shows June 96, opposite the mfg. and Feb 96, after the Freightliner.
It looks like the inverter may have , at one time, been in the electrical compartment, but appears to have been removed.
I am sending some pics.
Thanks again,
Merrill[

[ATTACH]Attachment 278901[/ATTACH]
Old 01-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
inverter location

Hello Dave.

Thanks again for the info.
My VIN, last six digits are:
She has 58800 miles on.
I think I'll like her once I get around the electrical problems.
Merrill
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I think that must be the Freightliner chassis serial number?

The Airstream body serial number last 6 digets should be 701xxx.

You have a very low mileage unit for being 21 years old. It should be a good one.

I can not be certain when Airstream cut off the model year in that era. You say yours is titled as a 1996, so obviously it seems to be included in that year production?

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-post-1980.pdf

https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

Dave
Old 01-31-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
Inverter Location

Hello Dave,
The complete VIN is:
4UZN7BL1212902705.
There is another number opposite the Multiuse Passenger Vehicle.
It is-710181.
Seems like no matter what I try, I can't get a good picture of the sticker.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Merrill
Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes, the complete number ending in 710181 would be the Airstream s/n, and you would use #710181 for reference for warranty claims, parts and etc, it you are talking with Airstream.

The chassis # by Freightliner is what the vehicle is registered with. That is the number you would use to get information from Freigthliner on the chassis and power train.

My # is 710137, and I think the last 3 numbers are assigned in sequence to every unit down the production line. If this is true, 44 units were built, (trailers and motorhomes,) between mine and yours. The trailers and other Landyacht motorhomes would have a different first 3 numbers, but the last three are in sequence of production.(710xxx was reserved for the flat front Class A)

Dave

Quote:
Hello Dave,
The complete VIN is:
4UZN7BL1212902705.
There is another number opposite the Multiuse Passenger Vehicle.
It is-710181.
Seems like no matter what I try, I can't get a good picture of the sticker.
I'll try again tomorrow.
Merrill
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
Inverter Location

Hello Dave,
Yes, that makes sense.
Are yours and mine Anniversary Models.?
Merrill
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
If it is listed as a 1996 it should be?

Dave

Quote:
Hello Dave,
Yes, that makes sense.
Are yours and mine Anniversary Models.?
Merrill
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Merrillv,
I also have a 65th anniversary edition but it is the 1995 model year. 36'LY CLIPPER BUS or LMP36J CLP We've had it for just over one year and have had a host of solvable (thus far) electrical issues. We live near Columbus Ohio - not too far from Jackson Center where they were made!

You are correct as to where the inverter should be. I am intrigued where you say you replaced the converter. The only converter I know of is actually the inverter. Your picture seems to show what might be the inverter replacement but not sure. What are some of your electrical problem symptoms? If you want I could send you a private email with email and phone information.
superoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Merrillv,
I stand corrected. On my original paperwork I noted the standard options included a 50AMP POWER CENTER (CONVERTER) is the way it was labeled. Then under options, it shows you could upgrade to a FREEDOM INVERTER for an additional $2,153. It starts to make sense that if the original purchaser did not buy the option upgrade or maybe removed the inverter, then maybe it has just the converter. In your picture, I have to admit it looks like a converter, not the very larger black inverter.

Sorry for possibly leading you astray.

Steve
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
((((( "If you want I could send you a private email with email and phone information.[/QUOTE]))))))

This site is here to ask for, and receive help from other members who have a similar interest or problem. Private communication defeats that ideal.
Yes, some PM's are necessary for more personal contact information, but it is best to keep general help information open so that we all can possibly benefit from your experiences.

And we do like pictures.

I have not had much if any problems with the electrical on my CLIPPER. I cleaned the brushes from sticking on the Powertech genset last summer, as detailed on my posts, but other than a sticking solenoid on the the main power disconnect circuit, it has been a well designed system.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1177725

Dave
Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Well, I suppose I could/should start a new thread but here are some pics both before (when in bad shape) and after (with all new insides and new paint job).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3534.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	279445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3537.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	279448  

Name:	IMG_3877.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	279449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3889.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	279450  

Name:	IMG_4142.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	279452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4865.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	279453  

Name:	IMG_4875.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	279454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4876.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	279455  

Name:	IMG_5044.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	279456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5046.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	279457  

Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Very nice! You had quit a project there to bring her back to the luxury you have now.
What is the Airstream date and serial # of yours? Should be 710XXX?

Dave
Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Thank you. It has been an interesting journey. People keep asking if we are going to sell it now that we fixed it up. My wife, the conservative one, simply looks at them and replies - NO, why would we do that. I agree with her. We are using it and enjoying it tremendously.

As for data, I have all the paperwork after it was purchased by my relative. As I understand it, the unit was purchased by someone else in 1995 and driven 3700 miles. Airstream somehow ended up having the unit back and for some reason gave it a different paint job as is shown in the before pictures. It was not clear as to why it was done or why the unit was returned back to Airstream. According to the relative when they were still living, Airstream gave it a different color paint and painted the bottom a darker color. He said there was no other units that were painted quite like it. Again, not sure why.

There is then a bill of sale and new "window sticker" with the unit as of June 29, 1996 when it was purchased by my relative. I will try to attach a copy of it. I have found the airstream serial number on the bill of sale and it is always consistent amongst all the paperwork but doesn't exactly fit with the sequencing you suggest.

The Airstream number is 1LMGTEW30SJ801593

The Oshkosh chassis is 4CDN7BL16S2902367 This translates into it:
- Oshkosh Chassis Division
- V line
- 26,001 to 33,000 lbs GVWR (listed as 29,500 gross)
- 221" to 230" long (listed as 228")
- Cummins 6C 8.3 300hp Charge Air Cooled
- Air brakes
- check digit
- model year 1995
- Manf in Gaffney, SC
- and V line serial number is in the 900000 series at 902367
- this is per the translator Chassis VIN Ident page.
- I could scan and attach if anyone would find it helpful

SO, the Airstream sequencing simply doesn't fit exactly with the 710XXX series of numbering. I am sure mine is an older model meaning 1995 so maybe the sequencing was somehow different.

I will try to attach the "window sticker" for what it is worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1995 Land Yacht Clipper 36 foot window sticker.pdf (116.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes, there does appear to be a question there on the Airstream VIN?

Look at this and there is no Airstream listed ID that quit matches your unit?

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-post-1980.pdf

1LMGTEW30SJ801593

The "1LM" is not defined correctly as it should be "1CT" for the Clipper.

(This may not have loaded properly, please go the link above.)

1A9
Airstream Class A Motorhome
1B9
Airstream B
-
Van
1LG
Land Yacht Class A Motorhome
1CT
Cutter/Clipper Class A Motorhome
1XL
Land Yacht XL Gas/Diesel Class A Motorhome
1CM
Commercial
Motorhome
*10/26/00

You say the Motorhome was returned to the factory, and it may have had some repair, or alteration.

The paint job represents the original brochure that Airstream published to promote the CLIPPER prior to actual production.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...b2c7ee9821.pdf

I believe the later Class A motorhomes after maybe 2000 used the 801XXX serial sequence?

So you do have a "special unit" there with all the different questions that come up. It might be interesting to research that more?

Anyways, the most important thing is you have a beautiful unit that you can enjoy and take pride in, for all the work you have done.

The style of side window in the cockpit seems to be mid 95 production, as it is a 3 piece window, but your mirrors appear to be placed at the same location as the 96 production.
And did it say "CLIPPER" on the original paint job?

Dave
Old 02-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes, I see it did say CLIPPER on the original paint, on the side of the unit.

Dave