Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2021, 10:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Newport , Oregon
Hydraulic Leveling system

I bought this 1999 Cutter about a year ago and the levelers worked fine, maybe noticed some retraction after awhile being deployed. About 2 months after purchase the hydraulic levelers stopped going down. The motor works fine, although it does sound like it’s whining with no pumping or any resistance. If that makes any sense.
BeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Caldwell , Idaho
I have an xc but my guess is the levelers are the same, any warning lights lite up on the control panel? Have you check the hydraulic fluid level? Simple questions but had to ask. Ron
Ron_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Newport , Oregon
No warning lights. Fluid level is good. Little 10A fuse is also good. Bled the valves as well. At this point it must be an impeller broken off inside the motor I’m thinking.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #4

Yreka , California
Mine had the up selonoid fail. Just slide the down selonoid onto valve and they came up. Bought new selonoids. Try swapping to solve your problem.
2Wingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Newport , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wingers View Post
Mine had the up selonoid fail. Just slide the down selonoid onto valve and they came up. Bought new selonoids. Try swapping to solve your problem.
Thanks. Currently it’s in storage for the winter but I’ll get that a shot when i right pull it out in the spring thank you.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wingers View Post
Sounds like that mite be my problem. Is that an HWH system? What model?
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1997 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Arlington , Texas
Hi, I've recently bought a 97 Cutter and am doing some repairs and upgrades. I've been reading alot and doing research regarding the leveling system. I have a small oil leak on the passenger front jack stand. I've read alot of blogs that say the solenoids may be the problem. It might be a loose hose. I don't know yet but will check.
There is no slide on this unit.
Are the solenoids on the pump only? There're not solenoids on each individual jack stand?
Regarding your comment on the solenoids, can you tell me the brand or model, where you bought them?
Also, if possible, the location of the hydraulic pump.
That's a lot of questions...Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
GrHarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
There are no solenoid driven hydraulic valves on individual level jacks any leak there would be seals or hoses. Solenoids are on a manifold after the pump. Sorry I can't tell you where the pump is located.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1997 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Arlington , Texas
Brian, thanks for your response.
The reply's I've received comments from others regarding the oil leak and they often say to replace the solenoid. But I've never been told what solenoid or where.
It turns out the previous owner left some manuals and repair books. I have an original copy of the Power Gear operators Manual for the Leveling Jack system and it shows a solenoid on the power jack stand. I've sent some photos of the manual if you're interested. There are 4 pics.
If so, go to the Air Forums Home Page, open Photos, open Airstream Motorhomes, you'll see Late Model (Year) on the left. My photos are the newest (currently) to the immediate right under GrHarr. Hover over Power Gear and click.
To see all 4 pics, scroll down. On the left it reads "Posted by GrHarr and open
"View all of GrHarr images" to see all 4 pics.
If it turns out you couldn't care less and have no interest, I wouldn't blame you a bit.
GrHarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Oh dear I may be mistaken then, I'm not totally familiar with this setup. Il take a look at the photos, see if I can read the manual and get back to you.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
So I see solenoid valves on the manifold attached to the pump. I didn't see any schematic or photo of any of the jacks. Maybe I missed something.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
This is an old post but thought I would add an update.
Both of my front jacks were leaking and getting harder to retract. That would cause a loud alarm in the driver area to sound. First issue was to add fluid to the tank which I found located in front of the right front wheel.

When I finally got it to Montana for regular service, the shop sent the jacks out to a tractor shop and had them rebuilt with new seals. No problems since then.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote