Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Batteries?

Searched for this information, but couldn't find it, only the typical "discussions" about what type is best.

What batteries are in a Diesel pusher XL, both house and engine, where do you buy them, and what do they typically cost? Mostly interested in engine batteries, as I think I can figure out the house battery thing.

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I cannot help with direct info, I just had new batteries put in my new to me 390. I am having work done before I pick it up and batteries is one of the items needed. The dealer went to Sam's club and got 2 Group 8D cells, they are just under $200 each. I was concerned as the original space was for Group 4D, which has lots less capacity, but he says the 8D fit with just a smidgen of space extra. I haven't seen it, but I am happy I got the biggest to fit. The engine batteries appear to be a bunch smaller but I don't have the unit or the manual yet.

Photos from the internet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_Airstream_SkyDeck_390_3ed4601702ddd092c8fb_24.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	243184

Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_Airstream_SkyDeck_390_3ed4601702ddd092c8fb_25.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	243185

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Randy, are those two 8D batteries the engine batteries, or the house batteries?

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Sorry, yeah, you do NOT need the capacity of an 8D to start the engine, even in deepest winter. No the little ones on the right are the start batts, but I don't have one in front of me and the pic is too low rez to see what they are. The Freightliner manual will say what goes there, but it looks like I pretty broad mount, you may be able to put any two batteries you can get on sale in there. Typically 12 volt batteries wired in parallel like you see there. You can also do two 6 volts in series, but not so common in starter batteries.

I am happy with how easy the batteries appear to be to do maintenance on, lots of space for watering. On the smaller RVs often times they will ONLY allow you to put AGMs in, as there is no under body storage for batteries. AGMs can be expensive.

-Randy
Old 07-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Unless you drive a Prevost or Newell. Both of those coaches use a pair of Lifeline 8-D's for starting.

Then again.......... They run at 24 VDC

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
For me, great timing for this question. I need to get engine and coach batteries as well so I hope someone will post with some recent info on sources, types, cost, and review of their purchase with respect to a 2000 Land Yacht.
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I got the Sams Club 8D Batteries: Energizer 12 Volt Commercial Battery - Group Size 8D - Sam's Club

Not sure what the engine batteries are as I have not taken delivery of the RV yet, nor have I seen how the 8Ds fit. The coach originally came with 4Ds, but they are on a big tray, so I can see there is very likely LOTS of space to put 8Ds and they have the most capacity of a single battery.

-Randy
Old 07-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
If you need 8d or 4d you might consider a cat dealer, they are a very good battery. I have not seen a 24 volt starting system in years, most big trucks have 3 group 31 batteries and they start very well in very cold temperatures.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Rather than dealing with a 165 lb. behemoth of an 8D battery, which has a 255 amp/hour capacity, you would be way ahead of the game using a pair of Lifeline GPL-6CT golf cart batteries.

They take up a smaller footprint and give you a 300 amp/ hour capacity. And at 86 lbs. each, you can actually handle them yourself.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Lewster great idea I need to change soon my 2 8D house batteries on my Skydeck too. I also want to upgrade on inverter/charger to Magnum you have any suggestions ?
Now I got a 2000w centrex which is 10 years old and still works. I like to add an auto start for the generator.
As I am not in a hurry I may have do it somehow sometime in the next year or so. Let me know.
Thanks
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Lewster great idea I need to change soon my 2 8D house batteries on my Skydeck too. I also want to upgrade on inverter/charger to Magnum you have any suggestions ?
Now I got a 2000w centrex which is 10 years old and still works. I like to add an auto start for the generator.
As I am not in a hurry I may have do it somehow sometime in the next year or so. Let me know.
Thanks
Peter
Peter,

In the space of 2 8-D batteries, you can place 6 Lifeline GPL-6CT 6VDC golf cart batteries with a combined total of 900 amp/hours. I've done this several times on pushers.

You can also do a fairly straight-across upgrade to your Xantrex inverter with a Magnum MS-2812 (2800 watt pure sine wave) and the ME-RC remote. It uses the same communication cable and will more than likely fit right into the same space that the Xantrex monitor does now.

Only thing you have to change is the battery temperature sensor.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I checked cat batt. 1500 CCA with 465 reserve capacity minutes weighing 132 lbs....
Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Lewster could I run a residential fridge on this or should it be a bigger inverter and more batterie capacity? How about the generator auto start Magnum offers?
I need to keep my beer cold and the Dometic does do a good job it is either too cold or to warm.
Thanks
Peter
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Lewster could I run a residential fridge on this or should it be a bigger inverter and more batterie capacity? How about the generator auto start Magnum offers?
I need to keep my beer cold and the Dometic does do a good job it is either too cold or to warm.
Thanks
Peter
If you are looking to replace our fridge, I would stay away from residential units and investigate the marine market offerings.

I have replaced many over the last couple of years. A couple of well known manufacturers are Isotherm (Indel Webasto Marine) and Vitrifrigo. Both are made in Italy and offer Danfoss compressors that operate on straight DC, so no inverter is necessary.

They can easily operate on a quality solar charging system (300-400 watts) coupled with a 300 amp/hour AGM battery bank. Or if you really want to go high tech, a much lighter 300 A/H lithium battery pack will offer you 240 usable amp/hours over the AGM's 150 for the same gross amp/hour rating.

Other benefits of marine refrigeration are operation up to 30º off level and the ability to take a pounding! Residentials are made for a house, and the last time I checked, they don't tilt or get banged around like a boat (or RV) does.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
When I had the dealer add the two 8D batteries it was because I thought I had seen in the manual that I got online that the Sky Deck comes with two 4D batteries, but your suggestion of the 6V batts is smart. I went looking for that reference in the 390 owners manual (that includes Sky Deck RVs) and it says on page H-1 that the RV came with the 6V batteries like you said, but on page H-42 (same chapter) it said it comes with 2 4D batteries.

Of courses I did notice several typos in the manual I have and there was the section on extended living in the RV where it called it a trailer, so obviously there is not a LOT of editing of this manual before it goes in your coach. I will probably sell the RV before the new 8Ds wear out, but I will do the Costco thing if I ever do need batts again. That's the kind I have in my current RV.

The advice on the fridge is smart too, although you could easily get a house fridge cheaper than a marine one either will use a compressor that is MUCH more efficient if you have a nice solar system. If you are relying on cheap LP, like I plan to do, the silent fridge is nicer than the generator running to top up the batts before "quiet time". My current RV could easily run on solar as its only got a 5.7cu.ft. fridge. The new one, the Sky Deck, is the big double door, so is that 10 or 12? Would need a lot of roof to mount all those panels and I currently plan to use the roof for parties.

-Randy
Old 08-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I don't have any manuals for my Skydeck I use what I can find at Airstream online.
I have the smaller fridge and put temp sensors in there. Being in TX for a while in 100+ heat the fridge goes up to 50+ which is not too good for the food. Size is ok and I love the extra storage pantry next to the fridge.
Peter
Old 01-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Only one person posted the battery size for the engine batteries. Are they Group 31? Everyone agrees? I have been trying to get one of my batteries to come back to life, looks like the dealer replaced only one when I bought the RV and the other one has gotten so bad it won't go above 12v, drains the other one. Had the bad battery on charge for more than a month and one cell will not bubble. Probably very bad off. I am trying one of those older dumb chargers now to see if that will shake things up enough to start that last cell charging, but it is likely just time for another new battery.

Any recommendations on where to get them?

-Randy
Old 01-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
Only one person posted the battery size for the engine batteries. Are they Group 31? Everyone agrees? I have been trying to get one of my batteries to come back to life, looks like the dealer replaced only one when I bought the RV and the other one has gotten so bad it won't go above 12v, drains the other one. Had the bad battery on charge for more than a month and one cell will not bubble. Probably very bad off. I am trying one of those older dumb chargers now to see if that will shake things up enough to start that last cell charging, but it is likely just time for another new battery.

Any recommendations on where to get them?

-Randy
A good battery would be interstate or a cat battery, my Kw had group 31,3 of them ..2 would have worked , they did a good job..