Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
So you did get the antenna to work? I am shopping for satellite dishes now. I have been happy with the terrestrial antenna on my current RV as I am able to record shows while we are home and then if there is no reception, just watch whats on the DVR. But I intend to be in the Skydeck for many more hours so I should have a dish with me too. Wish I could get a Hopper!

Looks like we have the same sink over the front A/C as well. I know you were having trouble accessing the air conditioning to work on it. Was the sink area removed to get in, or did you climb under? Your photos show it being 83 degrees in the RV, that doesn't sound like the A/C was working. Perhaps you were relying on that totally cool screen door your roof access has. I may have to do something like that, maybe retractable. I have not seen that on any other Skydecks.

I have been looking at pics of all the Skydecks on the interwebs and saw one unit (other than the upgrade that I am trying to emulate) that had a grill on the deck. Am I just not seeing them or are there really no grills on these RVs. The manual says to turn off the gas to the grill before driving the RV, so it seems like there is one on these units. I just don't know where they are. The manual also calls them Sky Decks, two words. Wonder why I started calling them Skydecks.

How did the RVFogDr. guys work out? I liked the pics of the windows out. What did it end up costing? I think I said I was gonna have it done here in California even though I am gonna be close to the place you went, as I can more easily get back to this place. Would be good to see what the price comparison turns out to be.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I had to remove the base where the sink is in. Drilled all rivets out. The picture shows the access to the front AC and yes the front AC is still not working. We had everyday over 90 and the rear AC worked constant but cannot keep up temperatures inside got up to 90 sometimes.
The RVfogDr worked out ok for both sides I paid $700 included taking them out and putting them back in.
I saw one with the grill also but mine does not have gas on the roof. I may redesign the complete stand over the AC to be easier removed for access. Just want to see if AC can be serviced only with the sink base removed. The stand and the cover are still on.
First time I hooked up cable and found out it does not work either at least not with the original hookup.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
OK, Finally gave up on the dealer, and went to pick it up. It drives better than I remember but the mold in all the wall fabric stinks, it is going to be a big deal to fix. I had a list of things I wanted, and he basically did none of them and still managed to get $3000 from me for some 8Ds and a new toilet...

Went to leave and the fresh water showed empty, so they went to fill it and it overflowed. Looks like my gauge is bust. But we know the tank is full so we kept trying to get the water pump to start. Finally one of the guys hits it with a screwdriver. That seemed to work. He did it again when it wouldn't start a few minutes later and it started again. At least I know the trick.

So I turned on the fridge, but the CHECK light keeps coming on. Guess he only tried it on shore power, but I keep trying to get it to start as the instructions say to power it off and back on if the check light comes on. I will keep trying, dealer says its probably not level.

Took it to visit a friend on Colorado, was starting to feel pretty good about the unit as my nose was becoming acclimated to the smell. But just when I hit Red Desert WY the radiator hose let go. Quite an experience.

All had been GREAT until this point. I was passing a semi and the check engine light came on. I look around the dash and sure enough, pegged the engine temp at hot. So I cut the semi off getting to the shoulder, but slowing down caused a dip in the temp gauge. So I crawled to the next exit, temp still going down, but I had to go up a slight rise to get to the exit and at the top the temp was back to pegged. I coasted down the exit and almost stopped at the bottom, but there was no one there, so I California Rolling Stopped and half way across the intersection the engine cut out. I parked on the entrance ramp and hit the brakes.

I moved the bed and look from on top, the usual guy move, but I don't know what I am looking at. The dealer talked me thru pouring some of the 100 gallons from the fresh tank into the reservoir, very hard to open, had to hit it with a rock, after it took time to find the reservoir in the first place. Probably should look if you haven't found yours. I put about 17 liters in when I notice it's gushing onto the ground. From underneath I cannot see anything. Back to the bedroom, this time I see where all the water came from, advantage of a cold engine not evaporating as quick. It is the main hose from the radiator to the top of the block.

Several hours later the HUGE tow truck arrives and hooks me up and takes me to the only diesel shop open the next day, Saturday. Told me the drive would have been $900 if I didn't have AAA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	245154

The next morning the guy in Rawlins, WY calls Freightliner who says it will be Tuesday. So I hop on a Greyhound and I am home. When and if the RV is road worthy again. I'll go back. Hopefully Benadryl will let me sleep on the way back as well as it did the 1000 miles home.

At least I got to spend 2 days in a Sky Deck, sleeping, showering, relaxing, never did get the fridge to run on gas, though the water heater did great. And now two of my friends have seen it with their own eyes.

-Randy
Old 08-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quite an experience. I hope I will get better. Freightliner service is not the Quickest even for small things. My dash air went out and the 2 services in TX I called would not even look at it for w week or so. On my way back I had to pass the dealer I had it serviced in St. Peters MO and they had no problem to get me in and not only checked it but fix it too and I was back on my way.
Peter
Old 08-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Welcome to California

OK, I got the RV to California a week ago last Friday

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	246750

and found a space to rent near our cabin for $30/mo, so I can work on it on weekends until it is in shape for our year adventure (or I get a buyer).

I just got back from the DMV. Crazy hilly drive to the Sonora DMV, wasn't sure the RV could do it, but guess what I got:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 8.09.48 PM.png
Views:	214
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	246749

So some things I have found about the Sky Deck, the plastic is really old, so far I have had 3 cable tensioners fail to hold the window shades, just snapped, the sliding closet door hold down snapped trying to release it, and the rotation switch on the driver's seat. Grrr...

Tried to get the wife to check out the RV but it's musty, smells of mold, lots of stains on the walls that may be where it's coming from, the second ceiling vinyl panel is coming loose and the wood under it seems to be rotten, could be the smell too. Like you said, lots of work on this unit. Above the door is it almost BLACK. I did notice a pipe enters the RV there from under the roof fairing (that is the only word I can think to describe that fiberglass nose in front of the grill table), perhaps that pipe is part of my leak. I took Fabreze to the walls, and opened all the windows, gonna see what happens, but I will likely have to replace all the wall fabric.

Today I finally found the key to the deck radio. Was not on the keychain I got from the dealer, but fortunately it was on the one I found in the basement, guess someone was working under there, it had a 4 button remote and 4 other padlock sized keys that I have not found a use for.

Name:	IMG_1750.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	246751

Powers on just fine, but the reception is crap, I see an antenna lead there, am I supposed to HOOK an antenna TO it or is that just a 3rd roof output from the antenna under the fairing? I am guessing the other two, front and rear of the Sky Deck are to hook TVs too and not to hook antenna or dishes too.

Also got my umbrellas up, they were on Woot a couple of times while I was waiting to get my RV, 9' wide and only $37. I have not found a deal as good since. Glad I bought two. I still intend to put a bimini top over the Sun Lounge after I rebuild my deck furniture (got a $3600 quote to reupholster),

Name:	IMG_1714.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	246752

but gotta get the smell out first. The list is SO LONG after that happens, but I need the wife to dane to go in to make this all worth while.

-Randy
Old 08-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Yes I think one in the bedroom and one in the living room start fogging up too but for now I can live with it as I don't need to lookout of them constant. Drive with fogged window was a paint.
You gone remove your washer/dryer?
I am thinking of getting one.
Peter
Oh, you asked this before and I didn't respond, sorry, I am happy with the Splendide, it is a fine washer, so no, will not be getting rid of it. I have done two loads already, it's better than a hamper by far. Just toss your dirty stuff in there and the stink is trapped. When enough is in there, run it, I have done it while driving. Works great. Need to put fewer clothes in, got really wrinkly clothes so far. Wish I could run it off the inverter, when driving it should have enough juice...

I counted the windows I have fogged and it's something like 11. Looks like I am going to have to do the work myself to make it work out financially. There is a kit on the web to drill tiny holes in the glass, then spray cleaner inside while vacuuming the fluid out. Then you put in these valves in the holes you created that allow moisture out when the windows get hot in the sun but not back in when they cool. Kind of like on headlights where they get moisture in and you just run the headlights and the heat evaporates the moisture and it's squeezed out, when the lights go out, they don't fill back up with moisture, that gets saved for the next rain storm.

Does your ice maker work? Do you have to be on shore power to get it to activate? There is no light on it, no switch to throw. The fridge at least lights up so I know it's trying to work. Not even sure if they are both winterized still, lots to work on.

I posted on the Backup Camera thread, not appropriate, but I was already there, about discovering Pole Lights are a thing that I guess EVERY Sky Deck has. Mine didn't come with them but I found them at West Marine for under $30. Space on the perimeter of the Sky Deck for 4 of them. I also asked, Peter, if you could post a photo of your emergency ladder up close as I didn't get one and will be shopping.

Was shopping for a replacement motor for my Sky Deck rail today, and a new convection microwave as mine got destroyed by the dealer trying to take it out.

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	246754

The list is really long....

-Randy
Old 08-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
re: fogged windows. I have not followed up yet, but my rv shop in San Leandro/Hayward gave me a contact, a glass guy who takes out the windows, cleans the fogged coating out of the inside and then reinstalls so you may find a resource like that at a reasonable price. I had one replaced when I first bought the moho but need the rest (5) cleaned up.

If you bring the moho down to the Bay Area please drop me a pm: I would love to see it. Also check out NorCal Airstreamers on FB for some local chat.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Thanks, I will, if you get a quote from your contact, or if you wanna give out the contact I would love to hear more. I live in Alameda, so the RV will definitely see time spent there. It's just $200 a month to store the RV at the marina vs $30/mo up here.

-Randy
Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Bathroom fluorescent lights

There are light switches in the bath area. On the wall is one for the bedroom and one for the shower. In the toidy is a light switch for that room. Then above the bathroom sink are a few switches, one turns on the vanity lights, two others labelled pump and ceiling, turn on the water pump and the lights under the medicine cabinet respectively.

But there are still 3 ceiling lights in the bath area. Every other set of ceiling lights *(bedroom & kitchen) are available from 3 way switches on either end of the lit space. But the bath lights seem to only be switched by the switches on the fixtures themselves. Is that true of other XLs?

-Randy
Old 08-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Same on mine. Unless somebody know something I don't which is easily possible.
Peter
Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Wow, Peter, thanks for the help, on the TV especially, as always. Where have you guys made it to? Still fixing it up, or just living the RV lifestyle now? Turns out my rear AC doesn't work but it sure is easier to get to than that damn front AC:

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	246895 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	246896

-Randy
Old 08-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes rear is easy I got to my front but have it still not fixed. Can live with one for now more important things to fix.
Peter
Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
You gone keep he sink on the deck? Did you see the nomad airstream sky deck they did? That is nice but I would think expensive too.
Peter
Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
The Nomad (nomadairstream.com/customize/airstream-skydeck/) is a major inspiration for my Sky Deck purchase. I first have to get the smell out and the wall fabric stains cleaned or likely replaced, but I wanna do several things like in the Nomad. That self raising grille right where you have your emergency ladder, nice. That is the one they sell at Camping World I think. The mechanism to raise it with the rail seems obvious. I need to get a new motor for that side of the deck first. The Bimini Top for the sun lounger is aces, there are MANY places that will make you a custom bimini for whatever boat you have, even if its an RV. Heck, if I can get the adhesive off the paint, and repaint the silver area that got damaged and add that top the two RVs (Nomad and mine) will look identical from the outside!

If we really like the RV I can see putting in new solid surface countertops, and tiling over the backsplash in the kitchen and bath. The cork floors would be nice too. FORTUNATELY the floors, backsplash, and countertops are all perfect, so I don't hafta do it to have a perfect RV.

The one upgrade I already did was replacing the portapoti like square plastic toilet with the new residential 320 from Dometic. I didn't wanna start life with this RV and use such a crappy crapper.

Still have quite the list to get working before doing upgrades. That kit for doing the fogged windows seems likely the first order of business. It is very hard to drive into the sun when the windows become opaque when backlit. Need to get the fridge working on gas, the owners manual says to clean the flame area, will do that next. Going to the Reno Air Races next week and wanna have food with me so I don't have to make a store run in the middle of the show.

-Randy
Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Sounds like a plan. I ask and the Nomad Skydeck was over $150k. I really like it don't want to go to this extend but got some good inspirations. Just not sure if i want to invest another $100k or so.
I get the floor done end of the month. Then we gone see.
I will remove the sink on the deck as I don't see a real need for it. Grill would be fine and maybe a cooler for beer.
Peter
Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
The floors, huh? I do like the outdoor carpet you put on the Sky Deck. Your flooring will probably look really good. My floor is still almost new, but it is ugly linoleum tiles. If I wanted to leave it tile (which I like, easy to clean) it would be no issue. Are you putting cork or something cool down?

That Northern California Airstream group is putting on a meetup in the next town over the end of October. Guess I'll have to go, it's almost like they are coming to me. I have not really been a social RV guy. This will be interesting.

-Randy
Old 09-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I have a pergo kind of floor put in from the bedroom all the way to the front. I love cork but the company doing it is not familiar with cork.
The roof carpet is ok not real nice put down but it works and seams to hold up well.
Peter
Old 09-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Pergo can be nice, we did the man cave in Pergo, but it clicks when you walk on it. Wife does not like it and wants to go to wood look ceramic tile. If I was redoing the floor I might take the time to install electric floor heat. Coils of wire permanently trapped under the floor with it's own thermostat. So you heat it with 110v when in camp and waking up is a dream. Bare feet on the floor w/o the morning chill. It is also a gentle heat, no fans, evenly cool the whole RV over. Even works in addition to the furnaces, so they don't run as often but are still running if it gets REALLY cold outside overnight.

Speaking of furnaces, have you got both working? I went to zone one and heat wasn't one of the modes, but zone 2 has heat, but only turns on the bedroom furnace, not the one under the stairs. The heat marks on the outside of the furnace are not on the front furnace, looks like it NEVER worked. In it's home state of Florida I can see why.

The Deck sink is something I will keep the functionality of, I think the sink itself has age issues, but why waste having water up there. Hell, run misters from the umbrella to keep temps down, or add drip irrigation to planter beds up there. The lack of a cooler is an issue, removing one of the tables and adding an outdoor something might be worth while, or even one of those tiny cabinets on either side of the grill table.

Did you get your AV issues figured? The original connection between the two TVs is via coax. Modern TVs use HDMI, so I may be required to run a length from front to back so they can share a source. I was so proud of getting that done in my small RV, but there is a LOT more cabinets to fish the wire thru on this RV, and I have not found any raceway to fish cables thru. Once I get the connections figured out I then need to buy TVs as the one in the RV is the crappy bedroom set from 2005. No HDTV in that bad boy.

-Randy
Old 09-05-2015, 05:16 AM   #79
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
On my 96 CLIPPER, the wiring tunnel is located down the drivers side at floor level, running behind the kitchen cabinets and bath. My unit has no slide. Does your service tunnel run down the right side?

Dave

""""but there is a LOT more cabinets to fish the wire thru on this RV, and I have not found any raceway to fish cables thru. Once I get the connections figured out I then need to buy TVs as the one in the RV is the crappy bedroom set from 2005. No HDTV in that bad boy.""""""
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I hope I have a cable raceway. The kitchen is in a slide, so not there. The basement is insulated, so in theory I could go into the basement and cross the RV and then come back up. My inverter has previously been replaced and the new panel was too big for the info center. So the new panel was mounted in the bath and whoever did it couldn't figure out how to get from the battery bay to the bath and ran it up into the bedroom closet, behind the chair rail, into the chest of drawers and then behind the wall in the bath.

Hopefully I don't have to resort to such nonsense. I do have a fish tape to pull the wires thru invisible areas of the RV. Perhaps I will have to go thru the staircase, so far I have not seen inside the stairs, but that will change soon! I will be pulling the ice maker so I can take it home and de-rust it, hopefully fix it. They are $1000 new, so I can spend a LOT on getting it working. Not sure if that will get me under the stairs, but it's an easy 4 screws and a water and power line away from being out.

-Randy