Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
CALGARY , ALBERTA
2000 airstream landyacht 390 xL

Hi, it is friday night just got home after buying a 2000 390 xL motor home,I noticed your web site last night and wanted all the advice I could get before I looked at this unit but it is too late I wrote a cheque I will take delivery on the12th. I have just retired from 42 years as a crane operator driving a 500 hundred ton crane all over the country so this was like driving a ferrari, if there is any body out there that can tell me what to look for that could go wrong I am all ears,, .I now have a 1999 dodge 1 ton dually truck for sale that is set up to pull a fifth wheel or hitch type trailer deisel auto quad cab e mail me many thanks keith h..
KEITH H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Welcome to the forums, Keith. Can't tell you anything about the motorhomes, we have a trailer, but there are others here that will chime in I'm sure. A unit that new should be in pretty good shape, right?

How many miles and how much use does it have? How was it stored? Winters get pretty rough up your way, I'll bet. Did you get a chance to check out all of the systems today? Fridge, Oven, stove, water, water heater, etc, etc. WHat about the maintenance on the engine/generator. Any records available?

Just a few ideas I'll bet you already thought of. Good luck with it and show us some pictures when you get it home. We love pictures around here.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums, always good to have a fellow motor home owner around here. You bought a beautiful MH and I am certain you will get many years of good service out of it.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
CALGARY , ALBERTA
Hello JIM,SUSAN,just a note to let you know I just got my 2000 390xl home, compared to my just sold 1993 36ft layton celebrity 5th wheel this thing has more swithces buttons and do dads to play with, I have been playing with the surround sound system. when I made the deal to buy (oh we will have the shop foreman show you everthing you need to know)once they got my money they left my wife and I standing there with nowbody to show us a thing so we drove home, and I guess all we can do is experiment.just for interest the dealer was NOVAK RV in calgary,alberta.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sorry they didn't give you a proper walk through at the dealership. Some dealers are like that. It gives the others a bad name.

Post some photos of your new baby and show her off to us. Have you given her a name yet? That's part of the fun of new ownership. It is also a reflection of the owner so chose wisely.

Once again, welcome to the forums. If there is anything you need to know how to operate or, heaven forbid on such a new coach, need to repair, you have come to the right place. Motorhomes are kind of rare here, especially the newer ones, but they are certainly part of the family and always welcomed.

Post often and share in the wealth...of knowledge that is.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Keith,
I also retired after 32 years as a crane operator(Local 324) and own a 2003 396XL. We have not had any real major problems, but will help you as much as I can. Read your manual from cover to cover. Call me at (248)529-3189 and I will try to walk you through any problems you might have. Good luck on your Motorhome. I think you will enjoy it.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

White Lake , Michigan
Keith,
You can also e-mail me at fdbuck28@yahoo.com
Old 12-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
thousand Oaks , California
hi keith welcome,
we have the same motorhome.were not retired got 20years or so to go.
no major problems other then the wife overloading it.glad to see more 390xl,396xl posts.we live in so-cal so this is are beach house.
tom
tomk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
welcome

Hello Keith H,
I have the same motorhome- a 2000 390 XL. We do like it. Is yours the walnut wood? Those are a littlle harder to find.
Now, most will not want to hear this, but i suggest you join the FMCA. Attend a couple of their rallies, and you will learn much needed info about the running gear,as well as most of the operating systems. Your coach probably had a front axle recall-check and see by calling Airstream at Jackson Center.
Frieghtliner at Gaffney,SC has an excellent week long school for owners that have the Freightliner chassis (that's you). Cost is $100. It is an excellent investment. Check the dates on your tires and make sure they are 5 years young or less. If they are the original ones, get them off before you blow one. This is so much more important than with a trailer, as the damage is so major if you blow a tire. Also, it is very near to critical for you to have your coach loaded, then have it weighed; and then find a load/psi table for your tires, THEN MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR TIRES AT THE SUGGESTED PRESSURE! zIPPER BLOWOUTS WILL COST YOU A MINIMUM OF $750. That will be $450 for a tire and $300 for the service call. I cannot emphasize this enough. Keep the pressure what it should be or you are asking for major trouble.
I assume you will be wintering where it doesn't freeze, however, if you stay up there, make sure to put heat tape on the water supply for your ice maker, or even better, shut off and drain it for the winter.About 62 mph will get the best MPG. Make sure to push the MODE button on the trans control to get the best MPG except while in hills and mountains. It is best to turn it off when you are in those. Easy starts will help the MPG. Use the engine retarder to save the brakes.
As the previous poster said, READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. Oh, if you have the washer/drier, drain it for the winter. Course, if you move down this way in the winter the freezing is a moot point!
If you need something special call or email. I'll be glad to try to help.
770-228-6678
wingsofgold1@cs.com
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
CALGARY , ALBERTA
Hello MINNIES MATE,as soon as Itake some pictures I will gladly put up for you all to see, nobody knows how long it took me to convince my wife a motor home is the way to go. I think its name will be something like my wife,s car plate which is UNMEKID,this is a personalized plate so I think UNMEKID II would be ok?. this is a question for any body to answer? it has 4 jacks they go down ok but are v e r y slow to come up a freind gave it a kick after it was off the ground a couple of inches then it came up but not all the way drivers corner is bad. With out looking at the cylinder oil is pumped in but are the springs the only way to come up? I will put a little oil on the cylinder piston they may be to dry, I talked to previus owner he said they only ever used them 2 times since new, in fact the rear heater ice maker rear tv and exrta chairs are still wraped up. thanks all one problem at a time. many thanks ANN KEITH.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
CALGARY , ALBERTA
FROM ANN KEITH, this is to all if you would like nice holiday come up to CALGARY ALBERTA for our CALGARY STAMPEDE if you have not heard about it I am sure you will find it on a search engine, I have room for 3 rigs in our yard but there is a camp groud 2 miles south of us called MOUNTAIN VIEW CAMP GROUD.we are good sam members so welcome all but note all at once...AandK..
Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

White Lake , Michigan
A lot of good advice Steelbird. I also run my motorhome at 62-65mph. Because both Keith and I are retired crane operators, we probably have a liittle advantage over some new owners as far as maintenance and care of the engine and chassis. I have used the mode selection, but really don't find a real increase in fuel mileage or a drop in rpms. My friend at CAT tells me the sweet spot for the 3126E is about 1750 rpms. You are right about using the engine brake and the weight issues. Keith and I could really tell you some horror stories about driving big cranes through hilly country.
Please stay in touch as I'm sure we can learn a lot from each other.
Our motorhome has the hickory cabinets and woodwork in it. My wife also likes to load up the motorhome. The last FMCA rally we went to, our neighbor asked her if she left anything at home.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #13

New Harris , Nova Scotia
Hello
My name is Michael, from Cape Breton Nova Scotia, presently the owner of the KOA on the island, and in the process of emailing some of you in regards to my desire to purchase a 2000 39 xl from Kentucky tomorrow, from Tom Stinnett RV.
Beleive it or not, owning a campground, I never thought I would purchase a motor home, now, I am doing so.
Are they a good, dependable, unit, and will or should I expect better than 8 miles per gallon.
Price was a hard one, at $93000.00 with 20000 miles, but it was from Florida, and no rust.
Thanks for those that may reply by tomorrow if it happens, I am nervous of course.

Michael
early1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

White Lake , Michigan
Hello Michael,
We own a 2003 396XL and enjoy it. You will always have a little issue here and there, but the secret is preventive maintenace. We have 53,000 miles on ours. the average is 8.5mpg. @ 1750 rpms. which will put you down the road at 61-64mph.
If you want to Michael, give me a call at 248-529-3189.
Best of luck on your MH.
Buck
Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred View Post
Hello Michael,
We own a 2003 396XL and enjoy it. You will always have a little issue here and there, but the secret is preventive maintenace. We have 53,000 miles on ours. the average is 8.5mpg. @ 1750 rpms. which will put you down the road at 61-64mph.
If you want to Michael, give me a call at 248-529-3189.
Best of luck on your MH.
Buck
I know your unit is a bit heavier than our Clipper, but we get consistently over 11 MPG and on the last 22000 miles averaged 11.38 MPG with all gallons converted to Canadian. If you use the 20% conversion, that still gives over 9MPG US gallons. I still believe we got better milage with less of these expensive attachments to "improve milage" on the newer units. I drove a new 2009 IH for the last few months before I retired, and it sucked up more fuel, on the same run,than the 2000 model I had before.
I agree with the preventive maintenace program, and do everything you can yourself. That way you get to know your unit, and minor breakdowns will be easier to handle ----- unless your better half blames you for everthing??

Good Luck
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Fallbrook , California
Send a message via Yahoo to ccit1999
Hello Everyone,

I currently have a 1999 Land Yacht 31 Footer (Gas) and have had her 3 plus years and 10,000 miles of almost carefree adventures. I have finally convinced the boss (Wife) that we could start looking for a diesel version. I just came across a 2000 Land yacht 390 Diesel with the Cat 330 HP motor and I believe a Allison 6 speed transmission. it has 75,939 miles on it with 1350 hours on the gen. They are asking 38900.00 for it.. Since this is a diesel which is totally out of my realm and also 9 feet longer I am asking you all fellow Airstreamers if this is a good coach, what should I look for when I go take a look, and does that price seem good or high or fair?
any and all help is deeply appreciated..
Thanks and have a great day/evening

Paul
ccit1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:37 AM   #17

Southampton , Ontario
I am looking to see if any of the 2000 XL landyacht owners have had to change the in dash heater core in the bubble box. Looking for guidance and ideas.
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:38 AM   #18

Southampton , Ontario
Ideas on the Heater core change? Please text me 519-386 2603 or give me a call.
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote