Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 cutter 12v breaker location

Where are the the 12v breakers hidden in the 1999 Cutter? According to the wiring diagrams I have, there are a 30A breaker for the steps and a 50A breaker for the rest of the 12v side of the house.

I had the house side cut out this morning and spent quite a while looking for them without success. Fortunately the breakers in my coach (at least the 50A one) is self resetting.

Thanks,
anthony
apetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to John Brimer
There are breakers all over the coach. Very poor design in my opinion. But here is my list of breakers.

1. Under the cowl in the front are the fuses and breakers for most of the functions in the dash area.

2. There are two breaker switches on the invertor that trips if the outside plug is overloaded.

3. There are fuses under the bed behind a door in front.

4. There are breakers and relays under the bed in the engine bay area. These sometimes get loose and cause weird stuff to happen to the twelve volt system.

5. There are inline fuses in the engine battery compartment that control the turns signs and charging lines to the batteries.

In addition, there are at least two areas where items are grounded. Both of these are under the coach. Check these as both of mine were loose from the factory

You mail email me direct if you like @ sgjohnbcpa@aol.com

1999 Cutter with 93,000 miles and going strong.
John Brimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Questions about Cutters,

Hi Anthony, John (and anyone else with a Cutter

I'm thinking about buying a 98 or 99 AS Cutter.
Can you enlighten me a little about the Cutters. Is there anything I should check, or look out for ?
My barn door is 12' tall, will it fit ?

I really like my 93 gas Land Yacht, I've done a ton of upgrades, Banks, Bilsteins, heavy sway bars, etc, so it runs and drives great now. But I think I'd like to try a diesel.

Are there mods that improve the Cutters performace, or handling? Or is it fine like it is ?? (Being an old hot rodder I like to fiddle with stuff

There are two or three for sale now, one is at Lazy Days and I'm going down there in a few days. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don
PS: What would you think a fair buying price might be??
Old 12-26-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

More questions about Cutters.

Hi Guys,
Do the Cutters have IFS ? Or straight axel?
Is the bed a full 80" long Queen size? Or Short Queen?
Does Banks make exhasts headers for the Cat ?
How about heavier sway bars, available? don't need ?
So many questions, so little time
Thanks
Don
Old 12-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hi Donnall:

I too am a drag racer/hot rodder. However, you will be pleased at the power of the 99 Cutter. If it is the 35', there is plenty of power. No need for all that aftermarket stuff. The ride and drive will impress you. The CAT engine is great. I pull a 36 foot trailer with mine to the races. I have been on both sides of the country and have not had a power problem.

Things to look for:

1. There have been three recalls.

a. The dipstick for oil was not properly marked by Freightline/CAT and you can overfill the oil.
b. The oil breather down draft tube on the engine was too short and allowed the engine blowby (which ALL diesels have) to plug up the radiator. The recall just lenthens the tube, which is not a sufficient fix. The tube needs to be extended PAST the radiator. Also the recall did not allow for the radiator the be cleaned. This MUST be done or the overheating problems will continue.
c. The water tank braces have to be reinforced or the water tank will sag and cause brake failure (happen to me) or worse a propane leak and or fire.

2. Because I pull a heavy trailer, I added a transmission cooler. This was done by a professional due to the requirements of the Allison.

I have 93,000 miles on mine and do not plan on selling it anytime soon.

Good luck on your purchase. Overall, I have been pleased with mine.

BTW, if the coach has original equipment tires, get them to put ALL NEW TIRES as the Michelins will blow out the side walls due to age. Actually, any tire that is 5 years old should be replaced.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks John, that's exactly the stuff I needed to know. One of the reasons I'm thinking about the Cutter is so I can pull a trailer with a car.
Thanks again.
Don
Old 12-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetit
Where are the the 12v breakers hidden in the 1999 Cutter? According to the wiring diagrams I have, there are a 30A breaker for the steps and a 50A breaker for the rest of the 12v side of the house.

I had the house side cut out this morning and spent quite a while looking for them without success. Fortunately the breakers in my coach (at least the 50A one) is self resetting.

Thanks,
anthony
Athony. The 50A&30A breakers on my 98 Land Yacht are on the front wall of the engine compartment Been there done that. Good luck Nye
Old 12-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Donnall,

We had a '99 Cutter. Suffice it to say, we traded it after 11 months. It has a tow rated hitch of only 5000 lbs. You can go to Freightliner and get a stouted hitch.
The power is there for sure and we got 7.5-8 mpg.
Be sure the NTSA recalls have been done on the water tank brackets. FMCA magazine from 2002 will have the recalls listed. the water tank sags and pushes on the airline valving on the differential and on the propane lines, and cause problems. Booom!
The solid front axle tends to cause the coach to wander.
Also the air intake for the motor is right behind the rear tire, knee high. They will get dirty faster catching all the stuff the wheel kicks up. In ours, the air filter was almost impossible to remove (per Freightliner) and is a one piece item. You can't just replace the filter insides, it was the whole thing. Filter and cannister.
We took off the rear dual mudflaps and them on the front. ( Keeps things cleaner behind the front tires) We hung truck mudflaps behind the rear duals. If the coaches you are looking at have a full rear tail-end mudguard,,,,remove it!!!!
Those things are repsonsible for more damage to the towed car, than not having one.
By the way, Airstream refers to these coaches by using the last 6 digits of the VIN.
What ones are you looking at? #710???
Good luck
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I agree that the factory hitch is almost useless. I had mine redone to pull 25,000 pounds.

Tags
12v