Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Window leaks? Caulk roof?

How does one determine if, with no water showing, one has a leak around a Land Yacht window frame?

If caulking around the windows is merited, what material to use?

Does anyone have any experience with Camping World roof caulk/inspection service? They quoted me $349 to caulk around the roof openings (I presume they also mean all screw heads, etc.) and inspect the roof. Good deal or no?

If roof needs a new covering, what is recommended for fiberglass roofs? Cost?

Due to the age of the coach (1990) and the frequency and intensity of rain in Florida, I am thinking that a roof inspection/fresh caulk job might be in order.

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Camping World did our 1993 33' Land Yacht. They thoroughly cleaned all seams and screw heads, and applied SNOW ROOF SEAL elastomeric rubberized roof coating, made by KST Coatings. It was around $300.00, the Camping World inBelleville, Michigan did ours - about 3 years ago - did a good job.
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks for the comeback, gloran. For a while, I thought that no LY had ever had to have the roof re-caulked!

It is good to hear that CW did right by you. I'm going to be talking to them tomorrow, and your post will at least give me a fram of reference.

What about around the windows -- have you had any leaks or had to have them re-caulked?

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

MT. Vernon , Washington
Camping World has done good with me. However, I DO NOT recommend Snow Roof or Kool Seal. They are designed as roof coatings, not sealants. On the can it says, "not recommended for areas with standing water", and we all know there could be low areas on an rv roof with a little pool of water. Up here in the Pacific NW, it turns pink and bubbles. Water creeps underneath and you never can find where it might leak. Full coverage coating any rv roof is never a good idea. A good quality caulk (Dicor) at all vents and roof protrusions should protect your rig. Snug the air conditioner bolts a turn or two. There are many newer products for roofs on the market now. Ask at CW. Just my opinion, hope it gives food for thought. VK
vikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We used Kool Seal on our previous Argosy and will use it on the our next one we redo starting this summer.. had no problems with it.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
VK and HappyCampers, thanks for your advice. Still exploring alternatives.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran
Camping World did our 1993 33' Land Yacht. They thoroughly cleaned all seams and screw heads, and applied SNOW ROOF SEAL elastomeric rubberized roof coating, made by KST Coatings. It was around $300.00, the Camping World inBelleville, Michigan did ours - about 3 years ago - did a good job.
Prices have gone up! CW in St. Augustine quoted me $900 to clean, uv protect and recaulk the roof of my LY!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
window caulking

In answer to your question regarding how to tell if there is a window leak with no evidence of water - there may be delamination below the window both on the interior and exterior of the coach, the walls will be "punky" from the plywood separation. But there most likely will be some evidence of water.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Unhappy caulking

When we had a water leak in our windows - Weekley's RV (Airstream dealer)in Owosso, Michigan recommended pulling the window and putting in new putty before re-caulking. They charged us 35.00 per window (4 years ago) they did a couple and I did a couple.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Gloran, thanks for the advice. I'll go have a REAL CLOSE look.

Re: your windows post: How difficult is it to remove a Land Yacht window, re-caulk and re-install it?