Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
1992 21' Sovereign
2000 30' Excella
2001 31' Land Yacht
Valley Park , Missouri
Whoa! 2001 Land Yacht coasts too fast

I'm planning on taking my low mile (44000) 30' Land Yacht on a Workhorse P32 with the 8.1, through the Rockies this summer. Since I purchased it 5 years ago, I've never hit any real mountains with it, but have noticed that going down any incline at all, this thing wants to run away. It coasts down hill without any real engine braking. I've got great power, and use no oil between changes, so I figure I have good compression. I just figure it's geared so low, it's own weight is pushing it down hill. Just camping, locally, I find myself crawling along in first gear, rolling down hills until the engine is revving to redline at 30 MPH and having to ride the brakes hard to control the descent. This is going down a 7% grade, 1/2 mile hill. Whats going to happen trying to roll down Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado for 12 miles? I've done that trip countless times in the last 50 years with every thing from a Chevrolet Chevette towing a pop up to a 34' Airstream trailer behind a B190 van to an Airstream Land yacht 355XL on a Ford Chassis that didn't run away like my current Land Yacht. Any ideas or words of encouragement? Thank you!
airstreambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
If it's an automatic, you won't have any engine braking. That's normal. I have a GMC Savana 3500 van with the 8.1L and notice no engine braking either.

Make sure your brakes are up to par. I'd do a brake fluid replacement and verify brake pads are good. Any moisture in the brake fluid could boil and leave you with no brakes on long downhill runs.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreambob View Post
I'm planning on taking my low mile (44000) 30' Land Yacht on a Workhorse P32 with the 8.1, through the Rockies this summer. Since I purchased it 5 years ago, I've never hit any real mountains with it, but have noticed that going down any incline at all, this thing wants to run away. It coasts down hill without any real engine braking. I've got great power, and use no oil between changes, so I figure I have good compression. I just figure it's geared so low, it's own weight is pushing it down hill. Just camping, locally, I find myself crawling along in first gear, rolling down hills until the engine is revving to redline at 30 MPH and having to ride the brakes hard to control the descent. This is going down a 7% grade, 1/2 mile hill. Whats going to happen trying to roll down Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado for 12 miles? I've done that trip countless times in the last 50 years with every thing from a Chevrolet Chevette towing a pop up to a 34' Airstream trailer behind a B190 van to an Airstream Land yacht 355XL on a Ford Chassis that didn't run away like my current Land Yacht. Any ideas or words of encouragement? Thank you!

I would recommend downshifting when you get to the steeper grades. I live in Colorado and have been over many of the passes several times. Included are a couple pictures from independence pass. A beautiful drive in a motorhome. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	415999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	416000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	416001
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Downshifter will help, but gas engines are not known for good breaking performance and there is no substitute for good breaks. Brake fluid that hasn't been changed withing the last couple of years will have a significant level of moisture in it. Many times, the moisture will collect in the calipers. Water will boil and leave a gas pocket in the brake system. Result... NO BRAKES. My recommendation is to find a high-quality synthetic brake fluid with a high dry and wet boiling point. For critical applications, I use this:

Motul RBF 660
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Thank goodness I have a jake brake on my Airstream. Dont have to use it that often but last October I was on I-25 south of Colorado Springs and that mountain pass was scary. I was pulling a Uhaul trailer too so had extra weight. It did not overheat and I did pump the brakes a few times but finally made it down the pass. Kept a safe distance behind a tractor trailer and let everyone fly past me.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote