Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
What should this mean to me

I'm looking at a 1995 Landyacht that is gorgeous. The original carpet and hardwood floors look new and so does almost everything else in the coach. It's a cummins diesel with 77,000 miles on it and the service is well documented.

Now...I have been told by the seller that both sides have been replaced from endcap to endcap. This work was done at the factory and they had it all winter two years ago to get it done. The cost was $20K and it's documented too. New windows in the bedroom were installed at the same time.

I've owned one RV that delaminated so I have a natural fear of water issues. This work was done by the factory so it has been done properly and the coach looks new except for some fading on the front and rear endcaps.

How would you feel about a unit with this history? This would be my first class A and I'm trying to go slowly and make the right decisions. I've owned C's and TT's in the past.

The coach is also priced about $10K over the highest book value. The owners keep it covered and I'm sure are trying to recoup some of the money they've sunk into it, but still.....way over book.

Any opinions are welcome.

Take care,
Greg
ggimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Whats it worth to you

I see nothing about it that justifies the extra price. .....especially in todays resale market. Your resale will take a big hit too with that repair history....by the way, why did both sides have to be replaced? With any major damage there will be attendant follow up problems of some sort. (IMHO)
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

They had delaminated due to leaks. The owner took it to the factory when he found out how extensive the damage was. The factory said the only way to fix it properly was to replace both sides completely.

I know he's in deep because of the repair costs, but you're right, it doesn't add to the value from my perspective. It would be nice to think it's like new and all would be well for years, but there is that lingering doubt in the back of my mind from past experience.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Greg---Welcome to the forums. A lot of tech smarts and experience resides here. Going slow and being thorough is also smart when it comes to evaluating a purchase of this magnitude. I'd want to understand what caused the coach to need the sides replaced and look for ongoing issues that stem from that accident. Was this an insurance claim case? Etc. Usually, previously damaged vehicles sell for less than perfectly straight examples in the same condition. Good luck
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have to stipulate that I dont know anything about the motor home end of things. But having said that, I know that a lot of vintage owners put a whole bunch of money into our units and we know that that is money we will never see again. Should my Trade Wind be worth at least as much as a new one given the work I have done on it? Sure, reality is that is worth less than I have put in it. Thats OK, that was my choice. How does this relate to your situation? I think it means this guy is asking way more than the unit is worth on the market and that is that. On the other hand, if it is the one you really want, and yu can afford it, it might be worth paying to much for. Hope this muddied things up for you.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

No accident, just leaks caused the damage. Of course that was enough given the extent of the factory repairs.

I'm probably going to give this one a pass in spite of how great it looks. There's just enough doubt along with the high price to make me feel "not quite great about it"

Trying to go slow and spend wisely. This is a big purchase for us and we're trying not to go so far in debt we can't enjoy whatever we end up with. I've retired, but my wife hasn't and we don't want to delay that with huge loans :-)

Wish I could buy a new one, but that's just not in the cards.

Take care,
Greg
Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Greg,

I think you are making a prudent decision by passing on this unit. I work almost exclusively on large class 'A' MoHos and I can tell you that there is currently a glut of very nice, used units on the market that are priced at the bottom of the blue book ranges.......and the owners are often very happy to get that!

I sold a relatively perfect 40'Monaco Dynasty a couple of years ago for a scant $75,000 when the 'book' value was $92-103K. And it had extensive re-modeling of the cabinetry, new tile and other upgrades with only 45K on the clock.

Bargains are to be had! Keep looking and you will find your ideal coach.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Lew. It's such a beautiful coach I have to remind myself to keep the business side of it in mind. This couple has taken good care of it and certainly spent a lot of money taking it to the factory for a proper repair job, but there's this uneasy feeling I have which tells me something.

To the seller's credit, he called me after we left and told me his broker had told him not to mention the new sides, that's when he told me the whole story of the factory rebuild. He could have left it unsaid and I would have been none the wiser. I appreciated his honesty.

I guess we'll keep looking and try not to get in a hurry.....it's sometimes hard when it's the first time in years we haven't had an RV. I've always had TT's except for one Mini Winnie and we would really like to find the right Class A this time. If it doesn't work out we'll probably end up buying another TT.....but I'd like the easier job of an A.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since he is being honest with you, why not be honest with him? Tell him you are concerned that if it happened once, it may well happen again. Also, did you tell him he is $10K over Blue Book? If you want the coach, tell him you'll be willing to offer him average Blue Book price (or less) because of your concerns. He may surprise you, and accept your offer. Like Lew said, he may be happy to get that from you.
If everything else is in good shape, and you know the repair was performed at the factory, it should have a very good chance of not recurring.
Again, only do this if you like the coach otherwise. If not, keep looking. There are several listed in our classifieds right now.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
I agree with Terry(Overlander63). Be honest with the seller. Tell him if he hasn't sold it in a few weeks and would be willing to negotiate on the price, that you are interested. I would feel comfortable with the factory fix - any warranty that goes with it? Tell him your concerns about the over blue book price in a market that has these units selling at below blue book value. Don't hesitate to let him know that the factory work just puts the MH at average condition - not like new. After a couple of weeks - call him back if he hasn't called you. He may need a dose of reality to set in before he comes off his price. Good Luck and welcome to the forums!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Yeah, or he may decide to take his broker's advice and be less than honest with the next prospective buyer who comes along. It's amazing what some people will do to get that extra dollar.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Im with George, follow Terry's advice. Sounds like the guy is a straight shooter with unrealistic hopes about what he will get. Plus, this sounds like the unit you want. It probally is worth letting him know you are interested when his expectations come down to earth.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to everyone for being patient with my questions and doubts. Your input was much appreciated.

I talked with the owner yesterday and was very up front with him about my reservations at that price. I told him if we were talking about a $30K motorhome I might feel differently, but since he was asking so much over the high book I just couldn't feel good about saying "yes" to buying it. He seemed to understand and I explained I understood he was trying to recoup some of his money, but I just couldn't make it feel right for me.

He was fine and polite as I expected him to be. A very nice couple from what I saw and certainly did the best they could to care for the unit. I told him I was still shopping and to let me know if he reconsiders his asking price. He is negotiable but not nearly to my price.

The search continues.............

Take care,
Greg
Old 09-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Used Diesel Pusher Airstream

Greg,
That coach sounds like a good one if you can get it at your price. Pride of
ownership is not always evident in used RV's. Buy condition, not lowest price, you'll be ahead in the long run. Maybe he'll come around and maybe you'll find a better one before he does.
When we bought ours we made two offers that the consignment dealer rejected (apparently without contacting the seller) After a few weeks
I went back and lowered my off, which the dealer also rejected. So I told him that in Florida Real Estate Law, the offer had to be conveyed no matter how low it was. The dealer was nasty but called the owner and he took it.
The dealer hated me, but I bought a nice coach because the owner wanted to sell it. He knew having it sit on the lot meant all his money was not working for him. A low price put that money to work fast.
If your seller really wants to sell it, you are his buyer. Others have said the market is flooded with used Class A's (true) and most buyers don't know enough to look for an Airstream Low Rider like ours. The seller will be motivated after he realized he's loosing money by letting it sit.
Good Luck,
Paul
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 35' Legacy Diesel
Rayne , Louisiana
does anybody know what class of reciever hitch my 94 land yacht diiesel p. have
YACHTSTER is offline   Reply With Quote