Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
What do you carry in your LY road tool kit?

I'm thinking of getting a LY from the earlier side of the production line (due to cost) for a cross country trip this summer. Assuming I can find one that has been in relatively continuous use and cared for by someone who was proud of their Moho, I might be able to find a worthy unit. I'm trying to both back into those issues that tend to show up in a 20-25 year old motorhome as well as those things I should be looking at when inspecting any candidate. Right now I'm torn between a small argosy trailer that I might be able to pull with one of the cars we have (an Explorer and a Toyota 8 cyl) or go for a motorhome and have everything wrapped up in one.

As background, my primary uses will be for locations where I won't have a need to use a TV as a car, and frankly on a cross country trip it may be nice to have easy access to the larger space.

I have cruised the forums and am familiar with the checklists and have a basic appreciation for the trailer issues, but not so much the truck parts of the moho.

So, what do you carry in your tool boxes for emergency repairs/repairs to your LY? What spare parts do you have at the ready for long trips and what "just in case" things are you ready to repair.

Thanks for the help.
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Standard emergency supplies.
1.Duct tape
2.WD-40.
If it moves and shouldn't use one, if it should move and doesn't use two.
I added a roll of wire in case it is hot.

All auto parts stores in U.S. in gps, and member of road service(good sam or coachnet).
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
I have a good friend who claims his best toolbox is his checkbook. He has yet to find a problem it can't fix.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Not sure if this is overkill but I carry various rivets, rivet gun, common sockets and small breaker bar, channel locks, aluminium tape, electrical tape, phillips and robinson drivers, 3 syringes of vulkem, electric grease, and a hammer. Overkill? Lol

Sent from my LG-E617G using Airstream Forums mobile app
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyquest View Post
Not sure if this is overkill but I carry various rivets, rivet gun, common sockets and small breaker bar, channel locks, aluminium tape, electrical tape, phillips and robinson drivers, 3 syringes of vulkem, electric grease, and a hammer. Overkill? Lol

Sent from my LG-E617G using Airstream Forums mobile app
Not overkill for an owner of an AS, for someone still just looking, my answer was short for a reason.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Not overkill for an owner of an AS, for someone still just looking, my answer was short for a reason.
Looking to know what folks have in their travel kits so I can figure out what I should really focus on during my inspections. Had one last week - unit was a mess. Have another on Saturday and have high hopes, although this one is a moho instead of a trailer.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
A full set of SAE wrenches and sockets. Cresent wrench.
A full set of Metric wrenches and sockets.
Pliers, wire strippers, screwdrivers.
Electrical connectors, some short wires, fuses, electricl tape, multi tester.
Glue, a hammer, a tress trimming saw, duct tape, assorted nuts, bolts screws, utility knife and a re-rechargable drill.
My AAA RV Plus Towing card and a credit card.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
If your getting a motorhome and it has onboard air. I bring a 1/2 inch air impact to remove lug nuts. Other tan that and a volt ohm meter it looks like Mr Dobbin has it covered.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Paul has it pretty much covered. I would list the AAA Card and checkbook/debit card first. In addition to Paul's list I also keep assorted water hose washers and extra sewer hose washers. A role of plumbers tape, assorted clamps and fasteners.
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Spare wheel bearings and races, grease and tools to pack or change a bearing if necessary. I want spares on hand anytime I pack the bearings so I don't have to drop everything and go get parts. I just leave them in the Airstream all of the time so they are available.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I agree pretty much with Paul's list, add the voltmeter, a small air compressor and the necessaries for airing up dual rears, hardware for cabinet repair (screws, etc.) silicone self-sealing tape for coolant hose leaks; vice-grips and other "usual" hand tools: needle nose, repair parts for the shades, small tubes of silicone and other sealant; no lug nut tools except a Good Sam Road Service (and AAA), flashlights, including a headlamp. rags and blue paper towel roll, and a bottle of rum.