Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
Water pump filter

After reading the discussions of noise issues with water pumps and some of the actions taken by owners I decided to look at the filter for our '05 Land Yacht. We bought it in November of 2011 and have never been happy with noise level when the pump was running and we never had any issue with the water pressure. Attached are two pictures of what I found on the filter screen - looks like (a lot!) of plastic somehow got into the tank. Pump is much quieter now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	166118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	166119  

JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
plastic

Could this be plastic from the original holes being drilled into the water tank? Sure looks like lots of plastic "filings" left behind.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I thought that too, but since the trailer is a 2005, either nobody used the white water tank system before much, or nobody EVER looked at that filter!

Either way, better to know it winds up in the filter rather than in your tummy!

Oh, and yes, it sure looks like bits left over from making the connection holes when it was new.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That's pretty awful. When people have removed the fresh water tank, they have found all sorts of debris thrown into the cavity and on top of the tank. This is the first time I've read about drilling debris getting sucked into the water line.

I don't known whether JC has ever cleaned up their act on construction debris, but it's obvious no one cared in the past and just threw anything wherever they could.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
drain

Our water tank has a drain on the bottom. You might want to see if yours does and flush that "junk" out of there. Larry just helped a friend of ours drain and sanitize an '05 that was supposedly used only 5 times. It looked like green cottage cheese clogging the whole thing up. Yuck!!! His screens on all of the faucets kept clogging up. Then we knew why! I think it took a few tanks of water and a sanitizing with Clorox to take care of it.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The drain is hard to turn and gets worse over the years. You can crawl under the tank and there should be an access plate under the drain area. Remove it and loosen the pipe clamp that holds the drain spigot on, unscrew the 2 screws that hold the mounting bracket on the front, and pull out the drain spigot. Whatever may be stuck in the tank may come out faster that way.

Go to the hardware store with the drain spigot and see what you can replace it with. There is supposed to be a Sharkbite fitting that works much better. I couldn't find one, so I used a hose bib and that works, but was harder to install (poor clearance).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote