Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Water heater depressing wheel well

We headed out for our first camping trip of the season.....

On arrival, we found the water heater compartment door hanging open (not the best impression). When we tried to close it, we noticed that the compartment was pulling away from the side wall. On further investigation we determined that the water heater had been installed on top of the wheel well. Over the years, the weight has started to depress the wheel well, pulling the compartment with it.
Now we will have to find a way to better support the tank, and repair the compartment to side wall joint.

Fortunately this is just a local trip, checking to make sure all systems are OK in preparation for a rally in June.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks!
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
sagging heater

do you mean it's falling into or out of the side wall. I just had mine out a few weeks ago to replace the tank. I think what you're seeing as a wheel well is just the insulation underneath the tank. Mine has a small support made out of 2 2x2's & a plank maybe a 1/2" thick over the wheel well & under the tank. I could take a pic if needed.Gary
garypk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I had to rebuild the water heater compartment when I first purchased my MH. I used 1x2 oak boards to replace the original framing. The original framing had rotted out and allowed the WH to move.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Thank you, Gary and 92landyacht. Glad to know others have had the same issue. Yes, it is falling away from the side wall. Mike (DH) expected he would have to build something in there, now that we are back home it is on the 'list' Good thing he likes projects! Good to know how it was originally supported. And then, of course, we need to repair the sidewalk/compartment joint. Good thing we were ocean cruisers before land yachting - same repair skills seem to apply! We can fiberglass
Old 05-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Well one more job off the list! Mike put in a new support for the hot water heater and rebuilt the outside compartment flange and now all is good to go.
Thanks for your help and moral support!