Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water heater

I recently bought a 1994 Land Yacht and received with it the original owners handbook. The handbook clearly states that the water will be heated by the engine coolant while driving, or by propane while parked. I just checked, there are NO engine coolant lines any where near the water heater. After driving for several hours the water is NOT hot.

Does anyone have this same problem? Was this an option? What is the history of this situation? My previous motorhome had this option and it is very convenient for our mode of travel. Barb likes to wash her hair while I am driving early in the day.

Still learning, leaving in 2 weeks for a 7 week trip thru Labrador.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Can't say about your model year but my ASLY2000 does have a heat exchanger for that feature. The PO may have installed a shutoff valve in the engine bay to prevent fluid flow thru the dash heater core which could affect dash A/C operation.
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
By the way, Welcome to the forum and enjoy the Labrador trip. You may also want to do a search on this site for other items of interest.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Many consider the long runs of coolant hose going to the water heater a potential for disaster if they spring a leak or break, so they cap the lines near the engine and avoid that possibility. It's also possible that some PO replaced the water heater with one that didn't have a heat exchanger since the ones with it are more expensive. They may have removed the lines and capped them off in the process of the exchange. Hard to say with all the years gone by what a PO has done.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
The hoses on our '97 are on the back side of the water heater visible only from the inside of the coach by taking the panel under the closet off (on ours looks like a drawer). If they aren't there, then somewhere along the way someone has changed something as per suggestions above.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
We have a 1995 and it has the heat exchanger. It works great and you can see the hoses entering the house in the curb side rear wheel well. I would think a PO probably removed the hoses.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Problem solved, if the weather is hot and the dash temp is set to cold, the water flow is stopped and the hot water tank will not be hot. I would like to see a schematic of the plumbing so I can fix this issue. As I said in my previous post, I could not even find the coolant lines near the water heater.

Not much of a problem because the propane heats the water quickly and cheaply.

We just returned from a 6 week, 8500 mile trip to Newfoundland/Labrador and the propane tank, even having used the furnace a few times is still above 1/4 full. The fridge ran on propane most of the time.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Turner.....your comment about the dash temp is interesting.

I have a 97 LY diesel pusher. It also has the heat exchanger on the water heater. However, putting the dash temp in cold position has no effect on mine. Last May I drove from North Carolina to Key West with the dash AC operating in full cooling and it had no effect on the water heater. I had two stops in rest areas on the trip down and back, always with plenty of hot water and showered while parked at a Walmart one night.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote