Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Working on a valve right now (replacing seals). Seems like a little lubrication is in order because the new seals seem pretty squeaky and, I would think, hard to scoot intoning place.

Cooking oil?
Gail
GBAWTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I didn't tell my wife but I wash the tank valve the the kitchen sink with hot water dawn and then some bleach and now it works really smooth. I just have everything clean and ready to assemble. I just need to know what to apply to the connection before it gets cold again.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Gail;
Vaseline
wvabeer
Pipe Dope
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
What do yall think? 3 1/2 OD PVC coupled to 4" OD black water tank outlet.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FER...DC5?Pid=search
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
outstanding Bill - evidently, you must have been a technical writer, to say the least, in your previous life!
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
I have never had to replace the whole valve assembly. I just replaced the valve itself. If these are all PVC parts I would guess PVC glue would be the best after cleaning eveything
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
White parts are made of PVC and black parts are ABS. Home Depot and Lowes both carry a glue that welds PVC, ABS and CPVC.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I have been told the tank is made of polyethylene and regular pvc glue will not stick. They make a glue but I decided this coupling would be as good and I can take it apart should need be.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #29
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
It fits perfectly.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Is that a standard HD item???????

I see its a 3.99 x 3.49"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fernco-1059-...-/370756619253

http://www.buyplumbing.net/1059-33-F...-Coupling.html

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
It fits perfectly.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Hd?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #32
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
HD = Home Depot

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
Hd?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I got mine from Grainger, they deliver for free at work.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
bladex saga continues

It's Sunday afternoon so I must be working on the Sabre...

Got new seals last week and proceeded to install today. Thanks for the vaseline tip. Between that and a little dose of olive oil the apparatus opens and closes nicely. It also seems to hold just fine.

However, the seal between the valve and the flange on the tank has a tiny drip. After pulling it all back off again I notice a small amount of damage to the flange surface. Looks like some previous repair effort may have had a tool slip or something and marred the surface slightly in one spot. I also notice when I first took it all apart the first time that the last repair effort by a previous owner included a big dose of silicone applied to same surface prior to final assembly. Probably what caused the seals to fail the last time.

Anyway, any suggestions as to how to address this latest issue? I suppose I could try the silicone trick again only with more precision so as to avoid it spreading too far and contacting the seals. Risky... Other thoughts?

As a newbie I ask, is any drip no matter how small a total breach of etiquette?

It's funny how ideas come to you when you need them. As I was putting the valve in today it happened. One bolt is very difficult to reach. I could touch it with my third finger as it protruded through the assembly but there was no way to hold the nut while reaching that far. What to do? Inspiration struck. I had been wearing disposable rubber gloves which were mostly useless as they tore so easily. So, I punched a 1/4" hole in the tip of the third finger where my finger print would be. Cut another hole further up, dropped the nut into the glove and maneuvered it down to the tip until the hole in the glove matched the hole in the nut. I was then able to reach into the space and hold the nut in place while tightening the bolt. My tip for the day.

gail
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
That rubber fitting works great. I filled my black water tank full of water and it holds great.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAWTex View Post
It's Sunday afternoon so I must be working on the Sabre...

Got new seals last week and proceeded to install today. Thanks for the vaseline tip. Between that and a little dose of olive oil the apparatus opens and closes nicely. It also seems to hold just fine.

However, the seal between the valve and the flange on the tank has a tiny drip. After pulling it all back off again I notice a small amount of damage to the flange surface. Looks like some previous repair effort may have had a tool slip or something and marred the surface slightly in one spot. I also notice when I first took it all apart the first time that the last repair effort by a previous owner included a big dose of silicone applied to same surface prior to final assembly. Probably what caused the seals to fail the last time.

Anyway, any suggestions as to how to address this latest issue? I suppose I could try the silicone trick again only with more precision so as to avoid it spreading too far and contacting the seals. Risky... Other thoughts?

As a newbie I ask, is any drip no matter how small a total breach of etiquette?

It's funny how ideas come to you when you need them. As I was putting the valve in today it happened. One bolt is very difficult to reach. I could touch it with my third finger as it protruded through the assembly but there was no way to hold the nut while reaching that far. What to do? Inspiration struck. I had been wearing disposable rubber gloves which were mostly useless as they tore so easily. So, I punched a 1/4" hole in the tip of the third finger where my finger print would be. Cut another hole further up, dropped the nut into the glove and maneuvered it down to the tip until the hole in the glove matched the hole in the nut. I was then able to reach into the space and hold the nut in place while tightening the bolt. My tip for the day.

gail
great idea!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
The saga continues...

I cut a piece of inner tube and created a gasket to try and address the scuff marks on the flange. Seemed work OK. Everything held fine for 5 minutes. Then a trickle of water started but it wasn't coming from the area of the new gasket.

Apparently, there is a leak somewhere above. Likely between the flange and the tank itself. I gather that the pipe and flange are an integral part of the tank. Created as one or can they be taken apart? That is my new question. I'm not real keen on doing what it would take to put a whole new tank in place just now.
gail

Tags
valve removal, waste, black tank