Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
washer/drier in Landyacht

We have a used Landyacht that we've had for a few years now. Don't travel much, but hope to in the future. Does anyone have any tips on using the washer/drier? I have tried it out. It seems to wash ok, but doesn't dry very well. No manuel of course and not much helpful on line.
BarbElmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Hi, I have one on my AS and its not very good. Was hardly used by the previous owner. Its washes okay but because its a ventless dryer, it takes forever to dry and even after 2 hours, clothes are still damp. My dial can not turn past rinse without manually doing it myself. Another weird thing is the water must be left on while in dry cycle. If you do not cut off the power right away, it will start to fill with water again and the door will unlock. Made a serious mistake of opening the door not realizing it was full of water. At least I found out where my drain holes are under furnace and closet

I have a the owners manual and will be glad to send you a copy of it. Because I am full timing now, considering taking it out and putting in a Dometic cooler/freezer and portable ice maker in the space. Even after that change I would still have extra storage space if needed and those are appliances I would use daily not once per week.

Bottom line is that the single unit washer/dryer units must be vented to work properly. The older units like mine (1997) can not be modified.

Model - Bendix WDB-1043
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Washer/drier

Thank you for the info. I"m glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks it's almost worthless. I've thought about removing it because more storage space is always good, but we don't use our motorhome enough yet to make a decision on this. It's kind of nice to be able to wash in an emergency if we would need to, but I think I'll take a portable clothes drying rack with and just hang the few things we might wash. We have one child in High School so in 4 years when she graduates we plan to travel a bit more.
BarbElmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My 1990 Silver Streak came with Splendide vented unit. As I travel for work I am transitioning to all man-made fiber clothing (which is far better than it used to be). By avoiding cotton the laundry washes and dries well. Easily. Microfiber bath towels and bamboo/rayon bed sheets fill out the equation.

I've no objection to using laundromats, but it is the double benefit of these other material types as to mildew resistance and far less space necessary to store that makes already having a washer/dryer a keeper.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote