Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
Lake Odessa , Michigan
TV Reception Almost Nonexistant

I am only able to get one channel. I have a digital converter box. Would getting a new TV increase my reception. This one is a 1998.
btuinstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Digital TV signals don’t travel as far so it is probable you still won’t get much for signals unless you are about 50 miles from a tower (unless you use a satellite receiver). A digital TV will be much lighter though. And you can use it to stream shows and get HD picture. We tend to download a bunch of shows before we go camping and plug IPAD into the TV. You can also download from public library WIFI.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:14 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yep...Along with a new antenna👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuinstra View Post
I am only able to get one channel. I have a digital converter box. Would getting a new TV increase my reception. This one is a 1998.
You should get better reception with a new TV. I think you will definitely have a better picture and the new TV will be lighter. I'm assuming you have one of the digital converter set top boxes that were available when things first went digital and those things were not very good. The receiver in a new TV should work better than the one in your converter box.

If your digital converter set top box is an old one that thing could be at the end of it's life as well. A new TV would fix that problem since it would replace the box.

But if you used to get more stations and now only get one, I'd definitely check the antenna and wiring. The antenna wire and connections are subject to jostling and sun and wind and weather. You could have a bad connection up on the roof of your RV.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
I am constantly amazed at the new TV sets. They are lighter, brighter, better picture, etc. And at very low prices compared to sets we bought years ago. And the "Smart" tv will log onto wifi and provide loads of entertainment choices. They also have the opportunity to use an Apple TV or Amazon fire stick. That way I can project to my TV set anything I am doing on my laptop. I think you would be much happier with a new TV. After 22 years, your old one has done its job nicely, but it's time to retire.
Captn.Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
You should get better reception with a new TV. I think you will definitely have a better picture and the new TV will be lighter. I'm assuming you have one of the digital converter set top boxes that were available when things first went digital and those things were not very good. The receiver in a new TV should work better than the one in your converter box.

If your digital converter set top box is an old one that thing could be at the end of it's life as well. A new TV would fix that problem since it would replace the box.

But if you used to get more stations and now only get one, I'd definitely check the antenna and wiring. The antenna wire and connections are subject to jostling and sun and wind and weather. You could have a bad connection up on the roof of your RV.

Steve
Agree, if your television was new in 1998, it is due to be retired and turned into a boat anchor. Ditto on the antenna. Airstreams are aluminum and kill television signals so an outside antenna correctly wired through to your TV set inside is necessary.

I tried one of those indoor 19.95 miracle antennas and.... nada. Took my Samsung TV outside hooked up with the miracle antenna.... good, but not great. Bought a "Ping-bing-ding" antenna on Amazon (butt ugly, fragile looking and bulky, but rotates with an electric motor.) Hooked everything up outside, and voila! Amazing! Found placement and height of outside antenna matters and that once inside, my "signal splitter" wasn't working right. Replaced that for $12 or so.
I will still use the mushroom antenna when traveling, the other will stay at my snowbird winter home.(probably fibbing about that, but I will have to pack up the antenna, wiring and pole to get super reception..
So I'm spoiled, deal with it.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If you have an old non-digital TV you may have a VHF-only antenna, maybe even non-amplified. You need an antenna that has a pre-amplifier and works on UHF. Most digital stations are now on UHF. If you have the old Sensar "batwing" antenna make sure you have the amplified version. It has a pushbutton switchplate inside that powers the amplifier and switches from antenna to cable. if you have the original Sensar, there is a bolt on adapter for it called the "wingman". I put one on my 2001 Safari and my 2002 Classic. I am in Melbourne, 70 miles from Orlando and get over 25 channels.

Old Sensar Batwing

Name:   RV5095_medlrg.bmp.png
Views: 155
Size:  31.0 KB

Wingman
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wingman.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	371236

Sensar with Wingman (or new Sensar)
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV new Sensar.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	371237
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Sounds like you have an analog Tube TV and a converter box.
I tried that at home for a while when I didn't want to spring for a new TV. It was a Band-Aid sort of fix.
Yes, get a new TV.
The Land Yacht is a MH, yes? Your antenna will be good enough to try. The big problem in motorhomes is fitting a flat panel 16/9 into a 4/3 footprint. It takes some creative cabinetry.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes you need a new TV and TV antenna. And no, you will still not get much or will get nothing over the air unless you boondock in a city a lot. You can sometimes get several spanish language channels and occasionally a religious channel. And maybe a local channel if you are up close. Broadcast TV is going away faster than the newspapers did. I have a new antenna and digital TV and do not even bother to put the antenna up and look now,

I think the title of your post is a simple fact now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A *lot* depends on just where you camp out. Off in the hills of PA, most campgrounds are surrounded by enough high land that you are very lucky to get any TV at all with any antenna arrangement. There are a whole lot of campgrounds around the country in the same sort of situation.

If you tend to camp close to major metro areas, then indeed the situation is different.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Have you checked to see if your signal amplifier is on? I had to replace mine when it stopped working a couple years ago.
I also got the bolt on Wingman that Winegard maked to boost the digital signal. I regularly get chanels 40 miles away, sometimes further.