Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

TV Connecting

Situation:
1. 1999 Land Yacht 30'
2. Two TVs, color RCA in rear, unknown brand in front.
3. No remotes either set
4. Vehicle has Winegard antenna
5. Vehicle has cable connection; assume connected
6. Would there be a factory-installed splitter servicing the two TVs?

Question is, given the age of the TVs (non-HDTV), can a simple cable connection work?

If not, what needs be done?

Many thanks for any suggestions, remedies, etc., etc.

Mike
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I would assume that the TV's both have a coax connection (CATV jack). If so you may find some places that have standard cable still but for most places you will need a CATV receiver. You may get lucky and the CATV receiver has analog outputs (either composite - the single yellow video cable, SVideo - the cable that looks like an old PS2 mouse, or component - the red blue and green cables. It that case your TV's may have one or all three of those types of connections. The quality of the signal goes up from composite to SVideo to component.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks. Since both TVs are factory installed I'm not sure how to access the connections. The motor home does have a cable jack near the shore power connection.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
The connections are on the back or side of the TV - I am not entirely sure - but fairly certain there is a splitter from the outside connection to the physical connection on the TV. Can you post pictures of the TV's? The TV's also will have buttons somewhere - check around the edges.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I replaced both my TVs with flat screen models. The one in the front is suspended from the ceiling while the one in the bedroom is on a tilted mounting bracket affixed to the original box. On my unit there was a splitter located behind the driver's side upper trim box near the headliner.
92landyacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I installed new tv's, much lighter, no more dangling or in the way convertor box all around better situation. And getting the same brand, remote works for either.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2001 31' Land Yacht
Landrum , South Carolina
This is an old thread but the challenge of moving TVs from eh dash to the dinette area lives on...

I thought that by extending the RG6 wire from the location where the old CRT TV in the dash by going through the firewall, down along the heater hoses and up through one of the storage compartments on my 2001 30 foot LY would get me some decent signal. The RG6 wire I tapped into with a female female adapter to an extension RG6 cable is labeled "TV2". Seems it is not "hot". The Winegard thing (splitter, amplifier???) is turned on and I get signal and a good picture to the LCD TV located in the bedroom.

Is TV2 not a cable that is active? What exactly is the Winegard unit in the storage compartment above the sofa/driver's seat? All I want to do is to use the roof antenna to get the OTA signal, be it strong or weak, to the newly located dinette TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote