Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Turn signals installed on mirror arms?

I have always wanted to install yellow led turn signals on the lower portion of the mirror arms on my 2005 LY 30. Has anyone done this to their M/H? Any problems pulling the wires thru the arm and hooking up to the front turn signals?
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Just check and make sure that, when they flash, they are not going to be an annoyance to your vision when making turns into strange entrances. They should be mounted just out of your line of sight from the drivers seat.

You are going to want three wires, and also use them as clearance lamps?

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Well I installed yellow lights on my 1998 LY 30 mirrors. I didn't have a line of sight or interference issue my mirrors had a place machined in the mirror arm and according to the illustrated parts breakdown for these very lights. My only mistake was I tried to find the factory lights made for the mirror by the manufacturer. Turns out any L E D the right size will work who would have guessed. My thought was that the machined spot on the mirror was a knock out (a thinner place) that could be punched out and the new factory light option would be installed and wired. Not so on my model it is 1/4 inch thick at that spot so I drilled a hole in the flat spot placed a grommet and little silicone adhesive later it looks great. I think it added a measure of safety to the land yacht and could be the reason you see so many on newer light truck mirrors today.

The turn signal circuit was easy to get to from an existing light device on my model.
There are wires inside my mirror that heat and operate the mirror do be careful.

Hope this helps.
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Just check and make sure that, when they flash, they are not going to be an annoyance to your vision when making turns into strange entrances. They should be mounted just out of your line of sight from the drivers seat.

You are going to want three wires, and also use them as clearance lamps?

Dave
Thanks Dave. Where I want to mount the lights is well out of my line of sight unless I go looking for it. Yes, I just might add a running light as well.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Thanks Trident for your response. I just felt that someone out there must have done this before me. Looks like I have the same indent on the underside of the mirror arm. My plan was to drill a hole for the wires to pass thru as you did and 2 more for the screws to keep the light attached. I have some gasket material to use as well. Still toying with the idea of a marker light as well for night travel. Much appreciated your insight.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Thanks Trident for your response. I just felt that someone out there must have done this before me. Looks like I have the same indent on the underside of the mirror arm. My plan was to drill a hole for the wires to pass thru as you did and 2 more for the screws to keep the light attached. I have some gasket material to use as well. Still toying with the idea of a marker light as well for night travel. Much appreciated your insight.
I hooked up my mirror light with one wire not counting the ground. I will try to include pictures with my post that should help. The amber light that is in the lower left of the picture (original Airstream) is on anytime the parking lights are on (marker light) when the left turn signal is activated it flashes on off on off not half intensity where you would need a light fixture (a marker light) with two wires and a ground. This is perfect in my option for this mirror marker light application because it is on anytime the other marker lights are on and when I use the turn signal the mirror light and the light that Airstream installed flash at the same rate and this is hard to not to see by other drivers.
Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436976035.999101.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	243031Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436976073.766623.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	243032
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I had turn lights put on the mirror arms in a similar location to Trident, and they don't bother me at all: I have to actually lean over and look to see if they are working.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Wow, Trident, nice job!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Thumbs up great info

Thanks again Trident for the added info to add marker light and the pictures. I'll try to add these on the weekend.
Woody
Old 10-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Well weekend turned into several weeks but they are on. Work great. used 4 led lamps. Mounted the lamps on the arms facing towards the rear for best vision by someone coming up beside me. Hardest part was threading wire into cab. Thanks again to all for there input.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Well weekend turned into several weeks but they are on. Work great. used 4 led lamps. Mounted the lamps on the arms facing towards the rear for best vision by someone coming up beside me. Hardest part was threading wire into cab. Thanks again to all for there input.

I would like to see pictures of that if you get the chance.
Trident