Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Toad Question (LY 30 SO MH)

I have a 2005 LY 30 SO Motorhome. We are shopping for a toad and are looking at the Ford Edge. Does anyone have any experience towing one of these?
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Edge is on the 2008 list...

I checked the Motor Home Magazine Dingy Towing guide for 2008. It is listed. You can find it at:

Dinghy Towing Basics

You will probably do better on getting responses to your question on their forum or other sites that are more motor home oriented.

My own informal survey (looking across the expressway as I drive) shows Saturn and Jeep products in the majority.

Sincerely,
Ralph
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LY 30 SO Toad Search

Thanks Ralph, I'll check it out. In the mean time, if anyone has ever towed an Edge, I'd love to hear about it. The Vue weighs similar to the Edge, and I have family who work for Ford (A-Plan).
Bob
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Wrangler toad behind AS LY Gas MH 30 SO

Finally settled on a Wrangler. Purchased a tow bar and base plate. Installed the base plate myself. Took a while, but was easy. Installed very well and looks great. The Wrangler tows easily. Hardly know it's there. Can't wait to get out this spring.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Great

Glad you were able to work it out... do it yourself is good.

Ralph
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
I have to keep looking in the camera: I already had this Honda Insight and a nice Demco dinghy trailer turned up on Craigslist, so I'm towing about 2K pounds. Not supposed to back it up loaded, and I have not had to yet...hope I don't need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	80343  
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by padillab View Post
Finally settled on a Wrangler. Purchased a tow bar and base plate. Installed the base plate myself. Took a while, but was easy. Installed very well and looks great. The Wrangler tows easily. Hardly know it's there. Can't wait to get out this spring.
Glad you got it figured out. We too have the same setup and surprisingly the wrangler is heavier than you think. This is really noticeable if you have to get on the brakes. I always wonder if that light is going to turn red so I back out of the throttle and smile really big to my wife if we made it through without stopping at it. Ahh.. lifes little pleasures.

Make sure to rotate tires on the jeep regularly too as the towing will really mess with them. Oh.. one more thing. Make sure that the key you use to unlock the steering has nothing on it.. only the key. Otherwise its possible the key will fall out when in the unlocked and off position. The front tires will then lockup in the direction that happened... usually on a turn.

Enjoy!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
I have to keep looking in the camera: I already had this Honda Insight and a nice Demco dinghy trailer turned up on Craigslist, so I'm towing about 2K pounds. Not supposed to back it up loaded, and I have not had to yet...hope I don't need to.
Assuming it's like my dolly, you can do a foot or so without a problem (it's not recommended, of course, but I've never had a problem). I use this trick when I'm leveling the camper with the toad still attached. Also, I will back up a couple inches after loading the car at home - I put a wheel chock down in front of the camper before I load the car (my driveway slopes, so I figure a little extra insurance can't hurt), then I have to back up a bit to get off it before I can go anywhere.

In general, it's okay as long as it stays perfectly straight, but of course what inevitably happens is that it starts to go one direction, and then the entire rig wants to "accordion" together (for lack of a better word) - the rear of the car wants to go one way, the dolly will try to go the other, then the hitch will try to go the same way as the back of the car. Not good.

I got into a situation one time where it was either back up or unload...*sigh* Believe me, I won't make that mistake again...it was a dumb mistake that got me in that situation, and I backed up as slowly as possible so I would go only as far as I needed to.

In any case, aside from not getting into that situation in the first place, be sure to check your straps if you do have to do something like that. Mine loosened a bit when I had to back up. I'm not sure if that's because they'd never been "stretched" otherwise on that trip, or if it had something to do with the backing up.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote