Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
1997 31' Land Yacht
Toney , Alabama
Ticking/Tapping Sound 454 1997 Land Yacht

Hello: Purchased a 1997 30' Land Yacht 74 450 miles, looked it over test drove it, all good. To my consternation, on the way home (a 2.5 - 3 hr drive as my GPS took me way way off course into rural central TN) I heard a tapping sound come from the engine, when I stopped to do a quick walk around check. It did this for 20 min then stopped for the reminder of 1.5 hours of travel. Engine runs strong ran it to 60 - 65 mph on the freeway most of the driving was on 45 mph stop and go roads. I do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to engines and this is my first 454 just wondering what it could be and how to remedy it. Will take it to my mechanic he's not available for a couple of weeks. Thank you The Maverick
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
454 tapping/ticking

Back in the day I raced a couple of 454's. They have some weaknesses. The ticking may be the lifters starving for oil after a long higher RPM run. The engine may have some camshaft wear and it only shows up when the lifters are a bit low on oil. The lifters are hydraulic and require good oil pressure. You may have a weak oil pump. Have your Tech put a reliable gauge on it and check oil pressure at all RPM's. The engine may be gunked up and the oil return holes are partly plugged. This will cause the engine to starve for oil under high RPM/demand situations. Pull a valve cover off and see if there is a bunch of sludge on top of the heads. Check the condition of a couple of rocker arms while the valve cover is off. If they are worn it will be very telling. That indicates oil starvation issues.

When you change oil use a quality grade oil. Going to a higher viscosity, 10w40 or even 20w50, rather than the watery 5w20/10w30 stuff, may help it out.

Now I would never encourage anyone to break the law, BUT, eliminating the catalytic convertor and having a real nice true dual exhaust system installed from the exhaust manifolds back with some low restriction mufflers (think Flowmaster or Magnaflows) would really help that old 454 breath a little better. Just sayin.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
1997 31' Land Yacht
Toney , Alabama
@uraljohn Thanks for the reply. I have no problem getting rid of the cc. I live in Alabama we don't have vehicle inspections and it pretty laid back.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Ticking

We had a 1986 345 Classic for 13 years. I always ran 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter.
Of course it spent part of the winter in Florida.
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
More 454 thoughts

When your Tech checks the oil pressure make sure he starts with a cold engine and continues monitoring it until it is at full operating temp. The pressure should start out high with cold oil and then drop somewhat as it warms up. After fully warm it should have at least 15/20 LBS pressure at idle. If it is lower than that it could be a worn oil pump or excessive main bearing/ rod bearing wear.

Get the pressure readings. Change oil, use 20w50, repeat test. If pressures come up and the hot idle pressure comes up some I would continue to use 20w50 and monitor it on your trips.

Install a good quality gauge in the dashboard to keep track of pressure.

I would still pull a valve cover and do a visual on possible sludge/crude buildup.

Bottom line, if the 20w50 helps it throw in a can of STP oil treatment at every oil change. Lots of folks will poopoo that suggestion. I have run more than one high mileage engine many, many miles on a diet of 20w50 and STP.
Never had any major failures and avoided doing bearing/oil pump changes.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
1997 31' Land Yacht
Toney , Alabama
I will copy your post and bring it to my mechanic next week and return the Marvel mystery oil I was going to use and get some STP. I did put a can of sea foam in the gas the guy at the parts store said it could be spent gas causing the tap. Ran it for 30 minutes sounded great no tapping. My gut feel is it has sat mostly since 2013 and it needs to be run.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
454 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
I will copy your post and bring it to my mechanic next week and return the Marvel mystery oil I was going to use and get some STP. I did put a can of sea foam in the gas the guy at the parts store said it could be spent gas causing the tap. Ran it for 30 minutes sounded great no tapping. My gut feel is it has sat mostly since 2013 and it needs to be run.
Keep us posted after your Tech does an evaluation. Minimum would be all fluids changed, brake and power steering fluid flushed, belts and hoses replaced, new thermostat, filters, etc. Don't forget the differential fluid. Interested to find what he discovers under valve cover.

Some of this may seem expensive and excessive but there is just no way to describe the feeling when your sitting on the side of the Xway with a blown radiator hose on Sunday morning in the middle of Montana! Happy Travels.

BTW, welcome to the AS world. Hope you have many happy adventures.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have had fuel pumps make noises if it has a mechanical one. Best bet is a stuck lifter. Have it checked out and put some good synthetic oil in it. That will flush things out. Valve train is still my best guess.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Some 454 apparently can develop cracked exhaust manifolds which can cause ticking sound, also apparently an emission tube on right side in exhaust manifold. Just another thing to check out.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Verify good/replaced fuel rubber hoses. Old ones can’t handle gas with alcohol in it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
1997 31' Land Yacht
Toney , Alabama
UPDATE: I couldn't wait over the weekend to see the mechanic, so I changed the oil added 5 quarts of 5w 30 synthetic (valvoline high mileage) and a quart of marvel mystery oil, started it up it tapped while idling, drove it to the end of the street about 500 yards and tapping went away. Drove it 30 miles, and have restarted it several times and the tapping is gone!
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Low viscosity oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
UPDATE: I couldn't wait over the weekend to see the mechanic, so I changed the oil added 5 quarts of 5w 30 synthetic (valvoline high mileage) and a quart of marvel mystery oil, started it up it tapped while idling, drove it to the end of the street about 500 yards and tapping went away. Drove it 30 miles, and have restarted it several times and the tapping is gone!
5w30 is really, really low viscosity oil for your older 454 with some pretty good miles on it. I am glad that it is not ticking but I would still install a good quality oil pressure gauge and monitor. I would run at least 10w40 with can of STP and go to 20w50 with can of STP if I was going to be in some high heat conditions.

Hope it all works out for you and you get many miles of smiles with your new to you rig. Happy travels.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would recommend a thicker oil as well. You could probably get away with Rotella T6. Mobil 1 15W50 is good stuff for older engines. The cam shaft is the main thing to worry about with thin oil. It is has been upgraded to a roller cam then no worries.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:30 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
1997 31' Land Yacht
Toney , Alabama
Well, I guess the consensus is do not use 5W-30. I almost got back handed out of my mechanics shop when I mentioned I changed the oil to 5W-30, they were ok with the Marvel Mystery oil. I went to 5W-30 because that's what the chevy manual says. Anywho, I will change it to 10W-40 and add a can of STP, and consider the 5W-30 and marvel a " Flush ." Going to get the brakes and suspension checked out a general mechanical check....before I take it to Pensacola.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Not claiming any 454 hands on experience, but here's a suggestion.

Engine oil analysis kit. Search for it, available from many sources.

If it's starting to behave a bit better, run it for XXXX miles and get a test kit, get the oil sample, mail it in and get the findings. The findings will have detailed test results and can point to specific sources of the contamination. Contamination in oil is often an indicator of internal wear. Tells you health of engine info and is real good for long term monitoring. It doesn't fix anything, just provides lab report info, metals, fluids think coolant, contamination from outside air bad filter etc.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Also, pick up a few bottles of moly lube. Our oil today does not have much moly in it. The diesel oil also has a lot less. On your older engine, the cam needs that lubrication. Or you will wear off a lobe. You lol probably find, as you run it more, the motor will quiet down.
Headers, 3 inch exhaust, Walker quiet flow mufflers
New fuel lines/ filters
New rubber brake hoses
New engine fuel pump
New master cylinder and four new calipers
Tires
Wipers
Trans flush install a super heavy duty cooler don't go through the radiator
Centermatic wheel balances
Bilstein steering stabilizer
Check fuel tank for rust
New cooling hoses even the ones to the inside heaters/water tank
New shut off valves for cooling hoses ,need two of them
Two weekends, and you should be good to go. These are the main things that will put you on the side of the road..at night...in the rain...on Sunday.. In nowheresville,USA. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote