Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Swap Driver w/Passenger Seats in MH???

The cockpit in our 30' LYG MH with slide has 6 way electric seats.

The passenger seat also has an electric leg rest that folds out, which is very comfortable and comes in handy when you pivot the seat around to face the cabin/living area when camping.

The problem is that when the leg rest is deployed, your legs tend to extend out into the doorway area.

I have often thought of swapping the passenger seat over to the drivers side because then when you turn the seat around and put the leg rest up your feet won't stick out into the entrance door area.

My hesitation is that of safety while driving. My fear is that if the leg rest ever accidentally deployed while driving then my legs might get jammed up against the dash and maybe I would not be able to work the gas or brake pedals.

Has anybody ever done this or thought of doing it?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
My fear is that if the leg rest ever accidentally deployed while driving then my legs might get jammed up against the dash and maybe I would not be able to work the gas or brake pedals.
Sorry for laughing, but I just had a vision of your wife trying to explain to the cops why you ran the stop sign.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Sorry for laughing, but I just had a vision of your wife trying to explain to the cops why you ran the stop sign.
I guess that answers my question. Good sense of humor.
Michigan
Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
.........I have often thought of swapping the passenger seat over to the drivers side because then when you turn the seat around and put the leg rest up your feet won't stick out into the entrance door area.........Has anybody ever done this or thought of doing it?

Please, all jokes aside, do you think it's asking for trouble? Is there a way to do it without sacrificing safety? I really would like to be able to put my feet up from that vantage point of our MH when parked and not have to carry a freestanding footrest in the cabin.
Michigan
Old 04-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
i don't have a MH but some of the questions would seem to be:

seat tracks/swivels - are these right/left interchangeable or specific to each side. if NOW, the DS swivels right and the PS swivels left - to point to the interior; after the switch would the seats now only swivel towards the door? [not an issue if they move 360 deg.]

seat controls? if they are now on the outside, they would move to the inside.

arm rests - if now on the outside of both seats, they would move to the inside. would it interfere wit hthe center console [if any].

wiring - if the DR side has wiring etc. and the PS does not, or if there is different wiring for each seat you would have to move/reroute the seat control wiring.

good luck and let us know how it turns out. in the meantime i think i'll just put my feet up........
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

az-streamer, thank you for your thoughtful reply. Leary just laughed at me, however, I can't really blame him and I appreciate the humor.

Yes, you're correct, when the seats are switched, the controls would travel with them and also the armrests. So, I would have to get used to that. No big deal. The wiring is no big deal, either, 12v is 12v.

As far as swivel is concerned, that's no problem either.

So, the real issue is: would I be taking too big a risk that somehow, someway, the footrest could like, of it's own accord, start folding out while I (or, God forbid, my DW) was driving along the road enjoying the scenery.

Obviously, that would be a very big problem. (And, as previously pointed out by Leary, it could be kinda funny as long as nothing bad happened.)
Michigan
Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
So, the real issue is: would I be taking too big a risk that somehow, someway, the footrest could like, of it's own accord, start folding out while I (or, God forbid, my DW) was driving along the road enjoying the scenery.

Obviously, that would be a very big problem. (And, as previously pointed out by Leary, it could be kinda funny as long as nothing bad happened.)
I laughed "with you", not at you.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Seat Switch

Bob:
I assume the foot part is a manual control?
You are not going to put it out at every stop so I'm sure there is some way you could devise a lock out for it that would be easy to remove when you want to turn the seat and use the foot pad.
A couple eye bolts and a short chunk of chain to start and then work on a better idea.

Is there a shoulder belt involved here as it would be on the wrong side if the anchor is seat mounted and the belt hangs off the wall?\
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Find two pieces of flat metal that are parallel when the foot rest is retracted, drill a hole through both pieces and place a pin through the holes, never worry about pre-mature foot pad release again.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
pre-mature foot pad release
:::Checks with Medicare to see if we're covered against the dreaded afflication:::
Old 04-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Bob I'm not sure of your seats but I just bought two so I can relay what I learned. The swivels I have seen rotate 360 so not a problem. If your seats are both 6 way power the bases will be the same, leave the base and just remove the seat from the top of the pedestal. There should be a plug in the back, just unplug and plug in the new seat. As mentioned the controls will now be on the other side. Seat belts may or may not be an issue, you will just have to look it over. I would guess you have two arm rests for each seat so I can't imagine a problem there. For the foot rest if you look under the seat you should see three or four electric motors and a bunch of misc. linkage. Remove the seat from the pedestal and lay on it's back so that you can reconnect the power plug. Now you can operate the foot rest and determine which motor operates the foot rest and locate the wires to that motor. Now cut one of the wires to that motor and add extension wires to mount a remote switch on the dash or where ever convenient. Now you have a second fail safe switch to prevent the footrest opening by accident should you hit the wrong switch on the chair. Just a suggestion for a little added piece of mind if you make the switch.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Picture Seat

Bob:
Always include a picture when asking for options.

Is this similar to your set up?
Looks to me that if you move the seat back as far as you can that there would be very little exposure of the foot rest in the entrance door area. I am only going by this picture of another unit.

The Lap Belt will work but be on the wrong side.
Dave

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Cockpit Seat Swap

Mike, your humor is appreciated. Premature scares me too.

Dan, I like your idea. I'll probably do something like that if I decide to make the switch.

Dave, great photo! That is exactly the setup I have. You're right, my feet are pretty much out of the way of the entrance door when sitting in the passenger seat, but the view of the television is much better from the driver's seat (my favorite seat). So, I might just give it a try.

Stay tuned. I promise to post pictures if and when it happens.

Bob
Michigan
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
@Bob: I was thinking the same thing myself, kicked back and the NorCal rally last weekend. I had the same issue with the footrest in the doorway, did not want it there when neighbors came a-calling. My Excella friends asked a similar question: "Why don't both seats have footrests?"...and I started wondering where to get a second right seat to put on the left.

The shoulder belts on the inside would reduce your safety: outside belts help keep you away from the outside windos.

Maybe you could also switch the seatbacks & keep them on the orginal sides?

The SamrtStream suggesion of an added switch is perfect (and necessary), and I would add a little LED pilot lamp in the driver's field of view to make sure it isn't energised when you drive away.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
If you check out this site RV Furniture Seats,Custom Motorhome Leather Seat,Cabrillo iS
they have quite a disclaimer about seats with the integrated seat belts. I don't know all the details but you might check it out before you make any serious moves.

I just got a couple of seats from them and I'm happy but I have an old coach with the belts mounted on the floor so I don't have the problems you guys with the newer coaches do.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
Hey guys, want a woman's point of view? If you have the skills to make the above proposed switch, would it not be easier to just add a footrest to the drivers seat?
Then the controls & seat belts are on the correct side.
Becky
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote