Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Source for pantograph wiper arms

Anyone had to replace the pantograph wiper arms on a mid nineties Land Yacht?

While the web is full of sources, I am looking to find a part number/ manufacturer that is reasonably certain to work.

I have a 95 classic Diesel pusher, but have confirmed that the wiper arms are identical to the land yachts from 94 to at least 98, and Jackson Centre gave me their part number (510795-104).

Unfortunately, my not so local dealer indicates they will take 4 weeks to obtain, and I was hoping to replace them prior to a trip at the end of the month. I know they are the same type of unit as used on various trucks, buses etc, but none of the local shops are able to match them up.

Given that the part of the arm is plastic, which has gone brittle with age, I am betting that other Land Yacht owners in warm climates have already had to replace them.

Anyone got a source and or a part number they used successfully?

Thanks
John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastern USA , EAstern USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejo View Post
Anyone had to replace the pantograph wiper arms on a mid nineties Land Yacht?

While the web is full of sources, I am looking to find a part number/ manufacturer that is reasonably certain to work.

I have a 95 classic Diesel pusher, but have confirmed that the wiper arms are identical to the land yachts from 94 to at least 98, and Jackson Centre gave me their part number (510795-104).

Unfortunately, my not so local dealer indicates they will take 4 weeks to obtain, and I was hoping to replace them prior to a trip at the end of the month. I know they are the same type of unit as used on various trucks, buses etc, but none of the local shops are able to match them up.

Given that the part of the arm is plastic, which has gone brittle with age, I am betting that other Land Yacht owners in warm climates have already had to replace them.

Anyone got a source and or a part number they used successfully?

Thanks
John

This probably will not help much, but back in 2001, I lived in San Antonio for a few months. We were members of a PA. unit, but while visiting San Antonio, we hung out with the locals at their events.

I don't remember what unit it was, but several folks with late 90's Land Yachts, similar to mine ('98 Land Yacht), had gotten together with a machine shop to design and make new arms for these coaches.

Their main objective was to be able to purchase blades off the shelf for a lot less than the ones we currently have to buy. I was not going to be there long enough to have a new set made for my coach, so I did not participate, though I wish I would have.

If you querry the units around San Antonio, someone with the same style coach might have a source for some custom arms that can be had.

Good luck.

Steve
WeLoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Smile Wiper parts

You can find what you are looking for on a website called " schoolbusparts.com" They have a lot of things that can be used on Airstreams. I got a new set of arms, and an exact replacement for the base shaft for the pasenger side wiper, and an exact replacement for the windshiels wiper reservoir. All at a reasonable price. They have tons of parts for the Chevy P30 chasie!

Porourke
porourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
www.amequipment.com has what you need. They can't look up your AS part number but go to aplications on their site and download the catalogue. They have everything you need and all the information on how to measure and identify what you need.

Butch the parts guy really knows his stuff and went out of his way to help me fix and upgrade the system on my '82.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
i had the same problem three months ago. airstream referred me to 'rome truck parts' in rome ga. they specialize in all things wiper. every thing i needed was in stock and shipped overnight. tremendous price. remarkable service. i will never look anywhere else.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
BTW...if you plan to install the system yourself make sure you have plenty of wd40 on hand. the nuts and bolts on a 15 year old ly will be tight. think of what they do and how much moisture they get. its a lesson learned from bloody knuckles and a lot of 'cussin'.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Rome truck parts is indeed a great source! Apologies, I should have replied to this thread - I got replacement arms from them for about $72 each late this summer.

The arms were identical to the originals and were shipped to me in a few days from Georgia.

I was also fortunate that my rig had spent most of its life in Arizona - removal and replacement of the arms was actually very easy and took a total of only 30 minutes to do !

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote