Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #1

Carlos , California
Smile Should I buy 94 Airstream landyacht 79k miles? Why Airstream over other motor homes?

Hello, “Your advice is needed” I’m thinking about buying a 94 Airstream landyacht RV 30 ft gas engine, but I do not know anything about this product. The coach has 79,000 miles and it’s very clean. It cost a bit more than a 94 Winnebago or Coachman but I like the way it looks. Can you tell me anything about the manufacturing of the MH, reliability, durability, and overall performance? Thanks
Philinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Airstreams are better known for their trailers, but both are known for there quality workmanship,components and cabinetry,this is reflected in there price. Airstream stopped manufacturing MH in 2006, but when looking at a sixteen year old coach the reliability, durability, and how well it is going to perform is going to depend on how well it has been taken care of, regardless of who manufactured it.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
1994 Airstream Land Yacht

16 years is a long time for most motorhomes to sit out in the weather. Like anything else that age, condition should be your determining factor.
We looked a a lot of the available Airstreams when we bought our 94.
I even flew to Texas (from Florida) with the intent of buying one there and driving back to Florida. Condition was mis-represented and I passed.
I did buy in 2004 based on condition of a then 10 year old coach, a diesel pusher 35 foot Land Yacht.
Nothing is cheap to fix on old RV's, so buy the best condition you can find.
A really nice Winnebago beats a used up Airstream, but with condition equal, the Airstream was much better quality when new in my opinion.
(Cabinetry, appliances, upholstery, generator, fit and finish, plus the aluminum and fiberglass body construction as opposed to partical board)
Next time I'm gong to look for "garage kept" only because the sun does tremedous damage over the years and many owners don't keep up with the deterioration. Ours has been garaged since we bought it, which makes maintenance much easier.
One of the best things about the 94 Land Yacht is it's aero-dynamic design and how it slips the wind. Plus that body style was continued until about 2 years ago, so it looks contemporary if well maintained.
Another importand differance is the 94 ill have an aluminium roof! 16 years is beyond expectations of a rubber roof coach.
Would I buy another Airstream? You bet.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Should I Buy 94

I just bought a 1984 310 Limited with low mileage, but the thing you need to know is How long HAS IT BEEN SETTING UNUSED? The Silver Queen had been unused for 3 years I finally found out from FO. Much more to do TLC on and many appliances that don't work. I have replaced the Refrigerator, Furnace and the toilet. Still working to get all the plumbing ironed out. Freezing damage from not putting RV antifreeze in the drains did a lot of damage, so I'm still dealing with that. Check it out carefully.

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #5

Carlos , California
Thank you for your responses. Guess what, yesterday I went to see the Airstream and it was very much overstated. It was not in very good condition. When I test drove it, water actually leaked from the top of the windshield and fell on to the dashboard. It did drive nice but it simply wasn't cared for as the seller stated in emails and photos.
Today, I bought a 93 Winnebago Adventure 32 ft with 50,000 miles. I bougth it from the original owners and they have the entire work history on the RV. It has been very well kept. I think I did good fro $10k.
Philinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
'95 Land Yacht owner here... I agree with all of the above. If the price is right, repairing problems on a '94 Airstream is worth doing. If a '94 Winnebago has problems toss it. And by the way the roof on my '95 is fiberglass not rubber.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hendersonville , North Carolina
1995 Land Yacht

I am looking into buying a 1995 Diesel Land Yacht...38,000 miles..35 ft....garage kept..really in beautiful shape for 10,000$ Everyone says its too big and will be a problem navigating..I have no fear of driving it but am I being unrealistic..??.I am a 63 year old woman, who loves to drive! I am selling my home and plan on traveling around the country and living in it. Are they expensive to insure? Can I get into the State Parks with this size..? Any input would be helpful...what kind of gas mileage do they get? 10? I feel like this deal is to good to pass up..it had only one owner..also I will be towing my car behind
rubyredskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
That is a great deal 35 foot gets you in almost all national and state parks. Diesel has lot of torque and is good for towing. Rear engine makes the drive quiet.
We have a xl390 which is 39 feet and our gas mileage or better diesel mileage is anywhere from 7 to 9 towing.
Check tires for age the year of manufacturing is stamped on it if older then 7 years plan to replace no matter how they look this is about a $4k investment.
I owner is good he properly pampered it all it live and the money you save gives you funds to repair and upgrade as needed.
Good luck
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Good buy?

That sounds like a good buy. I would not sell ours for $10K. It's 22 years old and still gets 11 MPG towing anything (Our 66 VW, the 2006 Saturn Vue or even our car trailer with an antique car on it)
Just back from Florida after a 1500 mile trip, ready to go again. Ours has just 112,000 miles (which is nothing for the Cummins Diesel) and runs like new. Anything else wouldn't fit in our RV garage.
Plan on some repairs, but less than SOB's, go for it.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My 97 Land Yacht diesel pusher was garaged since new and only had 45k miles when I bought it a year ago. Its in excellent condition but age and time do cause some things to wear out or break. The microwave /convection oven was replaced $450. New tires, shocks, bell camber, belts, generator service, flat screen TV's, satillate radio, and transmission pump, $3500. Considering the great price I got it for, it was worth every dollar. It draws attention at every RV park and people always ask to see the inside. Drove it cross country last October pulling a Jeep GC and got 11mpg with no problems.

Retiring in 3 years and fully expect to keep it in service for at least 10 years. Quality of interior finishes is excellent but I would like to change the color and fabrics at some point.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1994 31' Legacy 30
Tampa , Florida
Sounds like Rubyredskies has found a good one. I bought a 94 30' gas Yacht with 54,000 miles back in 2013 for $12,000 and have since spent another $12,000 on a variety of projects. I love my coach and would do it all over again. I am 81 and have no problem driving towing a large van (Honda Odyssey). It had had some roof leakage that was repaired which had caused some separation of the headliner, fixing the headliner was most challenging but also the most interesting.
ctatoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Rubyredskies......I have a 97 diesel Land Yacht which averages about 11mpg towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. 35' is large but manageable, personally I do not like backing my rig into tight camp spaces but with practice, it gets easier. Its a great rig for full-timers especially if you have the washer/dryer.

This month I put it into the shop for yearly service and mechanic found 2 problems that were missed by the Freightliner shop. 1...fuel filter has not been changed since 2006. 2....air filter had a large rat nest in it. Not sure how long its been there but suspect it was from tobacco barn original owner had it stored inside.

One item to check is the hydrolic levelers. Both my front legs were leaking. Cost about $400 to have the seals replaced.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Should I buy 94 Airstream Landyaught 79k miles

Thank you everyone for your input...for many personal reasons I chose not to get the Airstream for 10,000$...yes an amazing deal! Mainly I didn't want two engines to worry about and I wanted something smaller. Found a 1971 28ft Avion Travelcader that I am remodeling on the inside and keeping the outside vintage....its in beautiful condition..(was stored in a barn for 40 years where the mice enjoyed living)! I paid 4,000$ for it with new tires and new 700.00 lock and 3 new skylight covers..all the cabinets around ceiling look new but the others not so much but have saved them to sell if anyone wants to buy them..hope to be on the road with her the first of June...plan on pulling her with a diesel surburban...she pulls like a dream..weighs about 4700 pounds...I am happy with my choice! Happy trails!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
And the contact info for the motorhome is?

Glad you found a choice you are happy with.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Should I buy 94 Airstream Landyaught 79k miles

Anyone interested in cabinets, sink, stove, dining seating and table from a 1971 Avion Travelcader, contact me at 828-337-2626..The Stove was never used but the Trailer sat in a barn for 40 years...still needs some cleaning..I am located in Hendersonville, NC....
Old 05-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 33' Land Yacht
Pooler , Georgia
We bought a 1999 33' Land Yacht with 54K miles. It had always been garaged and is in great shape inside and outside . Workmanship is outstanding. Sorry they stopped building MH in 2006 .
Cobia13 is offline   Reply With Quote