Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

2000 33' Land Yacht
Amarillo , Texas
Exclamation Service engine soon dash light

Bought a used 2000 33ft Land yacht in August. I’ve had nothing but trouble. Service engine soon light came on second day I drove after filling gas tank. Shop did a tune up. Replaced all 3 batteries. 150 miles from home on first trip the light came on again. Had to have alternator and unjointed replaced in Colo. 350 miles later on trip home light came on again. Replaced gas cap and light went off. Left on trip in cold wether and discovered heater didn’ work. Then discovered the gas heater didn’t work and water heater pump was busted and city electric hook up doesn’t work right. Drove home in ice storm with no heat or defroster. Service engine light still on. Had to use portable heater on dash to keep windshield from freezing right in front of driver. Shop said no code showed for thermostat but suspected that was problem. Replaced thermostat and told to drive several times to see if light came back on. In the meantime $1000 for new water heater combo. 5time I drove it, service engine soon light came back on and it was cold enough to know heater still doesn’t work. Codes ran again I have no manual for the engine? Where can I get one? At this point I just want to sell but can’t with light on. I’ve read a couple of things that it could just need oil change? Should I cut the service engine light wire?
Vline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

The gas cap turning the light off for a time indicates you may still have a small air leak in the emission system. Could be a line on the charcoal canister. Have you been given a fault code? P0447 is a general evap code, that in most cases won't effect drivability.
Any loss of power? Plugged Cat converter on older units is a concern.
Broken vacuum lines on the heater control box may be causing both the no heat & SES light concerns.

If this doesn't help I can only repeat what I told Customers when they called the GM store for help...hold the phone a little closer to the problem.

Good Luck

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Do you have the specific codes ?

Often just searching by code will point a tech in good directions.

Troubleshooting a lack of engine heat again pretty routine stuff. Didn’t say fix is simple but basic I have heat here but not here tracing.

Also sounds like trials and tribulations of a 20 yr old RV and debugging systems unless sale was for “perfect condition” road and camp ready.

Codes?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote