Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Screen door/main door sticking together

Can we be the only ones frustrated with the screen door?

When we have just the screen (main door clipped open), we keep the little sliding panel closed for bugs. If someone opens the screen, not opening the panel fully, and doesn't grab it in time, it will connect with the main door. To separate them we have to open the little sliding panel which is difficult to do because it catches on the latch mechanism of the main door, requiring more force than should be necessary to separate the doors. It also happens when someone closes the main door from the outside without opening the panel first.
This makes it really difficult for the person inside to get out!

Has anyone come up with a solution for this?
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
On ours, there is a sliding latch that opens the screen door. When the screen door gets stuck to the main door, push in on the tapered part of the sliding screen door latch. It is visible outside the screen door even with the panel closed. When you push the latch it should release it from the main door.

Ain't it fun!

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Try spraying teflon dry lube or silicone in the slide track. I use teflon.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Sam, that is such an easy fix. We have been frustrated by this poor screen door design many times. Thanks for sharing your solution.
Now, what's the secret if you're the person trapped inside with the sliding panel closed & the doors stuck together? (Someone on the outside to open?)
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Some people have drilled a hole in the screen door frame just left of the sliding panel and put a wire (aircraft cable/small wire rope) through to the finger hole on the sliding screen door latch. The wire is left in place and then can be used to pull open the screen door latch. In our case, I just use brute force and slide the sliding panel open so I can access the latch. Ours doesn't slide easly, because of the main door handle is in the way, but it will slide.

One person could always stay outside to open the door in emergency, but that would take a lot of the fun out of camping. ;-)

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think I misunderstood the original problem. Are you saying the slide panel actually catches on the outside door inner handle or lock knob? Mine doesn't, but upon looking at it, the clearance is small. How much interference is there? Could trimming the panel edge and installing longer anti-bug fuzz help? On mine also, there is enough clearance between the screen door and the jamb, with the whole assembly closed to install spacers between the screen door frame and the plastic door latch, providing more clearance between the two doors.

How much interference overlap is there?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Thanks, Sam! That does it!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Obviously AS must have fixed it between 1997 and 2007!
Yes, the slide thing does get hung up on the door opening mechanism. Obviously it isn't supposed to be closed when the doors are together, but somehow it seems to happen fairly often....

School's out, I'm glad I'm not the only one asking for help to get out!! Teflon spray ,I should have thought of that. And maybe the whole wire escape plan.....
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, the teflon spray is just to help the stickiness of the slide....again, I misunderstood OPs original issue.