Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
RV Cover for Land Yacht

Has anybody has a positive experience with any kind of cover for the Airstream Land Yacht. Our land Yacht is the low profile older style and
seams to be to low to fit the RV Box style covers.
We've lost out inside storage and are looking for better protection during
the no travel months.. Any suggestions
Old 12-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Look into ClearSpand buildings. You can have them custom made or buy them off the shelf. Tek Supply carries them.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin
Has anybody has a positive experience with any kind of cover for the Airstream Land Yacht. Our land Yacht is the low profile older style and
seams to be to low to fit the RV Box style covers.
We've lost out inside storage and are looking for better protection during
the no travel months.. Any suggestions
Paul,

I know not everyone agrees, but I'm using ADCO covers from C.W. for my 370 Classic and one for my Avion travel trailer. I always wash the vehicle thoroughly before putting the cover on, and make sure it can't shift around in the wind and possibly scratch the surface. You'd probably have to order a custom cover for your MH if it's too low to take the "basic" one, but I'd check on that with C.W. I've used covers on cars for years with no damage to the surface at all. Frankly, I can't afford a building right now, as much as I wish I could. The ADCO covers do a good job considering cost, but of course aren't a good as a building. I've priced even the cheapest buildings, and they all are out of my league right now. Maybe Santa Claus will read this .

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
_

. , .
i too used a cover......

most posts here pan the idea of using a cover, and certainly duct taping a tarp onto an rv isn't a great idea.

i used a custom made cover for many years in the pacific nw. the cover was made from evolution 3 fabric....which has been replaced by evolution 4. worked great, no ill effects, kept pine needles, pine sap, industrial fall out, birdie doodoo and lots of other crap off my classic moho and out of all the little nooks/cranies. it also extended the life of the gaskets, window seals and various rubber & plastic bits that degrade from uv light. while the fabics usually have a short warranty (2-4 yrs) that's with 365 day exposure....mine lasted >10 years.

many companies now make good covers....and one can select based on budget and frequency of usage. google rv covers......shaaaaaazam!

here is a brief review of the various textiles used good/bad and so on.

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/cover_notes.php

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i too used a cover......

most posts here pan the idea of using a cover, and certainly duct taping a tarp onto an rv isn't a great idea.

i used a custom made cover for many years in the pacific nw. the cover was made from evolution 3 fabric....which has been replaced by evolution 4. worked great, no ill effects, kept pine needles, pine sap, industrial fall out, birdie doodoo and lots of other crap off my classic moho and out of all the little nooks/cranies. it also extended the life of the gaskets, window seals and various rubber & plastic bits that degrade from uv light. while the fabics usually have a short warranty (2-4 yrs) that's with 365 day exposure....mine lasted >10 years.

many companies now make good covers....and one can select based on budget and frequency of usage. google rv covers......shaaaaaazam!

here is a brief review of the various textiles used good/bad and so on.

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/cover_notes.php

cheers
2air'
Do you suppose the fabric C.W. calls ADCO SFS is the old Evolution 3 fabric? Mine sure looks like it. Their description isn't clear enough to tell, but I have two of them, and they look just like the Evolution 3 that was on my brother's Coleman pop-up.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi tim and others

yes it appears c.w.'s adco base model is evo 3. i'd prefer this over the tyvek model because it should breath better....and evo 3/4s are plenty soft on the inside....and won't be abrasive if the units clean before covering.

for really wet climates/snow/ice, this product can be coated with 3m type water repellant. also the covers can be washed in the really big tumble washers with a very small amt of soap. mine was zipped together from 3 segments which made handling it easier. usually washed mine yearly.

the sunbrella material looks to be top of the line but i've had no experience with it to suggest the extra cost value.

cheers
2air'
Old 09-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
_

. , .
here ya go......

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
The Bluegrass Express

2000 33' Land Yacht
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to daveshrader
Smile I just bought a 2000 33' land yacht too

Did you ever get a satisfactory solution to the low profile cover issue?

I will be facing the same problem I think.
Mt Pleasant, SC
daveshrader@bellsouth.net
daveshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Without entering the cover or not cover debate, try www.covercraft.com/ .

I had a custom made cover made by them for my previous cab-over camper and was very happy with it. In fact I need to get another one for my new cab-over camper.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Low Profile RV Cover

[quote=daveshrader@]Did you ever get a satisfactory solution to the low profile cover issue?

Dave,
No I didn't buy one for our Airstream Land Yacht. Two reasons;
#1. My brother bought one for his low rider Elandan. We put it on and the
first windstorm tore it to shreds. It was just paper and held moisture
and let dirt in and kept it moist.
#2. I rented indoor storage for $175.00 a month, so the other $350 for a
cover didn't excite me. Problem with where to put it when we travel
and my brothers experience turned me off.
Good Luck,
Paul