Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
Centre County , Pennsylvania
roof tape amount

Hi All,
Getting ready to Eternabond the roof on our Legacy 30, and was wondering about how much and what widths I will need to do the whole roof. If you have a good source, that would be helpful too. Otherwise I will probably just go with Amazon.

Also, do I need to completely remove the putty/sealant that is already in place. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what product was used.

I apologize if I missed a relevant thread; please feel free to direct me there if necessary.

Thanks a lot,
Matthew
matthew_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
98 33' Beach House

1998 33' Land Yacht
Beaufort , South Carolina
Eternally Grateful for Eternabond

Hi Matthew,

I just sealed up the top of my 33 LY last month. The PO had gone wild on the thru-fittings using silicone so I did take my time and remove the excess. You just want a nice 'flat' bonding surface for the Eternabond. Cleaning first with laquer thinner is key. And be sure to press the tape down well when applied.

I ordered the 4"x37' roll. I was able to seal all three skylites and both vents. Before the Eternabond, I was getting a small leak at my center fantastic-fan during heavy rains. After the torrential rain that fell last night and today, not a single drop!

I will say that Eternabond is worth it's weight in gold! I was getting depressed thinking I'd never be able to seal the roof. I'll be using this product on any crack that I see.

Eternabond (now Sticknbond) RV Leak Repair for sale - PPL Motor Homes
mossyoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
It took me 2 4"x50' (PN: RS-4-50) rolls to seal up my 36' LY. That allowed me to seal both quarter rounds; front & back end caps and my skylights. I picked up another 25' to be able to seal all the other roof penetrations, so for my 36 footer it took 125' total. That left me with some remainder for emergency and maintenance since I only used about 10' of the last 25' roll. For your 30 footer I'd say you could get by with just the two 50' rolls.

As I understand it, authentic Eternabond only comes from the factory in 25' and 50' rolls. Be cautious when buying since some places are selling knockoffs for less $$$ that don't work as well.

Proper cleaning and application is key. I used acetone as a cleaner and it worked very well. If you have ANY silicone caulking, it MUST be removed. If it's regular roof caulking, then you just need to make sure it's still sound and clean. Any loose calking must be removed. Check all your roof rivets on the quarter rounds. Any loose or missing rivets must be replaced before you put down the Eternabond.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tips folks. I ended up getting 2 rolls, 4x50. I'll let you know how it comes out as far as coverage. I bought it on ebay, and hopefully I won't have any issues with the fake tape, but it's a reputable seller, so I don't expect I'll have any issues.
matthew_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
I am new here and just learning. Is this a tape to use instead of caulking around vents and such? Can someone post some photos of this in place/use. I think I have a small leak at the top of a window and am not sure if I need to caulk or use a tape like this. Thanks
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Eternabond tape works great for overlapping seams ie: skylights etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post896205

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSmith View Post
I am new here and just learning. Is this a tape to use instead of caulking around vents and such? Can someone post some photos of this in place/use. I think I have a small leak at the top of a window and am not sure if I need to caulk or use a tape like this. Thanks
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Your profile shows still looking, but to answer your question, No.
This tape they are talking about is best used on roofs, flat, broad and very different than windows, as they seal between aluminum and f/g.
It is a visible seam cover, windows usually hid caulking between surfaces.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:

You need to remove the window and replace the original calking with butyl rubber calking. I just did all of my windows. The stuff's not expensive and is fairly easy to work with. Comes in 50' x 3/4" rolls in black or gray and lasts for decades. You just take the window out, clean around the outside of the window with acetone, place the butyl rubber strip around the outside of the window opening and then reinstall the window. Takes about 30 minutes to do the whole job. You may have to remove the inside window treatment to get to the MANY window frame screws. Be careful when you take the last screw out because the window can fall out if you don't have someone holding or have it braced from the outside.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I am new here and just learning. Is this a tape to use instead of caulking around vents and such?
Thanks for asking. I am not so new, just dumb. Never heard of Eternabond. Sounds like something they use in church.