Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Conroe , Texas
Roof problem - white chalk run off

I have 1995 36ft DP Land Yacht Clipper. I have looked on the roof, but not climbed onto it. The manual talks about weight limit of 155 lb, I am 210 and do not want to cave in the roof, so my question is should I lay some board down to distribute my weight or just stay off. The roof is not leaking but I do think it needs help, cleaning and sealing to stop the while residue from washing down. Has any one dealt with my problem and how did you fix it? I am new to the form. THANKS
whitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
The white chalk you speak of is the rubber roof itself. You can get rubber roof cleaner to clean the roof. Regular maintenance and cleaning will keep the amount of chalking down to a minimum.
There is a brand of rubber called RV2000 that is guaranteed not to break down from UV exposure and will not chalk.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Roof Limits

Whit not sure about the weight limits of your Airstream but I use a piece of 1/4" plywood that I glued non skid shelf liner to one side. You know the stuff that comes in a roll and is real rubbery. This seems to distribute the weight sufficiently for my Travel Trailer and does not slip when in use. Beats having to loose 55lbs.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Conroe , Texas
Thanks everyone.

Good Help --- I like the idea of using the shelf liner for a non skid session on the roof. Now I just have to get it done - carefully again thanks.

whit
whitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
You might not have a rubber roof. We have a 1995 30' Cutter and the roof is fiberglass and I bet yours is too. When the roof gets dirty you will get streaks down the side of the rig. Try using a piece of plywood to distribute your weight.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , Mississippi
Whit, glad to see you here. I believe you are the person who emailed me about your Clipper. Dave Massey is the other Clipper owner on the site. This is definately the place to get all the help you need. You do have a fiberlass roof. We get the chalky residue too but have not found the solution yet.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Also have white run off

I had to have an airconditioner installed about 3 years ago. The trailer has been sitting in storage and has developed white residue running off the A/C. Looks bad on the side. Could the plastic in the A/C cover be breaking down so soon
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Landshark II

Currently Looking...
1992 31' Legacy 30
Decatur , Michigan
Hi, had the same problem with my 92 30' legacy. I cleaned my roof (scrub it with brush and soap) when dry I used auto wax on roof.. Stopped all the run off and chaulky mess.
Desikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
thanks , i have washed it but not waxed as I am going to polish.
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Landshark II

Currently Looking...
1992 31' Legacy 30
Decatur , Michigan
chalky run off

Just read a post from some folks on another channel, He said that he washed his roof, and when dry he used mop & glow type floor wax and it worked great... Just read it do not know for sure.
Desikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desikk View Post
Just read a post from some folks on another channel, He said that he washed his roof, and when dry he used mop & glow type floor wax and it worked great... Just read it do not know for sure.
No powdering of my roof yet, but the surface is starting to hold dirt.
I have used acrylic floor wax on my boat, after reading other sites posts about using on the roof, I did it this week. first a good washing, second light bleach, third 5200 boat caulk adhesive to fill the cracks of the roof compound? covering the joints, 4th painted joints with roof cool seal, then two coats of acrylic. It now shines like a new roof, hopefully will stop the dust and dirt adhering.
More work than you want for a season but the wax held up on the boat for about 3 yrs, I figure protected from sun it should last at least 5 yrs.
IF and When you want to remove the wax use an ammonia solution.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote