Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
humoso

2001 31' Land Yacht
Apache Junction , Arizona
Replacement backup camera system

The B&W Sony backup camera monitor in our 2001 LYG-30 is shot (fading fast, barely visible). It had to be replaced, so it was removed. The monitor had actually broken the plastic simulated burl dashboard, so the plastic dash is being replaced also.
We purchased a Voyager 5.6" LCD monitor color backup system to replace the Sony originally in the MoHo. The light LCD monitor will sit on top of the dash, not in the dash as the original did. The new color camera is much smaller than the original and will not fit in the present tilt mount.
We need to replace the original Sony Cable that went from the Sony backup camera to the Sony Monitor with the new one.
Does anyone have any idea of to how the original cable runs?

I had planned on using the old cable to snake the new one in, but can't find out where it goes in the rats nest of wiring behind the dash.

Tom P.
humoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Where did you go to get your plastic dash replaced? Just wondering. My Sony backup monitor also failed and I couldn't find anyone that could repair it, so I also replaced it with the Voyger 6 " B&W. With a little filing on the old opening I got it to fit into the same hole the Sony came out of. I could not find a good way to run new cable inside the coach so I ran it through the firewall and then wire tied it back underneath the bottom of the coach and then fished it back up to the camera.
Side point: On my coach (1993 LY 33') there is a storage compartment behind the engine cover in the floor where the fuse box is located. The cover of the fuse box was a piece of plastic burl that matched the dash, I used this to cover the hole during the time that the camera was removed, when I was trying to get it repaired. Don't know if your coach has a similar set up, just a thought to find something that would match the dash & cover the hole.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
humoso

2001 31' Land Yacht
Apache Junction , Arizona
I replaced the dash myself. Ordered the dash plastic without the monitor hole (both types are in 2001 LYG-30 Parts List) through my local Airstream dealer ($91.00 plus shipping). However the new ones came without the mounting screw holes drilled. Had to use the old broken dash plastic as a template and used a drill press to drill and then countersink the mounting screw holes (holes for the switches, A/C controls, lights and speedometer were thankfully there).
I pulled the front TV and the passenger plastic dash panel to find out where the old Sony cable was routed. It is routed across the length of the dash, through the corner of the curbside windshield support, and then into a trough all along and under the curbside roof. I was unable to pull the old Sony cable out (must be bundled with other wires). Then I ran a steel tape fish down the trough. I can get to the rear of the MoHo, but haven't been able to get around the corner yet. I will try to "fish the fish" through the hole in the rear where the old cable is routed. If I am unable to "fish the fish", I will have to use your method. Appreciate the response.

Tom Plunkett
humoso@aol.com
humoso is offline   Reply With Quote