Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Rear Shock Absorber Support

I was underneath the LY checking the brakes last week and just happened to notice that the support that attaches to the upper end of the right rear shock absorber was detached from the frame.

The support was still attached to the shock, but the rivets that held it to the frame were broken. How that happened is anybody's guess.

Maybe it was that 20 mile stretch of washboard dirt road I drove along the northern shore of Michigan's Upper Peninsula that did it.

I have no idea how long it was like that either. (The drive in the UP was a couple of years ago!)

Anyways, I took it in and they popped the rivet remnants out of the frame and bolted the support back in with some #1 grade bolts and it's as good as new.

I guess it pays to get on your back and get under there once in a while and check things out.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Good find Bob.

Just because it is out of sight does not mean it won't break. The other side looked OK?

I try to crawl under my unit even on the road, anytime I have some free time. Then when you hear a noise you have a better idea what it might be.

I was lucky on our Cape Breton circle trip in 2009 when, on a routine stop, I spotted a broken bracket on my rear waste hose box. If I had not seen it, and traveled the rest of the day over that construction on the east side, I probably would have lost the box. A length of bailing wire did the job until we got to Sidney where I purchase a length of 1/2" alumium tubing and secured it better than OEM.
http://goo.gl/maps/KkHZc

Dave

"I guess it pays to get on your back and get under there once in a while and check things out.[/QUOTE]"
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
shock support

Thanks, Dave, the rig isn't getting any younger so I guess I'll have to be even more vigilant as time goes on. BTW, nice video clip.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bob, I think I'd take it back to the shop and have them use something better than Grade 1 hardware.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Same thing I was thinking. Grade 1 is the weakest. I'm just hoping that this is just a mistake and they really didn't install grade 1 bolts but installed grade 8 instead.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote